UK fan here - Be objective | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UK fan here - Be objective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. So you're sure that's not a product of Syracuse fans from upstate NY simply driving to games in NYC. Kentucky has a 95/5 crowd in the SECT every time we go to Atlanta, Tampa, New Orleans, etc. Would you say that Kentucky "owns" those cities? They're significantly further away from Lexington than Syracuse is from NYC, too.

Put Duke against SU in MSG and I promise there are more Duke fans.

You just named a bunch of legendary basketball cities.. You put Rutgers in a tournament in Tampa, Atlanta, or New Orleans and they probably own the arena too.

Lol at the Duke comment...

i will add one more advantage that we get to play games at MSG. Between early season, St johns and Big east tournament. That's a nice advantage to know you are playing there.

As far as Anothony Davis leading the team in Rebounds, blocks, etc. If he was at SU right now he would also be leading in blocks and rebounds. probably not scoring but possibly.

You mentioned we are not a good rebounding team. But last year Rick Jackson who is not nearly as talented or atheltic as Either Noel or Davis averaged a 13pts, 10reb, and 2.5 blocks.

We also have a track record of developing big men. We took Arinze from unknown to having the best FG% in the nation. only FT% and an injury hurt his chances at the NBA. We took Rick Jackson who was a top 100 recruit but was way out of shape and not very atheletic and turned him into a double double machine. Took Fab Melo who played one year of organized basketball and is now probably a top 20 pick if he leaves this year.

Kentucky advantages are obviously the amount of one and dones and kentuckys history.

What a pathetic conference tournament. 95% for one school in attendance? A ton of interest down there, lol.

Focus of gameplan - Kentucky (A player with similar attributes as Noel is currently UK's leading in scoring, rebounding, blocks and steals. SU's top-5 leading scorers are guards/wings).

Decisions, Decisions...

Yikes, I think I'll check out of this thread; your breakdown might be a little lacking in terms of objectivity, and this board has a sizeable minority of thin-skinned posters who get a little crazy when they perceive a slight.

But that last point is legitimate, and one that I assume Calipari is trying to use to his full advantage. Boeheim won't run an offense through a big. We've had some good ones (LeRon Ellis comes to mind - he tore it up at UK and then came here and was pretty well ignored for two years), but all have been underused. Boeheim's offense involves guards and wings first. The 5 is far down the list in terms of offensive options. If Kentucky can sell Noel on this valid point, good for them.

Finally - and perhaps I shouldn't bother - why are people so resistant to the idea that players pick schools for financial reasons? From the mouth of a member of Syracuse's coaching staff, when asked about our chances for Sam Bowie back in 1979: "Kentucky's getting him; he's asking way more than we can afford. Their boosters are so far ahead of ours." It's bizarre that people believe that recruits (at all elite schools) aren't getting illegal benefits.

Has very little to do with upstaters going downstate. SU's main alumni-base is in NYC. Trust us on this. Duke wouldn't out-draw SU in the garden.

Of all the schools he mentioned, I think Duke would have a shot at it.

Man, that was a pretty dumb comment though. Rutgers has more pub in NYC than SU?

Does anyone remember any memorable moment from the SEC tournament other then Kentucky fans?

Does anyone remember any memorable moment from the SEC tournament other then Kentucky fans?
I would rather watch paint dry than that tournament.

Yikes, I think I'll check out of this thread; your breakdown might be a little lacking in terms of objectivity, and this board has a sizeable minority of thin-skinned posters who get a little crazy when they perceive a slight.

But that last point is legitimate, and one that I assume Calipari is trying to use to his full advantage. Boeheim won't run an offense through a big. We've had some good ones (LeRon Ellis comes to mind - he tore it up at UK and then came here and was pretty well ignored for two years), but all have been underused. Boeheim's offense involves guards and wings first. The 5 is far down the list in terms of offensive options. If Kentucky can sell Noel on this valid point, good for them.

Finally - and perhaps I shouldn't bother - why are people so resistant to the idea that players don't pick schools for financial reasons? From the mouth of a member of Syracuse's coaching staff, when asked about our chances for Sam Bowie back in 1979: "Kentucky's getting him; he's asking way more than we can afford. Their boosters are so far ahead of ours." It's bizarre that people believe that recruits (at all elite schools) aren't getting illegal benefits.
That said, Noel would never have to leave the paint if he were at SU. Can't get drawn out of the key in the zone like AD could at UK.

Since the Big East wasn't around during your other five, I'd say you skewed the numbers a bit. Plus you're an idiot because you compared teams that are now in the Big East that weren't in the Big East when they won an NC.

I'm actually including every single team that has now or at one point been affiliated with the Big East. I am including Louisville's 2, Marquette's 1 and Cincy's 2. And I actually missed Nova's fluke '85 title so you have 11. 11 for an 18 team conference. Take the teams out that won one prior to the arrival in the Big East and you have 6, 3 of which were won by UConn in the past 12 years. Impressive.

He did take Memphis to the finals...same with UMass (I think). Or did those get revoked due to sanctions violations? I forget.
yes... gone

Noel could form one of the best front courts in a long time. UK wouldn't be able to do that.

That's interesting. I just checked the record books and found that last year was Calipari's first Final Four trip.

For now but I suggest checking again in about 4 years. :)

You just named a bunch of legendary basketball cities.. You put Rutgers in a tournament in Tampa, Atlanta, or New Orleans and they probably own the arena too.

Lol at the Duke comment...

Rutgers wouldn't have 2% of the fans in one of those arenas against UK.

He did take Memphis to the finals...same with UMass (I think). Or did those get revoked due to sanctions violations? I forget.
Check the official records.

I stand by my comment.

I'm actually including every single team that has now or at one point been affiliated with the Big East. I am including Louisville's 2, Marquette's 1 and Cincy's 2. And I actually missed Nova's fluke '85 title so you have 11. 11 for an 18 team conference. Take the teams out that won one prior to the arrival in the Big East and you have 6, 3 of which were won by UConn in the past 12 years. Impressive.

Funny thing about Nova's Fluke title(lulz) is that they played Georgetown so even if they lost Big East would have won that title.

Rutgers wouldn't have 2% of the fans in one of those arenas against UK.
Unless you are speaking of the UK arena, that is simply not true. Each team gets an allotment. Rutgers will not travel, but would definitely comprise greater than 2% of the attendance at a NYC area arena for a game against UK. That's stupid to think otherwise.

It's funny, because I actually came to this thread, initially, to actually attempt to look at things objectively. I'd like to think I'm realistic when it comes to assessing Syracuse, and I have no problem pointing out the flaws of this year's team, for instance, and I have said before that the way were are playing these days, I think Kentucky would beat us by double figures.

That said, it's absurd when a UK fan comes here asking us to be objective and does the complete opposite himself, and proceeds to make idiotic comments about how Syracuse would ever get out-drawn in NYC (absurd). These two things, when put together, make me believe this is just a UK fan trying to get a rise out of us, and it's times like this when you've got to remember one very important rule:

dont-feed-the-troll.jpg

Not even mentioning if Melo stays, which he most likely is gone.

what is the purpose of your visit here? According to you, and you are very uninformed, the only thing we have going for us is proximity. So why come here and ask us? I sense fear. Fear that like Coleman, Noel will choose Syracuse. Maybe it will be because he wants to play in a real basketball league. Everyone short of you knows the SEC sucks. Maybe it will be because he wants to play before 30,000. Maybe because he heard what Rex Chapman had to say about your racist fanbase recently. Maybe he liked the Melo center, the best practice facility in America. Maybe he wants to play with a close friend, MCW. Maybe he wants to play for a Hall of Fame coach that has been with the school for 50 years. Or maybe he will choose Providence. Either way, we'll be fine. We don't rely on one and done's.

scumbag-steve-hat-template.png

Scumbag UK fan. Says to be objective. Fills a huge post with spin.

Yep. When the Mississippi St. team that Syracuse beat in the Nat'l semi's beak UK in the SECT. I remember that one.

Here's my breakdown:

Proximity - Given that more than half of SU's games are played at the Dome, then add in a game in Boston, plus a couple of games in the NYC Metro area, two-thirds of his games will be a short drive for friends and family. Throw in a game in DC area too.

Winning - SU wins. Kentucky wins. Beyond that, you're talking minutia. (BTW, SU has won a national championship in the last 10 years. UK has not.)

Preparation for next level - If you're good enough, you will play at the next level. Carmelo Anthony did just fine.

Exposure - Both teams garner national exposure. Playing in the NY area, and playing against Duke and UNC will get plenty of attention. No one cares about SEC basketball. Scouts aren't dumb. They go where the players are.

Playing time - If you're good enough, you will play.

Focus of gameplan - JB is great at getting every player to have a role. If you can score, you will score. If you can't, but you can rebound, that will be your role. Are you good enough to build the team around? If so, JB will. And Michael Carter-Williams looks like a star in waiting. He will get you the ball.

Humor - At SU, we actually have a sense of humor. At UK, not so much.

there is only one solution to this. Since this guy came here, let's send cali over to the Kentucky board. Their surrender would be almost immediate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom