unbelievable refereeing | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

unbelievable refereeing

Most who complain infer that SU lost the game due to bad officiating. However SU would have won if they just made a decent % of FTs instead of the atrocious % they did. It's not that you can't complain about the officials in this case, it's that you shouldn't. SU FT shooting lost the game, the the refs.
SU would have had to be 22 of 23 at the line. That's slightly better than "decent".

the refs unilaterally shrunk the margin of error between the teams - enough to tilt the outcome - not enough to be the only reason unc won - but merely impacting the margin of error is infuriating - to many fans and i'm sure to the team as well.

SU isn't good enough to play uphill and win. they are good enough to play as equals and win, though! they seem, as a team, to be a bit fragile mentally - and when the calls start going against them - they mostly disappear. they are a team that can be more influenced by the circumstances of the game i.e. reffing than most, imo. how many of those missed free throws might have been at least partially caused by feeling cheated by the refs???

yes, if they had just made their FT they probably win - but still, that doesn't and shouldn't excuse the poor refereeing.

just because the refs didn't screw them enough to not give them any chance to win - they left the door open a crack - doesn't mean they aren't culpable for the outcome of the game.

Using “this team is mentally fragile” as an excuse is some galaxy brain level discourse.

SU would have had to be 22 of 23 at the line. That's slightly better than "decent".
Ok..somewhat... some of these were the front ends of 1 and 1... but you are right. However, the main point is they cannot miss that many FTs v. UNC and expect to win.

the refs unilaterally shrunk the margin of error between the teams - enough to tilt the outcome - not enough to be the only reason unc won - but merely impacting the margin of error is infuriating - to many fans and i'm sure to the team as well.

SU isn't good enough to play uphill and win. they are good enough to play as equals and win, though! they seem, as a team, to be a bit fragile mentally - and when the calls start going against them - they mostly disappear. they are a team that can be more influenced by the circumstances of the game i.e. reffing than most, imo. how many of those missed free throws might have been at least partially caused by feeling cheated by the refs???

yes, if they had just made their FT they probably win - but still, that doesn't and shouldn't excuse the poor refereeing.

just because the refs didn't screw them enough to not give them any chance to win - they left the door open a crack - doesn't mean they aren't culpable for the outcome of the game.
I agree about the officiating. I see it almost every game they play.

Or maybe some combination of mediocre FT shooting and mediocre rebounding.

But that would imply that maybe Cuse lost because of things they did poorly, as opposed to being a victims of a convenient boogeyman.

The game would have been much closer and changed every aspect of it if we hit just 75%

That's pretty much what I just pointed out but you said it a little better.

But that would imply that maybe Cuse lost because of things they did poorly, as opposed to being a victims of a convenient boogeyman.
I hate hearing how a zone team can't rebound. And recently I learned that Boeheim tells his players to just go after the ball instead of first trying to find a man to box out.

Ok..somewhat... some of these were the front ends of 1 and 1... but you are right. However, the main point is they cannot miss that many FTs v. UNC and expect to win.
We missed 1 front half of a 1-and-1. Remember, only 6 fouls were called on UNC in the first half.

So, we would have needed 22-24 from the line.

More reasonable--SU makes 4 more (17-24), and UNC makes 5 less (29-37). Got to work on that FT defense. ;)

Or--get a few more rebounds.

We missed 1 front half of a 1-and-1. Remember, only 6 fouls were called on UNC in the first half.

So, we would have needed 22-24 from the line.

More reasonable--SU makes 4 more (17-24), and UNC makes 5 less (29-37). Got to work on that FT defense. ;)

Or--get a few more rebounds.
A closer game due to FT makes would have changed the FT disparity. SU would not have fouled as much (on purpose) so yes indeed, they would have made 5 less :) Making FTs would have been good FT defense.

This team clearly has lots of things it can and should do better...

But it also doesn't change the fact that the 14 fouls whistled on us in the 1st half didn't call themselves.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom