UNC Postmortem | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UNC Postmortem

If we want to play with Duke and UNC we need more talented players. Simple as that. The talent disparity is obvious. Red has 2 nice pieces coming in next year. Give him a little time. This thrashing has nothing to do with his in game coaching. BTW, did the NCAA pass something to allow Bacot to play 8 years?

We are the textbook definition of mediocre. It’s great to see them beating the dregs of the NCAA but getting curb stomped by every good team = no man’s land. I don’t think this team is going to be any better come March. We just don’t have the talent yet to match up with these upper echelon teams.

Yeah, sadly that is the case. The program has atrophied from perennial powerhouse to perennial bubble team, to lower-mid table. I like Red, the clock is ticking or we will fade into perennial basement dweller.

The absolute face-planting against any team with a pulse is troubling. It's football-esque. The roster is flawed, but not THAT flawed. When things go wrong, this group unravels faster than I have ever seen which leads to the big margins of defeat.

We are the textbook definition of mediocre. It’s great to see them beating the dregs of the NCAA but getting curb stomped by every good team = no man’s land. I don’t think this team is going to be any better come March. We just don’t have the talent yet to match up with these upper echelon teams.
March? We haven’t been on the bubble all year.

A lot of posters have correctly pointed out that we don’t have enough shooters or size and that is a horrific combination. My biggest issue today was the lack of effort that at times was glaring. That is something you can control.
-there were multiple occasions where guys did not run back on defense after turning the ball over.
-there were multiple occasions when we could not get the ball inbounds because guys were not moving to get open.
-a number of posters were killing red today, and it was not his best game. At times we looked surprised that Carolina was allowed to defend inbound plays. The lack of effort I referred to continued throughout the game without holding guys responsible. But at the end of the day this team is 11 and 5 and has not lost to anybody they shouldn’t have. He is doing the best he can with a flawed roster. And a talented, huge, experienced UNC team is our worst possible matchup.
-Red does need to have our guards take care of the ball and distribute. Our guards didn’t get anybody good looks today.
-we take way too many off balance, contested shots which exacerbates our shooting issues
-this was clearly Taylor‘s worst game of the year. On the play where neither Judah nor JJ moved to get open he inexplicably just chucked it up instead of calling a time out. He looked deflated playing out there late with the scrubs. But to give up on this kid as a sophomore is insane. He looks like he has a crisis of confidence shooting the ball. But this is the same kid who went off against Bryant and Boston College last year and we do not get that win against Colgate without him. He always plays hard. Sophomores improve, especially ones with good attitudes who always play hard. He can still be a significant piece.
-unfortunately Carey still doesn’t look 100% but he’s already better than mounir
-like I said unc is our worst possible matchup. Sophomores will continue to improve. How we react at Pittsburgh will be telling.

Like a man playing with boys. Young boys.
R.c6fa3077d92a8c985579f3a156fb7509.jpeg

UNC had 85 points with 10 minutes still left in the game.

Last edited:
March? We haven’t been on the bubble all year.
False. The fact we have zero bad losses and a winning record would put us on the bubble. Would we get in today, idk, our signature win was against an injured Oregon team. But we would definitely be in the conversation for an at large bid, even if we don’t look like a tournament team.

False. The fact we have zero bad losses and a winning record would put us on the bubble. Would we get in today, idk, our signature win was against an injured Oregon team. But we would definitely be in the conversation for an at large bid, even if we don’t look like a tournament team.
Just because you say false doesn’t mean jt is. We have one good win, we have 3 games left against ranked teams, one more UNC and two against Clemson who may not even be ranked by the time we play them. We have very few games that would be quad 1, I’m not sure there is a path or was a path.

My fear is does Red have the pedigree to go out and get impact players from the portal? I think he’s a good recruiter but there may not be a lot to sell after this year other than playing time unfortunately. Moore and Freeman are good and should help, but it’s a lot to ask for a couple freshmen to come in and flip a team from borderline NIT to what we want as a fan base. Westry may also help but is such a wild card that it’s hard to get excited until we see proof he can stay healthy and hasn’t lost his form after the injuries.

Just because you say false doesn’t mean jt is. We have one good win, we have 3 games left against ranked teams, one more UNC and two against Clemson who may not even be ranked by the time we play them. We have very few games that would be quad 1, I’m not sure there is a path or was a path.
I agree that we need a few signature wins. Depended on how many will be based on if we pick up any bad losses.

that’s the same argument you could make for 80% would BC be in? Or Pitt? They are in the same exact boat.

Clean slate. Need a completely new roster. Out rebounded by 23. -16 in 2nd chance points. No need for 2nd chance points bc -12% FG%. Worst ACC loss ever. Shades of that Kansas game in Alaska.
3 man weaving ourselves to death before some circus shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom