UNC Postmortem | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

UNC Postmortem

Dang, I didn’t watch the game… because let’s be honest, why? I didn’t realize it was a 36 point loss. That’s embarrassing and can’t happen to a conference opponents. What are we the Washington Generals?

I think back to this offseason when optimism ran high even after losing 50% of our offense and I try to remember why:
- number one ranked portal recruit at the time… turned out to be a complete dud, but every coach in America would take it
- mintz coming back… even he can’t carry this team to wins
- Benny getting better… haven’t seen it
- m2m D… the d is suffocating at times and is good enough to win gameA against average teams. But it can’t overcome the rebounding issues and the offensive issues against good teams
- JT, Bell, Copeland getting better… Copeland has but he still can’t shoot. Other two try their best but it’s not enough against good teams
- Westry getting hurt was a kick to walnuts

Again I can’t fault Autry for the team he picked. But at some point he needs to show an offensive system that gets shots against good teams. His D is improved… but again I’m not seeing anything beyond surface level strategy. He also needs to prove he can make tough rotation decisions and he’s doing that with playing time… but I think he might need to do more.

Everyone saying Red will turn the roster over next year, wasn’t he the one who brought in JJ, McLeod and Cuffe? He had an opportunity to turn the roster over in the offseason by bringing in these 3 transfers and it appears as though he whiffed on all of them. None of them have had an immediate impact.
And they’re all sophomores. What the team needed was senior leadership to steward the existing sophs through the season.

Were on to Pittsburg.

Go CUSE

That's definitely our biggest game coming up over the next few days so hopefully we can focus in and rebound from this one. UNC has our number - they always do it seems.

That being said, that Pitt game is a time for some guys to go out there and show some fire. A guy like Taylor really needs to put this one behind him and get back on track. Could use some more out of a lot of guys - so it's on the staff now to get them fired up and ready to compete.

They’re a good college basketball team. Clearly top 25.

We cannot compete with top 25 college basketball teams.

Sometimes it’s simple.
And yet powerhouse georGia tech can almost beat Duke twice. The staff has not acquitted themselves very well thus far.

UNC didn't even shoot the ball particularly well.
Allowing them to get an extra 25 Field Goal Attempts** is insane. Too many offensive boards, too many turnovers.

** Added 3 extra shots as consideration for the 6 additional free throw attempts they had.

I will say this much; Bacot committed 3 fouls in the first 2:30 of the game. There was the one that was called, then the no-call on Judah's drive where there was body contact, and then pushing Maliq Brown from behind to get the early offensive rebound. That chicken-wing pinning of Brown for the first foul was repeated a couple more times by Bacot during the game. Not a fan of dirty play like that.

Otherwise, we had a glass jaw today. We didn't compete. We stood around on offense. Hima with an airball from 4 feet unguarded. I mean, that was a terrible game, all around.

10 shots in a row at Pop-a-shot at Dave and Busters? Because there’s zero chance he can do that on a real basketball hoop. I think his form is horrendous.

He shot does not seem "soft", does it? I don't think his form is terrible, but his touch is not great. His misses are some real "clangers" that you can hear on TV sometimes.

No, we definitely aren’t a tourney team. What I meant was most teams play better in March than December or January. I just don’t see it here. We are more stale than yesterday’s bread.

Friendly reminder: We had won 6 out of our last 7, and 8 out of our last 10 coming into the UNC game. We had started the season 5-3, and then went 7-2. That is clearly progress, today's butt-kicking notwithstanding.

Again I can’t fault Autry for the team he picked. But at some point he needs to show an offensive system that gets shots against good teams. His D is improved… but again I’m not seeing anything beyond surface level strategy. He also needs to prove he can make tough rotation decisions and he’s doing that with playing time… but I think he might need to do more.

I agree about the lack of offense, and that the D is improved over the early season.
I do think he has made, and continues to make tough decisions about the rotation.
Benny benched, Judah benched, Copeland turned into a starter, Brown turned into a starter.
I think he just keeps it all in-house and doesn't bad mouth kids in the post-game press conference.

I agree about the lack of offense, and that the D is improved over the early season.
I do think he has made, and continues to make tough decisions about the rotation.
Benny benched, Judah benched, Copeland turned into a starter, Brown turned into a starter.
I think he just keeps it all in-house and doesn't bad mouth kids in the post-game press conference.
I think last paragraph is spot on, and appreciated by this fan anyway. Plus if you take subtle shots at talent level you are indicting JB for mailing it in and I'm sure Red doesn't want to do that.

Friendly reminder: We had won 6 out of our last 7, and 8 out of our last 10 coming into the UNC game. We had started the season 5-3, and then went 7-2. That is clearly progress, today's butt-kicking notwithstanding.
I can agree with that. We haven’t been losing to teams we shouldn’t be losing to like the last few seasons. While I am happy with that progress, there still seems to be such a huge gap between us and the teams at the top. These beat downs they are giving us just show how far we still have to go to get to where we once were and hopefully will be again.

Unless next year is a disaster he should get three years. I’m not opposed to a fourth year if year three shows a lot.
Well that’ll bring Red to age 55 or so. We can start talking about his retirement replacement.

So how long does Red get?
3 years. Red was left with a mess by Jim who should have allowed Hop to take over as planned.
Edwards pulling screwing us at the last minute was a nightmare for Red.
I'm a big fan of his but he needs to transition from the friend zone to the coach zone. Obviously between Benny being a head case and Judah having to sit he is dealing with some crap that never bodes well for a team.
He needs a center and another scoring forward from the portal.
Add those pieces along with the two incoming frosh and the team will be dramatically better.
Tell Benny Hima, to find new homes.
Go with
Cope PG
Starling 2
Portal 3
Brown 4
Portal 5
Freeman, and the other frosh off the bench.
7'4 back up 5

We don't have any real interior players. I hope the people that were suggesting Brown could go to the NBA after this year can wake up from there dream world now. He can't rebound against real rebounders and he doesn't create scoring for himself, it's almost all dump offs when a perimeter player draws his man. He deserves credit for cutting and making himself available, but that's hardly draft worthy.

With no real interior players, our guards aren't good enough to make up the difference. There's some talent there, but nobody is elite, which is what we need to make up for our lack of interior play.

Why is it that whenever another team runs pick, it looks like our guys are seeing it for the first time? Either the guy with the ball has a red carpet to the bucket or the pick setter rolls for a layup. Along with that, it seems like we have no idea how to help on defense when someone gets beat off the dribble.

Lots of work to do schematically and improving the roster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom