UNH post game | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

UNH post game

If the 2 guards dont shoot 3s then its 7-20 that needs to be better.

Bell is the worst good shooter you will ever see.. His misses are so off line I just dont get it

Taylor if we had any way to go in and then out is the one guy who seems to be able to shoot.

copeland makes some really nice plays, is way too out of control, but also made several key rebounds, and should never shoot a 3 unless we need one,

How is any Div 1 team so full of guys with 15 ft range .

we were dreadful inside 5 - 10 ft and we need to make those since we have no post up game from anyone.

The UNH guards got anywhere they wanted once we got 10 min into the game we are way too lazy, we dont slide feet. What saved us tonight was out size and hands on some passes.

That last non charge call was dreadul

A few thoughts
-Disappointed that I didn’t see more of an evolution of Judah’s game. I thought he was playing hero ball on both ends. Didn’t see him make any good passes off the dribble. Devo correctly pointed out that his defense was not good enough. His shot selection was questionable and his outside shot didn’t look any better than last year. Hopefully this is rust given that he missed the first exhibition game.
-I liked what I saw from JJ for the most part. His shot actually looked better than in the exhibition games though the numbers don’t back that up and he went to the basket strong. It looked like he got banged up and I’m sure he would’ve been out there in the final minutes if something wasn’t not right.
-Taylor uncharacteristically had some bad turnovers early but I thought his four point play and foul line jumper were two of the biggest plays in the game. Also was happy to see him go to the basket and pick up the fifth foul on their best player. His man to man has to be better though.
-looks like Maliq hurt himself when we were pressing, and I was surprised he was as effective as much as he was in the second half. I thought McLeod did some good things, and I was surprised that he barely played. Much like in the second exhibition game Carey had a couple of moments where he showed his athleticism, and I’m somewhat surprised that he seems to have already beaten out Hima.
-Quadir was trick or treat. He drove me crazy with unnecessary flashy plays that turned into turnovers, and he also took some ill-advised shots including awful three-point shots. But he also hustled and ended up with 13 rebounds. If the kid ever learns the value of not turning the ball over, he can be pretty useful.
-I’m excited about Cuffe. I think he is incredibly athletic and that one three was a big shot. I’m looking forward to seeing him evolve and play some big minutes.
-Bell looked absolutely miserable on the bench. I’d prefer that he pretend to care about his teammates when he’s not in the game.
-I would’ve played more man to man down the stretch. Hard to critique Red tonight, but there is something to be said for the fact that nobody seemed to panic when the lead got chopped down.
-The most surprising thing tonight was how good Devo was and how bad Matt Park was. Devo made a lot of good observations even though he was playing the role of the Syracuse homer. For some reason Matt park couldn’t figure out that Judah had 4 fouls and when the game was getting close he seemed not to notice.
-i’ll always take the win. But really a confusing game and it’s hard to know what to take from it.

Last edited:
Some pieces are there but it might be a rough season.

Judah - seemed nonchalant all night. Still got his. But he played selfishly I thought. Devo called out his lazy defense. I dont worry about this type of attitude in Maui or for big games - but he needs to stay locked in. Looked rusty overall.

JJ needs to find where he fits in this offense. Says a lot that Red didn’t have him in at the end. He’s a non shooter from deep at this point. I do think hell have big games where he dominates his matchup - same with Judah.

This offense will be a lot of 1 on 1 in the half court from those 2. I’m sure it’ll work some games but it will get frustrating to watch.

Taylor is a big piece. He hit some big shots late in the game after having a bad first half. I think he’ll end up being our best 3pt shooter. He plays physical.

Cope/Cuffe are going to be awesome to watch. They both bring a whole lot and the game changes when they’re in. Cuffe seems to be a threat from 3. Copeland is a very good rebounder for his size - Paul Harris?

Overall the defense was aggressive early, a ton of deflections. Hated that Red went zone at the end.

If Bell isn’t making shots he can’t be in there - especially when Benny is back and with how Cope is playing.

Today was a rough matchup for Naheim, if the other team has a 5 that can play on the perimeter it makes it tough to have him out there. But he’ll big crucial in Maui and against teams with size.

Carey over Hima? Maybe a matchup thing?

Brown is super consistent. It was critical he was able to play today. Hope that injury doesn’t keep him out of games.

There will definitely be growing pains but the pieces are there. If we can have 2-3 guys who consistently hit 3s, I think it’ll open it all up for Judah and JJ. I think Starling will be fine and get comfortable, but he’ll need time to figure it out. I think our bench overall is very good - Copeland/Cuffe/Brown. I hope when Benny comes back Taylor stays in the lineup

Great opening 10 mins. Rough final 30. Judah has to be much better. Red needs to get these guys fighting and playing hard for 40 mins. Right now he's getting about half that.

There's a clear the pieces don't fit yet and the kids need to play for each other more challenge. Step 1 is don't lose these type of games.
The intensity level and effort on Defense blew me. Specifically Brown, Judah and Taylor at times. It was not good matchup for big Duke. It's all good, I think we have some work to do.

I hated the two 3 's he took and when he took them. Plus, he is still too careless with the ball. Talent, no doubt. But those two things are troublesome.
fair enough...he'sprobably the 4th player I would choose to run PG on this roster...

it's just funny to me to see a lot of comments pinpointing copeland negatively...when, for me, there was A LOT of other more worrying aspects of the game.

fair enough...he'sprobably the 4th player I would choose to run PG on this roster...

it's just funny to me to see a lot of comments pinpointing copeland negatively...when, for me, there was A LOT of other more worrying aspects of the game.
You are free to post the things that bothered you.

the defense has shown to been poor at times against lesser competition.
Team Defense is about reacting quickly and knowing where you have to be. They just don’t have it right now. This is really where we gambled by not going after a coach who has proven he can be a tactician.

Maybe red can be that guy but I’m not seeing it so far. Doesn’t mean all is lost, though, if he can make up for it by bringing in better talent.

Suspect he will see more time when we play larger teams. He was getting out quicked by the smaller dudes. At times several of our players were not doing very well against this team
He looked great with the one post move he had. The bigger issue is how to keep him closer to the basket when the other team’s center tries to draw him out.

I would have loved to knit pick a win after the football game Friday night. :rolleyes:

Dunno why we never tried to Big Boy them with our massive size differential.

McLeod scored easily the 1 time we got him the ball cleanly.
JT forced 2 bad passes to him that were TO’s, but at least he was looking for the big fella.

Taylor Swish & Q both stuffed the stat lines, in good and bad ways.
(4 TO’s each)

Liked Bell’s energy and hustle, but -
He got beat a bunch too.
(Like when Maliq had to fly out to cover the corner 3 and fouled the shooter, like Devo said - that was Bell’s bad.)

We can’t have Judah & JJ just looking for their own, and forcing HARD shots that aren’t going in.
At least Judah draws a ton of fouls while doing that.

Maliq did Maliq things, and other than missing a bunny, had his usual solid game (in spite of being maybe a little limited physically still)

Cuffe will be an X factor for this team.
Smart, strong, solid on both ends.
Kids a baller.

Edited to add: Dunno why we weren’t throwing ooops over these smurfs heads all night long.
(Posted this in text thread w my buddies)
We had a size advantage at every single position.
You’d think we could throw it up and let our athletes go get it and throw it down, but that only happened the one time to Carey.

Last edited:
Judah has to distribute more. There’s times to go get a bucket and there’s times to run the offense and move the ball around. It doesn’t have to be 100-0 one way or the other and that’s clearly something he still has to figure out.
Feel like I’ve posted this 50 times.
He wants NBA. don’t care about cuse.

Early overreaction.

Not a tournament team but I like the direction we're going. It's going to take a bit to get there though.
We need to rebound a lot better if we want to get out and run. But I think that will come with some time as the season goes on and Maliq gets healthy. The main thing is that we lack outside shooting. Going into the season, I think we all thought Starling would supplement Taylor and Bell in the 3-point shooting dept. But something is definitely going on with him and his shot, as two3 and others pointed out. I assume it can be fixed. He can get the rim at will, but he just didn’t finish tonight. I wonder if he’s going to be like Gbinije at the beginning of his junior year. JB and the staff expected him/were relying on him to take a big leap forward, and then he played really badly/lots of no-shows the first four weeks of that season, and it was sort of a code red situation. But then he really started to ramp things up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom