UNH post game | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

UNH post game

Be honest, I wasn’t able to watch the game real close. My takes may be completely off.

1 - way to much iso ball. As talented as Mintz is, he is a ball stopper. Couple times he drove, defender bit down leaving the perimeter player wide open and he refused to pass. Wish he passed more and used that to get other guys going.

2- I am not a Bell fan. Continues to not impress me. Doesn’t play good defense and just stands around on offense. It would be one thing if he hit shots, but he’s not a knock down shooter, even though he’s supposed to be. He really doesn’t provide anything for the team.

3- I think our guys got too comfortable getting an easy big lead. They got on top and everything went there way early. They got bored, and let up. It’s hard to get going again once you take the foot off the gas. Maybe I’m being too optimistic.

4- I liked what I saw from Copeland. As I said earlier, I wasn’t able to watch closely. But he rebounded the ball, always looked to pass and get the better shot. Just looked to make plays. I’m sure there were some negatives, but he showed some good flashes.

5- we took way too many mid range shots. The name of the game is layups, dunks, 3pt shots. We are clearly not a great shooting team. I think some of that is lack of ball movement and pull up shots. Ball movement creates better, open, set shots. Players shoot a higher percentage in catch and shoot then a dribble pull up. Part of the reason why I think we are below average shooting team. But settling for pull up jumpers is not going to be a recipe for success.

Just what I expected for first 10 mins. They got comfortable with the big lead and they all were selfish playing 1 on 1 ball the rest of the way. Missing Benny hurts. They have a long way to go but I’ll be positive about the start and chalk up the sloppiness to being first game with big lead then got a little tight. But take a win for first one

- Maliq understands his role with the team is bigger and takes it seriously. Also has no preference between man and zone

- Justin Taylor laughed a little bit about how far off his first 3 was (You can do that when your next attempt is a 4pt play)

Last edited:
Speaking of over reactions - if this team figures out how to shoot they become an absolute nightmare to defend. There is a ton to improve upon.
I've never been a fan of jumping to conclusions based on small samples with pieces missing. If this team had played the whole game like they played the first ten minutes, this place would be orgasmic.

Everybody needs to take a deep breath.
paper bag GIF

One thing that is important is that while they did get tight- that game was never once in doubt. We can't toy with teams when we have a lead but be it a higher degree of difficulty or not - there was no issue getting a bucket or FTs when we needed it.

This again felt like the first exhibition on repeat.

Team is going to need a beat to come together.

Maliq needs to get healthy. Benny needs to get it together and be back playing.

This team has to continuously apply pressure at the rim and get to the FT line and let open shots develop after that.

We have to stop taking off the dribble threes.

This isn’t going to be Red’s ideal team. That’s coming. But this team will be fine.

We aren’t going to magically become a great outside shooting team. But if we focus on transition, attacking the rim, relentless pressure - that’s better than relying on jumpers.

Should be a fun team. Just need to keep our heads in the game and stick to the plan. A little too much hero ball and just some poor choice shots, but it’s game 1.

We're not going to be a good rebounding team. Especially without Benny and with Brown not 100%.
Rebounding is one of my primary concerns about this team right now, along with 3 point shooting. But to grandly pronounce after the first game that we won’t be a good rebounding team is hyperbole. Let’s see if they can improve in that area. I think they can. Do you think Brown will be hurt all season, and Benny won’t be coming back?

You are free to post the things that bothered you.
I mean...happy for the win...and dont want to pile on the negativity ...but since you asked
  • that benny williams is not in uniform due to whatever it was (his replacement got 13 rebounds and stuffed the stat sheet but people wanna criticize him)
  • that preseason/training camp left 2/3 players injured and unable to perform
  • that judah did not faciliate any offense. like zero.
  • that the starting guards cant shoot
  • that the team started off like they were easily going to score 100 in a laugher...and after the opponent adjusted...the gameplan was nonexistant from there
  • the 1 on 1 iso play as soon as they got a little lead - was it the players just relaxing? or was it with the coaches blessing? either way it sucked as a strategy and shouldve been obvious
  • that the opposing team had 1 scorer but kept getting wide open looks
  • that the 7'4' player wasnt used in the zone
  • that it doesnt look like there is any offense for when teams pack it in the paint
  • standing around on offense
  • 1 on 1 iso offense
  • UNH had more assists in the 1st half than SU
  • the team seemed to fold immediately once the game stopped going their way
  • taylor had 4 turnover in the 1st half
  • this game shoudlve been a blowout...but was close at the end...

One thing that is important is that while they did get tight- that game was never once in doubt. We can't toy with teams when we have a lead but be it a higher degree of difficulty or not - there was no issue getting a bucket or FTs when we needed it.

This again felt like the first exhibition on repeat.
Hear what you are saying but I was a bit worried until Taylor fouled out Daniels.

I never seen much said about the foul that was number 5 on Cuffee? Was that a block or a charge. Sure looked like a charge to me.

There was a lot of good and bad from everyone in this game.

Extremely concerned about JJ and Judah making shots. They need to cut down on the hero ball.

Loved the Peter Carey time. Looks like she’s ahead of Hima now.

I like Taylor better than Bell. He was fine when he didn’t make a post entry pass.

Q is just a maniac. The crazy turnovers have to be avoided.

The half court offense was a mess. The defense is still missing a ton of rotations. There’s a lot that’s fixable. We need to be able to rebound and not turn the ball over because I don’t think we have a consistent shooter outside of JT.

Rebounding is one of my primary concerns about this team right now, along with 3 point shooting. But to grandly pronounce after the first game that we won’t be a good rebounding team is hyperbole. Let’s see if they can improve in that area. I think they can. Do you think Brown will be hurt all season, and Benny won’t be coming back?
I think Brown is likely to get healthier, and I think Benny will be back at some point, but even with both of them I think we're not going to be a good rebounding team to be honest.

I'm not sure how worried about that we need to be. We can still be pretty good, even if we don't rebound well consistently.

As soon as Judah started doing what he did last year and become that dominate scoring point guard he failed and the team failed. Needs to straighten out.

Why so little McLeod? He literally stopped their entire time from getting into the paint.

The Daniels dude is legit. Not sure how he isn’t in a bigger league.
Daniels reminded me of Walter Berry.

I think Copeland might play some guard to end the first half, when two of our guards get 2 fouls. Love what I'm seeing from Justin going back to the second half against St Rose. He is beginning to understand when to put the ball on the floor. I like Carey he sees the ball and his man every play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom