UNH post game | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

UNH post game

The lineup was coached a bit too deep tonight. UNH is not very good and they hung with us all night.
Its going to take until mid January for these guys to gel. We will most likely get crushed in Hawaii but be better for it in league play. Red is learning as well. Rome wasn't built in a day. Red has to completely rebuild this program from a pretty low point. Its not going to be easy or fast.

It’s going to take until mid January for these guys to gel. We will most likely get crushed in Hawaii but be better for it in league play. Red is learning as well. Rome wasn't built in a day. Red has to completely rebuild this program from a pretty low point. It’s not going to be easy or fast.
Red did what he could to get together this roster. We will be better in a much better place in 2 years.

So not to make anything of the concerns we have.. but just a little nugget... UNH has made it a habit whether decent or not of not getting blown out in their buy games early in the year. They are a pesky program regardless of coach for some reason. The current coach seems to be ready to keep that trend.

5- we took way too many mid range shots. The name of the game is layups, dunks, 3pt shots. We are clearly not a great shooting team. I think some of that is lack of ball movement and pull up shots. Ball movement creates better, open, set shots. Players shoot a higher percentage in catch and shoot then a dribble pull up. Part of the reason why I think we are below average shooting team. But settling for pull up jumpers is not going to be a recipe for success.

In light of how unreliable most of our guards are from three, I would rather that they take the occasional mid-range jumper - advanced statistics be damned - because otherwise they will try to make everything a layup, which is even easier to defend.

Neither can shoot a lick from outside going to be difficult to play them both at the same time in the ACC. ESPN says they are both 6 4 but man they look much shorter than that. Taylor is 6 6 but looks like he towers over them and he looks like he’s bulked up too. He’s got to play more and shoot more. The ball hogging guards chucking up 3s is not a winning formula against better teams
Mintz measured as a true 6'3" at the combine. Until you see that, you take every height measurement with a Rothstein sized grain of salt.

But Mintz has short arms for a baller, his wingspan and height are equal, so he plays shorter on defense.

A few thoughts

-The most surprising thing tonight was how good Devo was and how bad Matt Park was. Devo made a lot of good observations even though he was playing the role of the Syracuse homer. For some reason Matt park couldn’t figure out that Judah had 4 fouls and when the game was getting close he seemed not to notice.
-i’ll always take the win. But really a confusing game and it’s hard to know what to take from it.

I was wondering if Matt Park had a few pops before the game. He had a lot of misstatements.

Team Defense is about reacting quickly and knowing where you have to be. They just don’t have it right now. This is really where we gambled by not going after a coach who has proven he can be a tactician.

Maybe red can be that guy but I’m not seeing it so far. Doesn’t mean all is lost, though, if he can make up for it by bringing in better talent.
Or hire an assistant who can focus on teaching man to man defense and is really good at it. Beilein, who was always know as an offensive mastermind, did that at Michigan in 2017-18 with Luke Yaklich and their defense improved a ton and they made the Final Four.
I thought Griff would be the man leading the defensive charge at Cuse since he was Archie Miller’s assistant at Dayton where they played the pack line D and had a few really highly rated defensive teams during his 7 years there.

Some pieces are there but it might be a rough season.

Judah - seemed nonchalant all night. Still got his. But he played selfishly I thought. Devo called out his lazy defense. I dont worry about this type of attitude in Maui or for big games - but he needs to stay locked in. Looked rusty overall.

JJ needs to find where he fits in this offense. Says a lot that Red didn’t have him in at the end. He’s a non shooter from deep at this point. I do think hell have big games where he dominates his matchup - same with Judah.

This offense will be a lot of 1 on 1 in the half court from those 2. I’m sure it’ll work some games but it will get frustrating to watch.

Taylor is a big piece. He hit some big shots late in the game after having a bad first half. I think he’ll end up being our best 3pt shooter. He plays physical.

Cope/Cuffe are going to be awesome to watch. They both bring a whole lot and the game changes when they’re in. Cuffe seems to be a threat from 3. Copeland is a very good rebounder for his size - Paul Harris?

Overall the defense was aggressive early, a ton of deflections. Hated that Red went zone at the end.

If Bell isn’t making shots he can’t be in there - especially when Benny is back and with how Cope is playing.

Today was a rough matchup for Naheim, if the other team has a 5 that can play on the perimeter it makes it tough to have him out there. But he’ll big crucial in Maui and against teams with size.

Carey over Hima? Maybe a matchup thing?

Brown is super consistent. It was critical he was able to play today. Hope that injury doesn’t keep him out of games.

There will definitely be growing pains but the pieces are there. If we can have 2-3 guys who consistently hit 3s, I think it’ll open it all up for Judah and JJ. I think Starling will be fine and get comfortable, but he’ll need time to figure it out. I think our bench overall is very good - Copeland/Cuffe/Brown. I hope when Benny comes back Taylor stays in the lineup

Good comments and one area of disagreement

JJ only sat late because of his rolled ankle. Autry did not sit him for any reason besides that . Come crunch time JJ will be on the court

Mediocre roster

I saw poor shot selection and lots of one and dones

UNH sucks

Long year ahead
Keanu Reeves Lionsgate GIF by John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum

Red did what he could to get together this roster. We will be better in a much better place in 2 years.
I feel the same way.

Don’t expect a whole lot this year.

We need to understand this is a multi-year rebuild from a pretty low level.

I think Brown is likely to get healthier, and I think Benny will be back at some point, but even with both of them I think we're not going to be a good rebounding team to be honest.

I'm not sure how worried about that we need to be. We can still be pretty good, even if we don't rebound well consistently.
imo, I feel like we have to figure out a way to be a good rebounding team. If you want to get out and run, you have to rebound the ball. Think of all of Roy Williams’ Kansas and UNC teams. They were known for great rebounding and then immediately pushing the ball up the court and getting out on the break. I think that’s what Red wants to do.

Devo made one of his best remarks early in the second half. He said Judah needed to get the rest of the team involved because he can get what he does anytime he wants. I was disappointed in what he brought to the court tonight.

Cuffe, Brown, Taylor, JJ and Cope all showed some good things that should get better as we go through the year. I'm a little concerned that Taylor is not going to be quick enough to handle some opponents on defense. We will need him in the game for his offense.

Red is going to need a lot of patience riding the roller coaster he will be on with this crowd of unfinished talent.

imo, I feel like we have to figure out a way to be a good rebounding team. If you want to get out and run, you have to rebound the ball. Think of all of Roy Williams’ Kansas and UNC teams. They were known for great rebounding and then immediately pushing the ball up the court and getting out on the break. I think that’s what Red wants to do.
Oh I completely agree that's what Red wants to do.

I'm just sayin', Nick Collison's not walking through that door, and even if you squint really hard, you're probably not confusing Peter Carey with Collison.

Suspect he will see more time when we play larger teams. He was getting out quicked by the smaller dudes. At times several of our players were not doing very well against this team
The only player who shouldn't see the floor is Bell, no defense, no rebounding, and a one trick pony who doesn't even do that well.

I hated the two 3 's he took and when he took them. Plus, he is still too careless with the ball. Talent, no doubt. But those two things are troublesome.
He needs to pass the damn ball. He had Taylor wide open and he dribbled into a turnover. His antics won’t fly with better teams and he should never be shooting threes. Boeheim would of pulled
Him immediately and red needs to learn to do that

He needs to pass the damn ball. He had Taylor wide open and he dribbled into a turnover. His antics won’t fly with better teams and he should never be shooting threes. Boeheim would of pulled
Him immediately and red needs to learn to do that
Lmao. I mean….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom