UNH post game | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

UNH post game

Ok, whoever compared Cuffe to Stevie Thompson and I was skeptical….I can see it now.

Not saying he’ll ever be nearly that productive. But in terms of being like 6’2 but playing like he’s 6’7. Seems more comfortable as a wing than as a ballhandler, shot looks decent, and man does he get up! I couldn’t believe some of those rebounds were him. That tip dunk attempt was nuts, would’ve been an all time great dunk and it was really close to happening.

Love seeing some elite athleticism in Orange again. I think he’s going to help us.
I like what we've seen from him as well but I'm skeptical that he is 6'2. I know that's what he's listed at but he looks considerably smaller than that to my eye

I think we can all agree that was not a good performance. I can’t think of a “good” player who I dislike watching more than Judah. He is really overrated IMO. He is an average defender who gets a few steals. Throws himself into the lane with no plan. And he is not a point guard, doesn’t create well for others. His three point shot has been nonexistent. There’s a reason he is still at SU and it is showing. To me unless something changes this is an NIT team.
amen brother re Mintz, and his wise acre smiles/joking so much in game suggests to me a lack of focus in his game. And it shows. Re NIT, likely but they might pull it together.

Last edited:
You guys are taking a lot from a game vs UNH where we could have ended the first half up 45 if we wanted
Holy hyperbole. UNH outplayed us over the last 30 minutes.

Starling and Mintz need to hit 3s or the team is in trouble against good opponents.

They are going to take a ton and more than 20% need to drop.

I think Taylor made the jump and is ready for a bigger role. Cope and Cuffe are great bench players. Don't like going small was pretty happy with McCleod and Carey.

just what does mintz offer the nba. he doesn't move the ball. he doesnt play solid d. he cant make college 3s let alone nba 3s. and he didnt get to the rim at all last night. his get to 5ft and try to draw a foul thing wont play in the nba with bigger guards

just what does mintz offer the nba. he doesn't move the ball. he doesnt play solid d. he cant make college 3s let alone nba 3s. and he didnt get to the rim at all last night. his get to 5ft and try to draw a foul thing wont play in the nba with bigger guards
yep his game has progressed net zero from last year, at this point at least. Very Frustrating player.

Last edited:
First 15 minutes of the game we looked like a solid NCAAT team. The last 25 we looked like a talented but selfish NIT team.
Perfect description. Selfish being the key word. Red has to learn to be a bad cop or the inmates will run the asylum.

Judah will probably do better with the spacing in the NBA. But he certainly has a lot to work on

Those 3 should not and probably will not ever play together at the same time
Ehh I don't know I still think there are going to be taller more athletic teams we play where this front court might be a necessity. It would really rely on Bennys ability to be a catch and shoot threat from range. Would feel better about it if we had a range threat playing as a guard while those three were in. Dont know if that front court would work with both JJ and Judah in.

Starling and Mintz need to hit 3s or the team is in trouble against good opponents.

I think Taylor made the jump and is ready for a bigger role. Cope and Cuffe are great bench players. Don't like going small was pretty happy with McCleod and Carey.
This is what worries me, is anyone but Judah really a guy who should be starting at this moment for a top 25 or so team? We’re super young but we have a lot of 6th and 7th guys on this squad.

I thought we got tired in the second half. Somebody posted earlier that UNH looked fresher in the second half and I agree. Practice reports mentioned increased difficulty - think we need more conditioning.

Plenty of room for improvement and still a double digit win in a game that wasn't a slog thru mud. It's a start.
the team has been notably exhausted in 2nd halves thus far

weird with (a) a deeper roster, and (b) supposed emphasis on harder, more intense practices

carey's d seemed insufficient to me

the team will have games where the 3s are falling...and when they do...they will likely win

A lot of overreactions. #4 MSU just lost at home to JMU. This is game 1 of 30+, I don’t take this game as gospel for the year whatsoever. I saw a lot on intangibles we haven’t had recently. Athleticism is up. To judge Judah on game one saying he is no better than last year is craziness. It’s one game. Let’s talk after Maui. The overreactions may be right but cmon this team seems fun. It’s easy to root for, and we are breaking in a first year head coach. We won. The first 10 mins were great, so we think that can’t happen for the majority of a game going forward based off one game? They clearly have the ability to play like that and showed it.

We once had a team lose to le moyne in the pre season and then beat top 10 Carolina soon after, and before that they beat no. 13 cal. That team went on to go 30-5 that year. Am I saying we will win 30? Heck no. I’m just saying have some perspective and enjoy the ride of a new era in cuse bball. I’m having fun this season and just happy to see something different and new. Let’s ride the first year roller coaster and not make sweeping judgements off of one game against UNH to open the year.

I like what we've seen from him as well but I'm skeptical that he is 6'2. I know that's what he's listed at but he looks considerably smaller than that to my eye

Where he winds up is more important than where he starts.

Didn't mind the zone at the end, it seemed to slow down UNH. What I really minded was lack of help defense, too many blow byes from a mid major.

The offense will get cleaned up, like anything else leash's will get shorter.
Me too

A lot of overreactions. #4 MSU just lost at home to JMU. This is game 1 of 30+, I don’t take this game as gospel for the year whatsoever. I saw a lot on intangibles we haven’t had recently. Athleticism is up. To judge Judah on game one saying he is no better than last year is craziness. It’s one game. Let’s talk after Maui. The overreactions may be right but cmon this team seems fun. It’s easy to root for, and we are breaking in a first year head coach. We won. The first 10 mins were great, so we think that can’t happen for the majority of a game going forward based off one game? They clearly have the ability to play like that and showed it.

We once had a team lose to le moyne in the pre season and then beat top 10 Carolina soon after, and before that they beat no. 13 cal. That team went on to go 30-5 that year. Am I saying we will win 30? Heck no. I’m just saying have some perspective and enjoy the ride of a new era in cuse bball. I’m having fun this season and just happy to see something different and new. Let’s ride the first year roller coaster and not make sweeping judgements off of one game against UNH to open the year.

Paulie Scibelia on Orange Nation just compared Judah Mintz to Alan Iverson "he's always pushing it."

It's amateur(ish) basketball, I don't expect amazing things from these kids. Jumping out to a 23 point lead tends to take some of the bark out of the dog. They played kind of down to their level of competition and still smoked them. We shot 81% from the line on 27 shots and had 13 steals and under 17 fouls.

I thought they looked like kids playing basketball with a big lead and a competitive advantage. I don't take much away from these games. Dubs are dubs.

This is what worries me, is anyone but Judah really a guy who should be starting at this moment for a top 25 or so team? We’re super young but we have a lot of 6th and 7th guys on this squad.
Lots of role players, no clear ACC-level starting talent outside of maybe Judah (assuming he gets his act together). Gotta hope and pray Westry is a significant addition and can shake off rust quickly. Otherwise the ceiling is not that high this year.

It's amateur(ish) basketball, I don't expect amazing things from these kids. Jumping out to a 23 point lead tends to take some of the bark out of the dog. They played kind of down to their level of competition and still smoked them. We shot 81% from the line on 27 shots and had 13 steals and under 17 fouls.

I thought they looked like kids playing basketball with a big lead and a competitive advantage. I don't take much away from these games. Dubs are dubs.
truth to what you're saying...

but the really good teams score 100+ and win by 40 or 50 in these types of games...

the teams that win these closely...well...theyre rarely ever excellent in the end

still possible, just less likely

any guesses as to what % of defensive sets were man and what % were zone ?

It's probably been mentioned, but I haven't been able to read the whole thread. But, the thing I can't stand is when we play 5 out and then somebody chucks a three pointer. It's maddening. Zero chance of a rebound against a team that we should be living on the offensive boards. If we're going to go 5 out, it should be for a dribble drive, and then the rest of the guys should know when to cut to the basket for a possible drive and dish or a rebound. Otherwise, we need to be moving the ball around, pass to the key and then have cutters...you know...a half court offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom