Uni Combo for Pitt Game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Uni Combo for Pitt Game

Why do people want the traditional uniforms when we are the Syracuse Orange and wearing Blue tops and Orange pants has no tradition.

You mean the uniform combination SU has worn for the past 50 years?

If you do the same thing for half a century ... it's a tradition.

You mean the uniform combination SU has worn for the past 50 years?

If you do the same thing for half a century ... it's a tradition.
I have seen SWC75 avatar with the Orange jerseys and Jim Brown with a different colored stripe helmet. Blue is NOT A TRADITION it was an acceptance of the freaking status quo. Syracuse University has no tradition of blue we may have wore blue jerseys but it was freaking stupidity to do so when the only official color of Syracuse University is Orange. If Basketball team wore yellow jerseys like the Lakers I wouldn't call that a tradition I would call it stupidity because yellow isn't an official color of Syracuse. If Syracuse wants to make blue a tradition then freaking change the official colors to Orange and Blue.

I have seen SWC75 avatar with the Orange jerseys and Jim Brown with a different colored stripe helmet. Blue is NOT A TRADITION it was an acceptance of the freaking status quo. Syracuse University has no tradition of blue we may have wore blue jerseys but it was freaking stupidity to do so when the only official color of Syracuse University is Orange. If Basketball team wore yellow jerseys like the Lakers I wouldn't call that a tradition I would call it stupidity because yellow isn't an official color of Syracuse. If Syracuse wants to make blue a tradition then freaking change the official colors to Orange and Blue.

From Webster's Dictionary:

Tradition: a way of thinking, behaving, or doing something that has been used by the people in a particular group, family, society, etc., for a long time

I emboldened the text for emphasis. So, by definition, the "freaking status quo" for many, many years, is a tradition.

For the record, I don't mind the changing uniform combinations. I do it with my own clothes that I wear every day, mixing up pants, shirts, shoes, jackets, ties, etc.

Official or unofficial - makes no difference - people think orange and blue when the think of us. I'm okay with that. It looks good.

Blue is not a tradition? Hope you own a road McNabb jersey.

http://studentactivities.syr.edu/traditions/index.html

Official School Color
Orange became the University’s official color in 1890 when Syracuse became the first college to adopt only one official color. The original school colors, rose pink and pea green, adopted in 1872 were not popular. Orange was chosen to represent the golden apples of Hesperia; the story of the sunrise and the hope for a golden future. Blue is used as an unofficial accent color.

Blue IS NOT AN OFFICIAL COLOR. If Dr. Gross wanted to make Green the accent color tomorrow he could. I don't care that we wore Blue jerseys we were never the Syracuse Bluemen or Blue we have always been the Orangemen or Orange, and just because we wore blue jerseys because Coach Mahoney or Coach MacPherson wanted to wear blue jerseys instead of Orange doesn't excuse stupidity when we are the Orange.

Why do people want the traditional uniforms when we are the Syracuse Orange and wearing Blue tops and Orange pants has no tradition. Blue is not an official color Dr. Gross could start wearing Gold with Orange or Pink with Orange. Blue isn't a tradition it was just a color picked because it worked with Orange but it is not an official or traditional color. People would complain like crazy if we started wearing blue basketball jerseys so I hate the whole traditional argument just wear a lot of FREAKING ORANGE on the jerseys since it is our only official color and it is our nickname.

Is grey an official color? Look back at the pictures of SU's football glory days, from the 1950s to the 1990s - Orange helmets and Orange pants. That's ORANGE enough for me. Alternate the shirts, home and away, end of story.

Is grey an official color? Look back at the pictures of SU's football glory days, from the 1950s to the 1990s - Orange helmets and Orange pants. That's ORANGE enough for me. Alternate the shirts, home and away, end of story.
grey and white have always been accepted as color fillers without having to designate themselves as an official color.

but you know this, come on matt.

nobodys asking for all Orange all the time, some would be nice. at least 51% would be minimum.

http://studentactivities.syr.edu/traditions/index.html

Official School Color
Orange became the University’s official color in 1890 when Syracuse became the first college to adopt only one official color. The original school colors, rose pink and pea green, adopted in 1872 were not popular. Orange was chosen to represent the golden apples of Hesperia; the story of the sunrise and the hope for a golden future. Blue is used as an unofficial accent color.

Blue IS NOT AN OFFICIAL COLOR. If Dr. Gross wanted to make Green the accent color tomorrow he could. I don't care that we wore Blue jerseys we were never the Syracuse Bluemen or Blue we have always been the Orangemen or Orange, and just because we wore blue jerseys because Coach Mahoney or Coach MacPherson wanted to wear blue jerseys instead of Orange doesn't excuse stupidity when we are the Orange.

Deep breath. You're talking about a very subjective subject in a very concrete way. There is NO Syracuse uni that exists without orange in it. None.

So what we have is "how much orange meets the completely subjective opinions of fans? 100%? 5%?" vs "What do the student athletes like? What would possible recruits think?"

As the non-stop arguments about uni's go on - with more opinions than a#*holes - can we agree that everyone won't be happy, ever? Therefore, I default to "do what the players want, with history and tradition in mind" - an opinion shared by Shafer.

Well if we only wore Orange helmets and pants these days. Our numerals are blue for some stupid reason, our pants have been blue more than Orange this season, and we have started wearing a blue helmet over the Orange one a lot more than I thought we would. Blue isn't an official color and it seems we are wearing more blue than Orange. Let's wear every color in ROY G. BV while we are it since those colors are as official as the blue we wear. If we wear Orange tops at home I could careless about the pants, but its a disgrace how little Orange are in the football uniforms unless we wear Orange pants and Orange helmets.

Deep breath. You're talking about a very subjective subject in a very concrete way. There is NO Syracuse uni that exists without orange in it. None.

So what we have is "how much orange meets the completely subjective opinions of fans? 100%? 5%?" vs "What do the student athletes like? What would possible recruits think?"

As the non-stop arguments about uni's go on - with more opinions than a#*holes - can we agree that everyone won't be happy, ever? Therefore, I default to "do what the players want, with history and tradition in mind" - an opinion shared by Shafer.
upload_2013-11-22_12-54-32.jpeg

Do you feel their is enough Orange in that jersey for a team called the ORANGE?

grey and white have always been accepted as color fillers without having to designate themselves as an official color.

but you know this, come on matt.

nobodys asking for all Orange all the time, some would be nice. at least 51% would be minimum.

Kaiser, grey was never used before the Devo era basketball uniform change. Never. White is fine, and blue has been the alternate color since the 1950s. Come on. Classic unis don't need to change. Look at Penn State, Ohio State, USC. I loved our traditional look. When we were great, the unis stayed the same for 4 decades.

I like the look as a alternate jersey worn 1-2 games a year. And despite both of our opinions - the players like them.
Alternate jersey? We have wore Blue helmets/Blue jerseys/Blue pants 3 times against Tulane, Clemson, Georgia Tech.
We have wore Orange helmets/Blue jerseys/Blue pants 2 times against Wagner, Wake Forest
We have wore Orange helmets/Blue jerseys/Orange pants 1 time against Penn State
We have wore Orange helmets/White jerseys/Orange pants 2 times against Northwestern and NC State
We have wore Orange helmets/White jerseys/Blue pants 2 times against Maryland and Florida State

Orange has been worn A LOT LESS by a team that is called the freaking ORANGE. Asking for an Orange top would be the an alternate and it seems like I have been chance of getting Harry Reid and Ted Cruz to co-sponsor a piece of legislation than convincing people on this board we should wear an Orange top as our primary jersey.

Kaiser, grey was never used before the Devo era basketball uniform change. Never. White is fine, and blue has been the alternate color since the 1950s. Come on. Classic unis don't need to change. Look at Penn State, Ohio State, USC. I loved our traditional look. When we were great, the unis stayed the same for 4 decades.
i meant grey for everyone, not Syracuse per se.

to me grey is nobodys color, like white.

granted you will find examples of its primary use: the scarlett and grey come to mind. but i certainly wasnt having a cow when nike added a little touch of grey (yes, thats on purpose, jerry lives).

if we are the 1st school to designate 1 color only, then goddamn it.....Fn use it.

If we want to go the traditional look then let's wear the 2005 jerseys which were in homage to the 1959 team. We wear we wore Orange helmets with the numerals on them, white jerseys at home, Orange pants. BLUE IS NOT TRADITION ONE FREAKING COACH decided to change our uniform top from Orange to Blue and now everyone thinks Blue has to stay. I wish SWC75 could give the board the tremendous history lessons he always gives the board on how we wore Orange jerseys and why we changed.

upload_2013-11-22_13-17-49.jpeg

Are you going to tell Floyd Little and Larry Csonka that they're both a disgrace to Syracuse University because they wore jerseys that you didn't approve of? :)

Are you going to tell Floyd Little and Larry Csonka that they're both a disgrace to Syracuse University because they wore jerseys that you didn't approve of? :)
Sadly, back in their days the inmates weren't running the asylum like today's college athletes. Csonka and Little were lucky if the coaches even let them pick anything for the players to do. I wouldn't call them disgraces I feel Col. Jessup answering Lt. Caffee in a Few Good Men on the stand when I defend the fact we should be wearing Orange.

better clip from one of my top 5 movies of alltime.

Sadly, back in their days the inmates weren't running the asylum like today's college athletes. Csonka and Little were lucky if the coaches even let them pick anything for the players to do. I wouldn't call them disgraces I feel Col. Jessup answering Lt. Caffee in a Few Good Men on the stand when I defend the fact we should be wearing Orange.

better clip from one of my top 5 movies of alltime.

Look, you can disparage them all you want - but they are the ones that will be wearing the freaking things. It's okay for them to have a wee bit of fun by picking what they'll wear.

I don't disagree that they should wear more orange - I just think it's not worth getting worked up over.

And finally. Love that movie.

If we want to go the traditional look then let's wear the 2005 jerseys which were in homage to the 1959 team. We wear we wore Orange helmets with the numerals on them, white jerseys at home, Orange pants. BLUE IS NOT TRADITION ONE FREAKING COACH decided to change our uniform top from Orange to Blue and now everyone thinks Blue has to stay. I wish SWC75 could give the board the tremendous history lessons he always gives the board on how we wore Orange jerseys and why we changed.

View attachment 5704

No, these were ugly uniforms, they did not look at all like the 59 uniforms, and this was the low point of our entire program's football history.

View attachment 5704

My memory of Syracuse Unis:

I started following the team for the 1961 season so any observations prior to that are what I've read about or seen in films clips or pictures. Much information can also be obtained at the website known as "The Helmet Project": http://nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

My first observation is that i can see from old film clips that prior to the television era, (and for several years into it), both teams would often wear colored jerseys, if they were contrasting colors. On black and white film, it looks as if it might have been confusing. But the majority of revenue came from live attendance and fans at the games could see the difference. One team was in blue and the other in red. Or green. Or black. But when TV came in, the majority of fans watching a televised game were watching it on black and white TV's. That's when it became common for one team to wear white jerseys. I'm not sure it's ever been a rule. In hockey and basketball the home team wears the white jerseys. In football that's generally been the road team, although not always. In baseball the road team usually wears gray and the home team white, although that has changed with the many colored jerseys of recent years. it really doesn't matter in that sport because the players are widely separated and doing different things so it's easy to tell who is on which team. I'd like to go back to both teams wearing colored jerseys when there is a contrast. We have color TVs now and I think it would look great.

Syracuse wore all orange uniforms- helmets, jerseys and pant with white numbers and blue trim from at least the beginning of the Schwartzwalder Era. But in the early 50's they started showing up with the classic orange helmets and pants with white jerseys and blue numbers and trim for home as well as road games. They seemed to alternate for several years but, by the late 50's we were in white at home and on the road. We apparently kept an alternate blue jersey for practices and when Baylor showed up in Archbold Stadium in 1967 in white jerseys, the SU team came out in their normal whites, then returned to the locker room and put on the blue jerseys. We won and they looked good so from that point through the end of the Schwartzwalder era we wore blue jerseys, (with white numbers and orange trim) for all home games. That is my favorite orange uniform of all I've seen.

When Frank Maloney came in, he wanted a fresh start and demanded a change in the uniform's design. The helmets were now white with a football-shaped decale that was blue except for an orange "SU" in the middle of it. The jerseys were a light, almost Tampa Bay orange with white numbers and trim. The pants were white with two blue stripes and one orange stripe in the middle down the sides of the ants. The home uniforms didn't look bad but the all-white road uniforms were pretty dull. By Frank's third year the orange helmets and blue jerseys were back but the white pants remained until the early 80's. In Coach's Mac's second or third year, we came out in orange pants for the first time since the Schwartzwalder Era to a loud cheer from the crowd.

Late in the Pasqualoni Era we responded to a trend of having special uniforms for certain occasions by coming out in an all-orange look with blue numerals. A lot of pople didn't like it but I did. it was distinctive. The jerseys didn't seem to match the helmets but it's proably hard to get a match when dealing with different materials. We also experimented with "shadowing" the numbers by tracing them with a different color, which i didn't like as much.

But the basic orange-blue-orange look remained our "look"until the G-Rob era when we came out in a mish-mosh of styles that seemed borrow from various sources but most especially from LSU or UCLA, with shoulder rings that didn't go all around the arm as they used to so so they only appeared to be rings when you were looking at them head on. Then the next year we were back to our basic colors but with the stripes still in place and orange letters. Sometimes we still went with the orange jerseys. It didn't look too bad but I will always remember those as the uniforms we were wearing when we couldn't dent the Iowa goal line in seven tries, perhaps the most enduring image of the G-Rob era. In 2007 the 'S' on the helmet debuted. Unfortunately the team wearing it may have been our worst ever.

With Doug Marrone we went back to basics with a simple version of the orange-blue-orange look. Then came the experiments of this year, which seem like a combination of different ideas, old and new. Uniforms may be irrelevant but it often seems to me that when we begin experimenting with them, the team somehow loses it's identity and plays like it. When you've got something classic, you need to stick with it.

I like orange helmet, blue jerseys and orange pants with white letters and blue trim. I don't mind the "S" on the helmet. White jersies, of course on the road. And I wouldn't mind having special orange jerseys for the biggest home game each a season. We should have blinded Clemson with our own orange. I still remember the first game I attended in 1964 after years of seeing only grainy black and white images of the team. The orange never seemed so orange as that day.

This site doesn't like multiple media posting on the same message so I'll leave you with this one image of orange uniforms through the years. If you search for it you can find examples of everything I've described above somewhere on the net.
https://www.google.com/search?q=syr...64G4Bw&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=666#imgdii=_

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom