Uniforms @ Central Michigan revealed | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Uniforms @ Central Michigan revealed

PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS

someone is bound to get this reference.

ADD ON: Shafer put it best on his radio show last night (about the whites): "If the players like 'em, I like 'em."

Some of the players like dancing like morons after stopping an 8 yard gain by the opponent too.

They shouldn't get to call the shots about anything.

Many of my friends are what I would call casual Cuse football fans. They all know I'm a diehard, and so I often get Syracuse related texts from them during the games if they happen to be watching.

I got quite a few "what the hell is Cuse wearing?" or "those uniforms are awful" texts 2 weeks ago.

PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS PEAS AND CARROTS

someone is bound to get this reference.

RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB

RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB RHUBARB

Well, I did say "Syracuse isn't the Yankees", which made you bite and tell me I'm a bad fan. It's hard to be reasonable when you tell me my opinion is wrong.

But anyways... I just don't see what the SU tradition has to do with the uniforms. The new ones are more intriguing, the players love them, recruits love them. If it were 2000, maybe people would have recognized a McNabb jersey. The fact of the matter is, while SU has tradition, their tradition isn't their uniform. It doesn't have to be. Let tradition be tradition and the uniforms be uniforms. They don't depend on each other. Oregon has created an identity with their uniforms. They've been pretty crazy the last 6-7 years. Coincidentally, in the same timespan, they've had 3 conference titles and 3 divisional titles. Before that? 2001, 2000, 1994. 3 in a 14 year span.

Kind of sounds like Syracuse pre-2008. Where Oregon rebranded, they found success. Cranking up on some of the creative aspects doesn't have to hurt tradition, it can really help re-establish it. Those 44 undershirts the team had a few years ago were fantastic. They honored the tradition of SU while adding a sleek look. Don't really see the problem there. It can be an opportunity to start anew, which SU Football has had to do since Robinson was fired. Some see it as an opportunity to propel, some see it as a slap in the face. I'm sure it can be successful both ways.

Oregon became a power because of gobs and gobs of money - not because of uniforms.

Oregon was never a bona fide football power until Nike and its millions came on board.

There was no Oregon football tradition. For an outlier program like Oregon the uniform gimmick was appropriate.

The same holds true for Rutgers. That program has nothing else to offer but gimmick.

Let me give you maybe the best example of what I am describing. My undergraduate school Indiana University has gone to the funky football uniforms complete with the all-white look and the silver helmets and the rest. The IU Basketball program, however, will not be making any change to its traditional uniforms. Why?

Because there is no IU Football tradition. The program has been a bad one for years and years.

The IU BB Program however is steeped in history and success. It would defy tradition if the IU BB uniforms, complete with the candy stripe warm up pants - were jettisoned.

The notion that uniforms have nothing to do with tradition just seems very inaccurate to me.

Try to convince the Michigan fan that the winged helmet has nothing to do with tradition.

A program with a proud tradition - like the SU Football tradition or the Yankee tradition or the IU BB tradition - does not need and should not rely on gimmicks like funky uniforms - that have nothing to do with the school or its tradition.

The new uniforms in my opinion are hardly intriguing. They look like one version of the Oklahoma State uniforms and the funky uniforms of other Nike programs - like the all white IU football look.

The kids may like them - what else are they supposed to say by the way - but the kids are more concerned with playing at an elite level with a winning program that will launch them into the pros.

And what is Shafer supposed to say?

He can't say anything because the decision to make the change was well up the executive ladder.

Sorry, but for me at least Syracuse University Football is the Yankees - frankly it's much more than the Yankees.

Oregon became a power because of gobs and gobs of money - not because of uniforms.

Oregon was never a bona fide football power until Nike and its millions came on board.

There was no Oregon football tradition. For an outlier program like Oregon the uniform gimmick was appropriate.

The same holds true for Rutgers. That program has nothing else to offer but gimmick.

Let me give you maybe the best example of what I am describing. My undergraduate school Indiana University has gone to the funky football uniforms complete with the all-white look and the silver helmets and the rest. The IU Basketball program, however, will not be making any change to its traditional uniforms. Why?

Because there is no IU Football tradition. The program has been a bad one for years and years.

The IU BB Program however is steeped in history and success. It would defy tradition if the IU BB uniforms, complete with the candy stripe warm up pants - were jettisoned.

The notion that uniforms have nothing to do with tradition just seems very inaccurate to me.

Try to convince the Michigan fan that the winged helmet has nothing to do with tradition.

A program with a proud tradition - like the SU Football tradition or the Yankee tradition or the IU BB tradition - does not need and should not rely on gimmicks like funky uniforms - that have nothing to do with the school or its tradition.

The new uniforms in my opinion are hardly intriguing. They look like one version of the Oklahoma State uniforms and the funky uniforms of other Nike programs - like the all white IU football look.

The kids may like them - what else are they supposed to say by the way - but the kids are more concerned with playing at an elite level with a winning program that will launch them into the pros.

He can't say anything because the decision to make the change was well up the executive ladder.

Sorry, but for me at least Syracuse University Football is the Yankees - frankly it's much more than the Yankees.
I'm with you with Syracuse being bigger than the Yankees in my life, as well. I really meant it on a country-wide, and worldwide view. And I really do understand what you're saying. I agree with a lot of it. I guess I'm in the boat of saying that if you can keep your tradition and be on the fore with some of the trends, it is worth exploring. Sure, it may not be the "way we've always done it", but if the kids like it, and recruits like it AND can respect the tradition of the program, its worth the feeler.

I'll drink to that.

GO ORANGE!
upload_2014-9-12_18-19-17.jpeg

Yes digs and attacks. And everyone who doesn't like the uni's, including me, have said why. You just don't want to read them and continue to take shots.

And Kaiser is not human. He's a figment of your imagination.

Bees, as much as I disagree with you on this board at times. I try to do it in a respectable fashion even though I am kind of a hard head.

I commend you on this...The Kaiser comment is priceless.

We are not Alabama, we are not UCLA, we are not Penn State, etc...

Our uniforms from the early 1980s to the early '00s were great uniforms. Fantastic for their time, but I don't think in any way ubiquitous with the program, and the past before the late 70s.

This is all to say that I don't mind the new unis. The wins are the helmets. I think they are great. I'm going to try and break down the good and the bad of the unis and see if people agree with it.

GOOD:
- The helmets.
- The different looks we can have with them.
- I actually like the "look" of the uniform material. Seems sleek, and well designed.
- The accessories (the undershirts, socks, etc..) look nice.
- The Fort Drum/44 tie in logo. Really great.

BAD:
- I agree with most that the font of the numbers (elongated at the bottom, etc...) is a little odd. I probably could get used to this with time, but overall it looks a bit odd.
- The piping on the blue uni numbers needs to be something other than black. Really odd choice by Nike, as that definitely doesn't allow the numbers to stand out in any meaningful way.
- The lack of orange pants. We need those stat. I like the opportunity to have uni combos with white, blue and gray pants -- but orange pants ARE traditional for Syracuse, and are a great compliment to blue or white jerseys. Honestly, I think this is the biggest complaint for most.
- The lack of an orange jersey. I would love to see SU in an actual, nicely put together orange jersey. It surprises me that they decided to hold back orange for a year, but my hope is they will unleash them for the LSU game and the Orange Crush will roll on that day.

In short, I love the options we have with the different alternate things we can do with the unis, but our base should always be orange pants with white and blue tops. That doesn't mean we wear those unis constantly, just that they are the ones we wear most.

I honestly think if the numbers/piping issue was resolved, and we got some orange pants most people would be happy with the unis. As I said in the open though, we have a rich and amazing football history, but our uniforms aren't as intrinsically tied to that history as Bama and Penn State's are. We can do some different things, but no orange pants is a miss on the part of Nike, and our athletic department.

the cattle, when trotted out to the field on saturdays, are as big a representation of what it means to be a Syracuse Orange(men) as there is.

to allow them to not be recognizable to the eye...within a split second, is an epic fail.

and yes, gack, only you can read this...Peace, Love Dope!! Now get the hell out of here...

I recognize them.

I'll drink to that.

GO ORANGE!
I know I am older. But I thought of this song with your response. Uniforms be damned. Rochester's finest! ;)
It is going to be alright! LGO!

Last edited:
I just don't get what the big deal? It's not like there absolutely no orange in the uni's? Take a look at both games today. All 4 teams are wearing matching tops and bottoms, which is the current style. Sure people don't like the current style, but that's what schools are going with. So here we are wearing the blues at home with orange helmet and orange numbers, socks, etc. Now why they decided to hold out the all oranges until next year is beyond me, but it's not like we can wear all orange at home and on the road, so next year when we break out the oranges there shouldn't be any problems.

Brilliant response.

No, Syracuse University is not the Yankees - or the Syracuse Chiefs for that matter.

It seems that you have little respect for Syracuse University or the tradition of Syracuse University Football. It seems that you don't appreciate or understand, or know about the players, the success, the bowl games - the tradition - none of it. Sorry, but if you don't appreciate or respect what we have had for so many years, then you probably should join another board.

Your kind of self-disrespecting Syracuse Football fan is exactly what we don't need. We need fans who are proud not ones who disparage.

So, while you're at it, lets not only get rid of the Yankee pinstripes, lets get rid of the Michigan winged helmet and the USC gold pants and the Buckeye helmet decals and the Texas Longhorn mascot!!

Lets get rid of everything and look like nobody - lets wear black jerseys and pants or grey jerseys and pants - so we can maybe make a buck and maybe tickle some kid in North Miami - during a two hour visit - who might wind up spending perhaps three to four years on the Hill and never be heard from again.

When I watch a Syracuse University Football game it would be nice if I could recognize my team.

It would be nice if I could watch a young player wearing an orange helmet and orange pants and think back on days when I was watching Kirby Dar Dar or Donovin Darius or Don McPherson or Scott Schwedes or Larry Csonka!

When the Orange takes the field this Saturday, I will look and see, what? Oklahoma State or Washington State or Rutgers? Who?

I'll see a group of guys wearing all white. I won't see anything I recognize.

And I should take solace - I shouldn't worry - because I can always look at the score on the screen and decipher the identity of my team?

Sorry, but it just doesn't work for me.

Bring back the traditional Syracuse University Football look and those of you in the athletic administration who have no other connection to the University or Program other than a temporary job - and who will likely move onto another job in the next few years - should start thinking more about those of us who have lived and died with the Program for decades.
here, here. GREAT post my friend. Thanks for putting those thoughts to "paper"

1. Drop the multiple helmet bullspit. Just the Orange with the block S. I give up on the return of the numbers.

2. Orange pants for every game.

3. Blue, White & Orange jerseys in rotation.

4. Once a year, an all white, grey or (gulp) blue. But of course, we only have the Orange hat to complement, hopefully matching the shoes.

Pretty simple stuff.

And people, when your 'opinion' is just flat out Fn stupid, you should thank us for pointing out your folly and saving you from future embarrassment.

Now everybody go get your field glasses so you can tell who is who and read which team is the no-longer orange off the scroll while watching on the telly today.

Last edited:

I think you are over reacting to this. Just m
And by the way...

These
pearl.jpg

Look better than these...
3614636.jpg

Just sayin'...

Who cares?

They are fooking uniforms. They are literally clothes that you wear over some pads. I can't believe people get all worked up over the color and patterns of a material people are wearing over pads. I don't give 2 poops if they come out with tampons stapled to their shoulder pads and pubic hair duct taped to their shins.

I just want the team to beat the piss out of the other team in front of them. We are lucky that Floyd Little and Ernie Davis didn't have a rubber fist glued to their helmets. Half the board would be asking to bring back the fists!

CIL said:
They are fooking uniforms. They are literally clothes that you wear over some pads. I can't believe people get all worked up over the color and patterns of a material people are wearing over pads. I don't give 2 poops if they come out with tampons stapled to their shoulder pads and pubic hair duct taped to their shins. I just want the team to beat the piss out of the other team in front of them. We are lucky that Floyd Little and Ernie Davis didn't have a rubber fist glued to their helmets. Half the board would be asking to bring back the fists!

We could just dump the name the Orange and everything we promote as the Orange. It's just a fooking name.

But you're right, just go out and kick some arse today.

1. Drop the multiple helmet bullspit. Just the Orange with the block S. I give up on the return of the numbers.

2. Orange pants for every game.

3. Blue, White & Orange jerseys in rotation.

4. Once a year, an all white, grey or (gulp) blue. But of course, we only have the Orange hat to complement, hopefully matching the shoes.

Pretty simple stuff.

And people, when your 'opinion' is just flat out Fn stupid, you should thank us for pointing out your folly and saving you from future embarrassment.

Now everybody go get your field glasses so you can tell who is who and read which team is the no-longer orange off the scroll while watching on the telly today.

Can someone tell me when "It's my opinion" became a get out of jail card for unreasoned drivel?