Uniforms | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Uniforms

I don't agree at all.

The were simple and classy.

The underscored the way the Wildcats played - basic, sound, no frills.

We, on the other hand, played to our new uniforms - busy, trash talk, little substance.

Sorry, I love the Orange, but the uniforms and play on Friday night were equally horrible.

I found them boring personally.

I don't think the uniforms had anything direct correlation to how we played.

sufandu said:
You know that those weren't McNabb uniforms that he referenced, right? That's Nassib in those pictures.
Was aware, chief -- but we're not dropping our line on "tradition" on 2012, right?

Was aware, chief -- but we're not dropping our line on "tradition" on 2012, right?
He commenting on the look chief, so I think you missed his point.

I really don't have that big a problem with the uniforms. I'm not the one wearing them, and the last time I checked, uniforms have never won a single football game.

But I will say this: the first time I saw the jerseys on sale I really, legitimately thought they were just absurdly overpriced t-shirts...

thumb.aspx

sufandu said:
He commenting on the look chief, so I think you missed his point.
I didn't. This is the most discussed topic on the board -- everyone's point is impossible to miss ... kitten.

I didn't. This is the most discussed topic on the board -- everyone's point is impossible to miss ... kitten.
So why'd you bring up McNabb era uniforms when the pictures had nothing to do with him or his era?

sufandu said:
So why'd you bring up McNabb era uniforms when the pictures had nothing to do with him or his era?
Because OX's point was about what screamed "Syracuse" to him -- from watching 40 years of SU football. He certainly didn't add the years of his patronage because he was thinking of what Nassib wore, right?

It's ironic that so many people don't like single color football uniforms, but we all (generally) hated that these were two colors.

14316421-standard.jpg

It's simple people don't like change.

Everyone keeps saying we need orange pants, or some sort of mismatching top and bottom. I posted before, but almost every single new uniform design of the past 2 years has had matching jerseys and pants. This isn't just a Syracuse thing, this is where the style has gone. There is a reason people have monthly subscriptions to magazines like GQ. They want to know what's in style TODAY, not what was in style in the mid 90's when we had the precious McNabb uniforms. Then again I am willing to bet a majority of the people posting in this thread don't get GQ, or can't tell you what the current style is. With that said I bet the age group, and a little younger, that is wearing the uniforms know what's fashionable and what's not.

I can tell you that the numbers will annoy the people who keep the stats, that's for sure. The weird font paired with the lack of a white outline to really make the numbers pop = unhappy SIDs.

Could be why the player participation list was so messed up.

That, or the fact that we have three people who wear #11.

It's simple people don't like change.

Everyone keeps saying we need orange pants, or some sort of mismatching top and bottom. I posted before, but almost every single new uniform design of the past 2 years has had matching jerseys and pants. This isn't just a Syracuse thing, this is where the style has gone. There is a reason people have monthly subscriptions to magazines like GQ. They want to know what's in style TODAY, not what was in style in the mid 90's when we had the precious McNabb uniforms. Then again I am willing to bet a majority of the people posting in this thread don't get GQ, or can't tell you what the current style is. With that said I bet the age group, and a little younger, that is wearing the uniforms know what's fashionable and what's not.

I'm of the mind that Nike is setting this uniform trend rather than responding to popular demand for some existing style: the kids like the new uniforms because they're new Nike uniforms.

Chicken and the egg, I suppose.

anomander said:
It's simple people don't like change. Everyone keeps saying we need orange pants, or some sort of mismatching top and bottom. I posted before, but almost every single new uniform design of the past 2 years has had matching jerseys and pants. This isn't just a Syracuse thing, this is where the style has gone. There is a reason people have monthly subscriptions to magazines like GQ. They want to know what's in style TODAY, not what was in style in the mid 90's when we had the precious McNabb uniforms. Then again I am willing to bet a majority of the people posting in this thread don't get GQ, or can't tell you what the current style is. With that said I bet the age group, and a little younger, that is wearing the uniforms know what's fashionable and what's not.
It's more than not liking change (which is certainly a part of it). It's thinking that what I like must be right -- which we're all guilty of -- even when given evidence to the contrary.

anomander said:
It's simple people don't like change. Everyone keeps saying we need orange pants, or some sort of mismatching top and bottom. I posted before, but almost every single new uniform design of the past 2 years has had matching jerseys and pants. This isn't just a Syracuse thing, this is where the style has gone. There is a reason people have monthly subscriptions to magazines like GQ. They want to know what's in style TODAY, not what was in style in the mid 90's when we had the precious McNabb uniforms. Then again I am willing to bet a majority of the people posting in this thread don't get GQ, or can't tell you what the current style is. With that said I bet the age group, and a little younger, that is wearing the uniforms know what's fashionable and what's not.

Nothing to do with change. You started this thread and asked why people don't like them. You got plenty of anders. Not enough orange, can't read numbers, blue blue vs 2 colors, tradition, ugly font, isn't SU, etc. So now it evolves again to things like not liking change and others saying people don't read GQ.

is GQ about style or about getting people to buy clothes because they think its in style? I talked with the prof here who teaches fashion design.. She laughed at how bad these uniforms were. The reality is we have one style of uniform that held up for 25+ years and are promoting Nike style when thier whole goal is change to promote buying more product. tradition promotes buying the same product over time, its short term gain over long term product. Hey look we sold 2K new uniforms this year at the concession stand. But when they you do this year after year, the long term fan says why bother it wont be the correct one, the short term fan says the opposite? Which of them are there more of?

Im just glad its not the Maryland crap.

Kids dont want style, they want whatever is new or other people are wearing. But they dont tend to want it 5 years from now.. You dont create tradition of you trash it and the color.

Nothing to do with change. You started this thread and asked why people don't like them. You got plenty of anders. Not enough orange, can't read numbers, blue blue vs 2 colors, tradition, ugly font, isn't SU, etc. So now it evolves again to things like not liking change and others saying people don't read GQ.

I still can't tell if people will be happy when we finally wear the all orange uniforms. I'm going to go ahead and guess no.

Because OX's point was about what screamed "Syracuse" to him -- from watching 40 years of SU football. He certainly didn't add the years of his patronage because he was thinking of what Nassib wore, right?
I don't think it's too hard to understand. He's watched SU football for 40 years and with a number of different uniform styles. The look of the uniforms he posted, despite being relatively recent, are a good representation of SU to him. I suppose he thinks it's an attractive look that isn't completely different from what we've had in the past but is still updated.

So, you can sarcastically tell him what he's already heard about kids choosing schools because of uniform style (criteria that can be argued is far down the list), if you'd like. Or maybe, since you said you don't have an opinion about what the uniforms look like, you can keep your sarcasm to yourself, chief or kitten or whichever pet name you'd like me to use.

I don't really want an all-orange look. I'd rather have those options available to pair with the other colors. Personally I don't like when Syracuse teams wear all-blue uniforms.

I don't think SU's re-branding was done as well as Miami, Arizona St, or Washington. Maybe it was the way SU did the release that gave me a negative first impression.

sufandu said:
I don't think it's too hard to understand. He's watched SU football for 40 years and with a number of different uniform styles. The look of the uniforms he posted, despite being relatively recent, are a good representation of SU to him. I suppose he thinks it's an attractive look that isn't completely different from what we've had in the past but is still updated. So, you can sarcastically tell him what he's already heard about kids choosing schools because of uniform style (criteria that can be argued is far down the list), if you'd like. Or maybe, since you said you don't have an opinion about what the uniforms look like, you can keep your sarcasm to yourself, chief or kitten or whichever pet name you'd like me to use.
I love that fabric can elicit such a response. Fabric.

I'm not going to pretend I don't like those uniforms because I did. Those were probably my favorite combo. However with the move to the ACC, and the new coaching staff and such I felt we wanted to totally re-brand ourselves. So why not do it with all new, hip, in style uniforms. If people haven't noticed the current style that most college with new uniforms are moving towards is all solid, matching tops and bottoms. So it's no real surprise these are the uniforms they came up with. I am sure they will be doing some mixing and matching throughout the season, but just like there are fads in clothing, the matching tops and bottoms is the current fad for college football uniforms.
TRADITION > fad

I've seen the orange helmet, orange pants, and either blue or white jersey combo more often than any others. That's what I identify with SU Football.

NOT the all-smurf or the all-platinum look.

I could have posted McNabb pictures. I could have posted Marvin Graves pictures. I could have posted Tim Green pictures. The color scheme hasn't changed.

I don't really want an all-orange look. I'd rather have those options available to pair with the other colors. Personally I don't like when Syracuse teams wear all-blue uniforms.

I don't think SU's re-branding was done as well as Miami, Arizona St, or Washington. Maybe it was the way SU did the release that gave me a negative first impression.
An "all orange" look was tried and rightfully was rejected based on all criteria of gross looking cheap high school looking uniforms. It was perhaps the worse uniform ever worn by the program. I like the orange pants and helmet combo with a white jersey. BTW The numbers on the jerseys for the Nova game looked like they were run over by a highway grove machine. It looks like some one on the hill is getting something referred to as "kickbacks" for buying this s#it. This so-called modern look is pure crap. I guess its screw the old fans who have seen this program through muck and Mire OK we fired Muck but Mire is still running the whole show. I have real PHDs in my family. One of them from Harvard.An uncle who deserves the respect of that degree.

They are killer unis no doubt. Not a fan of the blue on blue. Give us the Orange pants for the love of God... what's with the wait?

again, the thing i find odd...is that miami, clemson, illinois & tennessee...off the top of my head...can ALL find a way to make ORANGE the dominant color in their football unis...but the Syracuse ORANGE...cant.

and they even moved to the all stupidblue in response to their ORANGE failure.

its like we are being totally mocked and laughed at.

and on here, the stupidblue Borg got to a bunch of folks, had them assimiliated and placed back out on the board posting how great it is.

just weird.

KaiserUEO said:
its like we are being totally mocked and laughed at.
So true -- the local FOX station in DC just led off their broadcast on the issue. Everyone outside of CNY is talking about it.

So true -- the local FOX station in DC just led off their broadcast on the issue. Everyone outside of CNY is talking about it.
good for them.

this is getting so big, so important...that any moment now i expect bambi to go golfing and duck dealing with it.

anomander said:
I still can't tell if people will be happy when we finally wear the all orange uniforms. I'm going to go ahead and guess no.

How many people have said they want all orange? 1?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom