University of Georgia | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

University of Georgia

It really is Clemson, Bama, Georgia and everybody else is playing a different sport.

I thought the committee made the only logical choices they could if they didn’t want to make a landscape changing decision on the way teams are selected for the CFP. Now that we’ve seen two sacrificial lambs get absolutely destroyed, maybe that changes moving forward.

Is it good or bad for CFB? I have no idea. I’m sure the rest of the country isn’t in love with College Football basically becoming a season long exhibition for 2-3 teams within 4 hours of each other.
Ohio State
Texas
Florida State
USC
LSU

Can join those 3 above. To win a NC you need talent on both sides of the ball.
Recruiting wins FB titles.

This is kind of a strange argument that people are making. It’s basically penalizing Georgia because they happen to have the best team in the country in their conference.

Maybe Georgia should petition to play Texas or Pittsburgh in the Sec Championship Game next year.
UGA was penalized because they had more losses than OU.

Only valid argument for putting UGA in the playoff could have been made if they didn’t lose to LSU, having their only loss come against Bama in the SEC championship game. UGA didn’t have the bandwidth to lose two games and still make the playoff.

This is kind of a strange argument that people are making. It’s basically penalizing Georgia because they happen to have the best team in the country in their conference.

Maybe Georgia should petition to play Texas or Pittsburgh in the Sec Championship Game next year.

That’s why I hate the conference championships. It’s like they are treated as the 1st round of CFP when it’s not a level playing field. Teams aren’t seeded to determine who you play, it’s all based on what conference you are in, so a team like Georgia essentially gets penalized.

Who did ND play in their conference championship?? Yea.

Who did Clemson play? Pitt.

Who did Oklahoma play? Texas.

And who did Georgia play? Alabama.

I guarantee if there were no conference championship games, that Georgia would have been in the CFP.

If you want to keep the conference championships for the financial reasons, then go to 8 CFP teams. The 5 conference championship game winners and 3 at large. Then seed them 1-8.

Only valid argument for putting UGA in the playoff could have been made if they didn’t lose to LSU, having their only loss come against Bama in the SEC championship game. UGA didn’t have the bandwidth to lose two games and still make the playoff.
UGa was penalized for losing by 20 at LSU.
When Alabama went into the same spot and won by 29.

UGA had the talent to compete with Alabama but Oklahoma got credit for winning its conference title which is supposed to mean something.
Georgia vs. Notre Dame is where UGA got screwed. UGA had to play an extra game that knocked them out of the playoffs.
While ND played one less game and didn’t win a conference title. ND should be dinged for their arrogance.

True, but it’s kind of like the Notre Dame issue. Had ND been a full time ACC member, they would’ve taken their beatdown in Charlotte. Georgia at least challenged Bama...if OU was in the SEC, A) they’d have more than 1 loss and B) they would’ve gotten that beatdown in Atlanta instead.

I don’t know what the right answer is but Georgia is a connundrum being the obvious 3rd team to the Bama/Clemson monopoly yet having to play Bama every year in the SECCG while other teams are playing the likes of Pitt, Northwestern and Texas.

That’s why I hate the conference championships. It’s like they are treated as the 1st round of CFP when it’s not a level playing field. Teams aren’t seeded to determine who you play, it’s all based on what conference you are in, so a team like Georgia essentially gets penalized.

Who did ND play in their conference championship?? Yea.

Who did Clemson play? Pitt.

Who did Oklahoma play? Texas.

And who did Georgia play? Alabama.

I guarantee if there were no conference championship games, that Georgia would have been in the CFP.

If you want to keep the conference championships for the financial reasons, then go to 8 CFP teams. The 5 conference championship game winners and 3 at large. Then seed them 1-8.

The hilariously unbalanced divisions this year have shown just how dumb the CCGs are.

The point is that losses and recent games aside I’m fairly confident that UGa would’ve been a better matchup for either of these teams than Notre Dame or OU.

Yes, they have two losses. And they did just play, interestingly enough I was aware of both facts when I started this thread.
If Oklahoma doesn't wait until tbe second half to start playing, last nights game stays tight until the end. Regardless, the point is Georgia had there chance and blew it. Now that Olahoma and ND each had their chance and lost, there are no what ifs. That would not have been the case if one of them was supplanted by Georgia. If Clemson wins, they beat the team that beat Georgia. If Alabama wins, they beat every legitimate team that challenged them. The way it has played out is the best case scenario to find out who the NC is.

True, but it’s kind of like the Notre Dame issue. Had ND been a full time ACC member, they would’ve taken their beatdown in Charlotte. Georgia at least challenged Bama...if OU was in the SEC, A) they’d have more than 1 loss and B) they would’ve gotten that beatdown in Atlanta instead.

I don’t know what the right answer is but Georgia is a connundrum being the obvious 3rd team to the Bama/Clemson monopoly yet having to play Bama every year in the SECCG while other teams are playing the likes of Pitt, Northwestern and Texas.
Or if ND was in the B1G or the PAC 12, they win that conference and still get in. They were undefeated against a quality schedule. The way it has worked out is perfect. The two best teams have proven on the field that they belong to be in the last game. That's all that matters.

Let's say that Georgia is better than Clemson. Why is it fair to Alabama to have to beat them twice. They had already proven themselves against them. It was someone elses turn to have a shot and Alabama proved themselves again. That's the way it should be.

Or if ND was in the B1G or the PAC 12, they win that conference and still get in. They were undefeated against a quality schedule. The way it has worked out is perfect. The two best teams have proven on the field that they belong to be in the last game. That's all that matters.

Let's say that Georgia is better than Clemson. Why is it fair to Alabama to have to beat them twice. They had already proven themselves against them. It was someone elses turn to have a shot and Alabama proved themselves again. That's the way it should be.

Alabama was going to be in the playoff whether they held on vs UGA or not.

The other side of that coin is that UGA is expected to beat Alabama twice to have a shot to win it all, which is a condition that was placed on literally zero other teams.

The hilariously unbalanced divisions this year have shown just how dumb the CCGs are.

Yea, while Clemson belonged regardless, it’s hideous that they play Pitt. Nd played no CCG, Okie gets Texas and Georgia has to play Alabama. Anyone that actually watched the games themselves could see Georgia was one of the 4 best.

If Oklahoma doesn't wait until tbe second half to start playing, last nights game stays tight until the end. Regardless, the point is Georgia had there chance and blew it. Now that Olahoma and ND each had their chance and lost, there are no what ifs. That would not have been the case if one of them was supplanted by Georgia. If Clemson wins, they beat the team that beat Georgia. If Alabama wins, they beat every legitimate team that challenged them. The way it has played out is the best case scenario to find out who the NC is.

I mean if Baker Mayfield had a game left of eligibilty maybe they pull it off as well. But yeah this is probably the best argument I’ve seen for the way it was.

UGa was penalized for losing by 20 at LSU.
When Alabama went into the same spot and won by 29.

UGA had the talent to compete with Alabama but Oklahoma got credit for winning its conference title which is supposed to mean something.
Georgia vs. Notre Dame is where UGA got screwed. UGA had to play an extra game that knocked them out of the playoffs.
While ND played one less game and didn’t win a conference title. ND should be dinged for their arrogance.

ND played one less game but the difference is an FCS. Both played 10 P5 and 2 G5 teams. Those 12 games were harder for UGA which is why they lost twice. But IMO you cannot take them over ND for essentially playing one extra game against Austin Peay.

Maybe we should just go back to a final two?

ND played one less game but the difference is an FCS. Both played 10 P5 and 2 G5 teams. Those 12 games were harder for UGA which is why they lost twice. But IMO you cannot take them over ND for essentially playing one extra game against Austin Peay.
I think UGA’s nonconference schedule should have been used against them.

I just think ND has a huge advantage of not having a conference title game.

Georgia and all of the SEC need to fix their nonconference schedules.
12 of 14 play 3 tomato cans every year and one P5 team.
That needs to change.

Thank goodness ND plays @UGA next year so we don’t have to put up with another undefeated season that leads to a non-conference winning CFP appearance and subsequent massacre.

It still comes down to the old argument, do you have the four best teams, or the four that meet the criteria best. We have the latter this year.

It still comes down to the old argument, do you have the four best teams, or the four that meet the criteria best. We have the latter this year.
If it’s not the latter then the season doesn’t matter.
Syracuse could go 13-0 and we won’t be one of the top 4 teams.
Our talent is never going to be across the board the best.
Conference titles should matter.

I don't think Georgia is a top 4 team... Top 4 teams don't lose twice in a season. Top 4 teams don't choke 4th quarter leads. They've done that twice against Alabama now. If that's the case you could make an argument that Syracuse should be in an NY6 bowl cause we were beating Clemson late in the game. Loss is a loss.

I don't think Georgia is a top 4 team... Top 4 teams don't lose twice in a season. Top 4 teams don't choke 4th quarter leads. They've done that twice against Alabama now. If that's the case you could make an argument that Syracuse should be in an NY6 bowl cause we were beating Clemson late in the game. Loss is a loss.
They’ve only played Alabama once this year. If you’re counting last year’s game, you’ve moved the goal posts. Only 2018 games matter.

Georgia lost their playoff game when Alabama beat them. We didn't need to see that again. If Alabama loses to Clemson, Clemson beat the team that beat Georgia. If Alabama wins it all, they shouldn't have to do it by beating Georgia twice. The playoff was fine the way it was set up.

I find this sentiment in sports foolish, no disrespect. Hey, the Chargers beat the Chiefs during the regular season, so why would anyone want to see an AFC championship game with the two of them down the road if it plays out that way? Just place the Chargers in the Superbowl. The bottom line is, sports isn't played in a vacuum, and the 4 team playoff is a joke, but that's just my opinion.

On an aside, the month plus between games is idiotic. Most of these bowl games have been down right awful as many teams are plain out of sync and the lopsidedness suggests same. The Sooners last night obviously were rusty to start, but once they got in sync after the first half, they at least showed they could play/score against 'bama. Who knows how it plays out if nearly 5 weeks hadn't gone by?

I find this sentiment in sports foolish, no disrespect. Hey, the Chargers beat the Chiefs during the regular season, so why would anyone want to see an AFC championship game with the two of them down the road if it plays out that way? Just place the Chargers in the Superbowl. The bottom line is, sports isn't played in a vacuum, and the 4 team playoff is a joke, but that's just my opinion.

On an aside, the month plus between games is idiotic. Most of these bowl games have been down right awful as many teams are plain out of sync and the lopsidedness suggests same. The Sooners last night obviously were rusty to start, but once they got in sync after the first half, they at least showed they could play/score against 'bama. Who knows how it plays out if nearly 5 weeks hadn't gone by?
OU wasn’t out of sync because of the layoff. They were out of sync due to playing in a conference with zero defense and then having the 1st or 2nd best defense in the country in your face.

Also, Bama could score whenever they wanted. OU wasn’t stopping them and Bama just started running the clock out to move on and be done with it.

OU wasn’t out of sync because of the layoff. They were out of sync due to playing in a conference with zero defense and then having the 1st or 2nd best defense in the country in your face.

Also, Bama could score whenever they wanted. OU wasn’t stopping them and Bama just started running the clock out to move on and be done with it.

Okay, because you said so. :confused: The point is, the 5 week layoff has an affect on a team's sharpness. You are entitled to your opinion, but please, don't sit here and suggest you know with any degree of certainty that the layoff had no affect at all, that would be foolish. I'm not saying that 'bama doesn't win, but if OSU doesn't get off to such a horrible start, and it's a back and forth type game throughout as some thought could happen due to OSU's stellar O, who knows how it plays out. One untimely turnover by 'bama could've ended up being the difference in that scenario.

Notre Dame did not belong in the final four regardless of their record. Georgia yes and OSU should have been given some leeway with Meyer missing some of the season. That's Notre Dame's 8th straight major bowl loss, they know how to make money.

In a game they shouldn’t have had to play and which was infinitely tougher than any of the other conference championships.

Teams were fine. If you want to argue Georgia in I get it, but Ohio State no.

That said college football is way to predictable for me. I barely watched yesterday as I figured what happened would happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom