University of Georgia | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

University of Georgia

Let's say that Georgia is better than Clemson. Why is it fair to Alabama to have to beat them twice. They had already proven themselves against them. It was someone elses turn to have a shot and Alabama proved themselves again. That's the way it should be.
Whoa, hang on, you're using the same logic I used to use about how ridiculous it was years ago that LSU was #1, beat Alabama at Alabama, thus knocking Alabama out of the SEC title game, and then still had to play Alabama for the national title.

Why do you feel comfortable with that logic now, but used to argue with me over it then?

Teams were fine. If you want to argue Georgia in I get it, but Ohio State no.

That said college football is way to predictable for me. I barely watched yesterday as I figured what happened would happen.

Interesting...not sure how you wouldn't "get" Ohio State. The fact is, if Clemson played Ohio State vs. an extremely over ranked team in ND, the spread would've likely been -3 for Clemson (or in that vicinity) vs. the double digit favorite Clemson was over ND.

Interesting...not sure how you wouldn't "get" Ohio State. The fact is, if Clemson played Ohio State vs. an extremely over ranked team in ND, the spread would've likely been -3 for Clemson (or in that vicinity) vs. the double digit favorite Clemson was over ND.

Diehard college football fans who watch a lot of other games besides Syracuse tell me the regular season means something.

I’m seeing a lot of arguments in this thread arguing for eye test over results. Seems like the regular season doesn’t mean as much to them as they say.

Didn’t read most of the posts, but if you have two losses you don’t get in the playoff. They had their chance against Alabama and blew it. If they got in (Georgia) I wouldn’t be happy... if they got in then who gives a about your record... who do we think is good. Florida State has a lot of talent, who gives a ... hoot... that they won 5 games, I feel like they might be good.

Diehard college football fans who watch a lot of other games besides Syracuse tell me the regular season means something.

I’m seeing a lot of arguments in this thread arguing for eye test over results. Seems like the regular season doesn’t mean as much to them as they say.

It's unclear to me how you equate not "getting" an Ohio State team in based on your response. The buckeyes went 11-1 in the regular season and destroyed the number one D (at the time) in Michigan who was ranked 4th in the polls in their last regular season game. They also won their conference championship without much difficulty. It appears your not "getting" OSU is more of a negative bias towards them, or possibly the B1G than one of objectivity.

It's unclear to me how you equate not "getting" an Ohio State team in based on your response. The buckeyes went 10-1 in the regular season and destroyed the number one D (at the time) in Michigan who was ranked 4th in the polls in their last regular season game. They also won their conference championship without much difficulty. It appears your not "getting" OSU is more of a negative bias towards them, or possibly the B1G than one of objectivity.

That wasn’t my point. Notre Dame and Oklahoma were the right picks based on regular season results.

The only argument for Georgia was eye test. If they get in you’re devaluing the regular season. And yes the BiG stinks and I celebrate anytime they lose in either revenue sport.

I think the big issue for some of us are as follows:

A). All Conferences are not created equal.

B). All Divisions are not created equal.

C). Notre Dame. Join a conference.

When you are only inviting 4 teams to play for a title, as opposed to 68, those are a massive issues.

Regular season matters, and that’s the appeal of Football, but when there’s three Golden State Warriors in CFB, and two of them play in the same conference, it creates a problem.

Especially when that conference is so far ahead of the other P5 conferences. Furthermore, out of the other conferences, one conference currently has only one Top 10 Caliber Program (ACC), one is slow, unathletic and plodding (B1G), one plays no defense (Big 12) and one might as well get relegated to G5 (Pac12). Then there’s Notre Dame annoying everyone.

I don't see the games yesterday being underwhelming as the problem to fix.

In my eyes, circumstances permitting, a national championship should require a perfect season. That only happens by proving it on the field every week.

So, my field would have been Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and UCF. Regardless of who wins that, you have an undefeated national champion. That's an objective standard of greatness.

Now, sure, if you don't have 4 undefeated teams you have to pick a team or teams that slipped up, and that's where conference championships matter to me. It's an extra game against a solid opponent and one more test to prove yourself. I don't care that some of the tests are harder than others, I care that you passed.

I think the big issue for some of us are as follows:

A). All Conferences are not created equal.

B). All Divisions are not created equal.

C). Notre Dame. Join a conference.

When you are only inviting 4 teams to play for a title, as opposed to 68, those are a massive issues.

Regular season matters, and that’s the appeal of Football, but when there’s three Golden State Warriors in CFB, and two of them play in the same conference, it creates a problem.

Especially when that conference is so far ahead of the other P5 conferences. Furthermore, out of the other conferences, one conference currently has only one Top 10 Caliber Program (ACC), one is slow, unathletic and plodding (B1G), one plays no defense (Big 12) and one might as well get relegated to G5 (Pac12). Then there’s Notre Dame annoying everyone.

Georgia should have beat LSU or at least had it within a possession if they are so good. They lost by 20. It wasn’t close.

They would be favored against Notre Dame, but it’s not a guarantee they beat them every time either.

I don't see the games yesterday being underwhelming as the problem to fix.

In my eyes, circumstances permitting, a national championship should require a perfect season. That only happens by proving it on the field every week.

So, my field would have been Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and UCF. Regardless of who wins that, you have an undefeated national champion. That's an objective standard of greatness.

Now, sure, if you don't have 4 undefeated teams you have to pick a team or teams that slipped up, and that's where conference championships matter to me. It's an extra game against a solid opponent and one more test to prove yourself. I don't care that some of the tests are harder than others, I care that you passed.
I will cage-match fight you to the death over your attempts to normalize UCF as a contender.

I will cage-match fight you to the death over your attempts to normalize UCF as a contender.
Bring. It. On.

It's not about UCF. It's about teams being rewarded for winning. These hypotheticals where some teams are rewarded for imaginary wins against teams they didn't play while other teams are punished with imaginary losses against teams they didn't play is a completely ridiculous, subjective standard to judge by, and that's what is happening.

Didn’t read most of the posts, but if you have two losses you don’t get in the playoff. They had their chance against Alabama and blew it. If they got in (Georgia) I wouldn’t be happy... if they got in then who gives a about your record... who do we think is good. Florida State has a lot of talent, who gives a ... hoot... that they won 5 games, I feel like they might be good.

Why did they have to play Alabama to get in while the others played tomato cans or in Nd case, nobody?

Georgia should have beat LSU or at least had it within a possession if they are so good. They lost by 20. It wasn’t close.

They would be favored against Notre Dame, but it’s not a guarantee they beat them every time either.
I honestly don’t have much of an issue with what the committee did. My only real contention is that ND truly screwed up the Playoff because they aren’t in the ACC full member status.

Someone had to take that 4th spot and be a human sacrifice. We didn’t need two of those though. ND should’ve been eliminated by Clemson in the ACCCG to allow Georgia in.

I don't think Georgia is a top 4 team... Top 4 teams don't lose twice in a season. Top 4 teams don't choke 4th quarter leads. They've done that twice against Alabama now. If that's the case you could make an argument that Syracuse should be in an NY6 bowl cause we were beating Clemson late in the game. Loss is a loss.

I mean these are just arbitrary h0t takes that you’ve posted here but FYI LSU won the title in 2007 with two losses.

Why did they have to play Alabama to get in while the others played tomato cans or in Nd case, nobody?
1, because that's the conference they're in. Duh.

2, you're using a really broad definition of tomato can.

3, Notre Dame's independent status doesn't jive at all with this format. I wouldn't mind if the NCAA declared that the price of Independence is that you are automatically ineligible for the playoff.

They can blame themselves on not getting in on LSU. It’s not hard.

Stuff happens. Clemson got in and was the #1 seed after losing to some team named Syracuse.

2, you're using a really broad definition of tomato can.

3, Notre Dame's independent status doesn't jive at all with this format. I wouldn't mind if the NCAA declared that the price of Independence is that you are automatically ineligible for the playoff.

That’s the point. Do away with conference championships, don’t count them towards getting in the CFP or go 8 teams. The 5 winners and 3 at large.

That’s the point. Do away with conference championships, don’t count them towards getting in the CFP or go 8 teams. The 5 winners and 3 at large.
How do you determine who is a conference champion without a CCG?
What needs to go away are divisions and just have the top 2 teams from each conference playing for the conference title.
Conference title games are going nowhere. They are cashcows for SEC/B1G.

Georgia is a fantastic team and you can easily make the argument that they would be favored over anyone besides Bama and Clemson, but I think the committee got the field right this year. ND deserved to be in the field.

You’re basically saying that Oklahoma should get in over UGa because of where they’re located in the United States and literally nothing else.

I mean, OK?

How do you determine who is a conference champion without a CCG?
What needs to go away are divisions and just have the top 2 teams from each conference playing for the conference title.
Conference title games are going nowhere. They are cashcows for SEC/B1G.

Like I previously said, keep the CCG for financial reasons. But go to 8. The 5 winners and 3 at large. Or trash the CCG’s.

I'm proposing going hard the other direction - the conference championships matter a lot.

It's a neutral site game against a good opponent. Consider it a playoff qualifier, because in the playoff you'll also play a neutral site game against a good opponent. Can't win the qualifier, you can't be in the playoff.

Yes, this means if I was running the show, had Georgia hung on to beat Alabama, that means Georgia is in, and Alabama is out.

You’re basically saying that Oklahoma should get in over UGa because of where they’re located in the United States and literally nothing else.

I mean, OK?
No, I'm saying Oklahoma should get in because they passed more tests and they had one less loss than Georgia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom