University of Georgia | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

University of Georgia

Isn't it fun to at least be on the periphery of CFB Playoff talk now? Next year our goal should be the Orange Bowl with Camping World and Gator Bowls as our fall backs.

I do know Lot 1 is the way to go for tailgating. With the shuttle drop off at the lot and plenty of private parking along W. Central it is the perfect spot to host a tailgate.

No, I'm saying Oklahoma should get in because they passed more tests and they had one less loss than Georgia.

WRT tests one team is taking the exam for Algebra and the other is taking Calc III.

Let’s play it out differently. Georgia gets in over Notre Dame. Notre Dame wins an NY6 game to go undefeated.

It’s pretty irrelevant how the playoffs go from that point, the entire situation would have been a disputed fiasco. I guarantee Notre Dame would have had one of their shadow corporations printing up National Championship t-shirts - and Notre Dame fans would have made our reaction to missing the 2007 NCAA tournament seem tempered. I get people hating Notre Dame and wanting the worst for them...but that is an absolute worst case scenario for the sport.

An undefeated Notre Dame is getting into the playoff, because the possible reprecsssions of them NOT getting in are a disaster.

(True worst case would be Clemson winning, because Syracuse would be used in the comparative score game to “show” Notre Dame was better).
The only thing that could hurt ND is if the P5 schools stop scheduling them, or at least so much. Let them play Navy, BYU, Army, et al, ten games out of 12 and watch them change their outlook on a conference.

I don't see the games yesterday being underwhelming as the problem to fix.

In my eyes, circumstances permitting, a national championship should require a perfect season. That only happens by proving it on the field every week.

So, my field would have been Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and UCF. Regardless of who wins that, you have an undefeated national champion. That's an objective standard of greatness.

Now, sure, if you don't have 4 undefeated teams you have to pick a team or teams that slipped up, and that's where conference championships matter to me. It's an extra game against a solid opponent and one more test to prove yourself. I don't care that some of the tests are harder than others, I care that you passed.

So it’s better to be in a g5 then... easier competition, easier path to undefeated... maybe schedule 4 non cons against fcs... you can’t just have undefeated is in...l if somebody like Alabama goes 11-1 vs the number 1 sos, vs someone who goes 12-0 vs the number 110 sos there’s a difference

Patriots beat the Giants the last week of the regular season to go undefeated, then the Giants beat them in the rematch in the Super Bowl and it was an awesome game.

Rematches aren’t always bad.
And if ‘Bama beat UGA in a rematch by 30?

Why did they have to play Alabama to get in while the others played tomato cans or in Nd case, nobody?
Join a new conference... if they only lost to Alabama then they’d be in... but lose twice when there are plenty of one loss teams and you’re out. You’ve proven over the course of the season you are not the best, it’s not best out of 5. I get that Georgia is probably top 3, but how many chances do you get? Oh you lost, ok cool, we don’t care... oh you lost again, doesn’t matter, we still love you

Join a new conference... if they only lost to Alabama then they’d be in... but lose twice when there are plenty of one loss teams and you’re out. You’ve proven over the course of the season you are not the best

I am a big fan of the logic that UGa would be good enough for the playoffs if they had the exact same team but played in the American Athletic Conference.

Alabama was going to be in the playoff whether they held on vs UGA or not.

The other side of that coin is that UGA is expected to beat Alabama twice to have a shot to win it all, which is a condition that was placed on literally zero other teams.
UGA should depart the SEC and go to the ACC. Problem solved.

WRT tests one team is taking the exam for Algebra and the other is taking Calc III.
I don't care, because once you are in the playoff it's all Calc III.

Plus, why would I give someone that already failed Calc III another shot?

I am a big fan of the logic that UGa would be good enough for the playoffs if they had the exact same team but played in the American Athletic Conference.
YOU ARE GIVING THEM CREDIT FOR RESULTS THAT DID NOT HAPPEN

Come on, man.

It still comes down to the old argument, do you have the four best teams, or the four that meet the criteria best. We have the latter this year.
I am sure Kirby could have blown a big lead to Oklahoma as well.

I'm proposing going hard the other direction - the conference championships matter a lot.

It's a neutral site game against a good opponent. Consider it a playoff qualifier, because in the playoff you'll also play a neutral site game against a good opponent. Can't win the qualifier, you can't be in the playoff.

Yes, this means if I was running the show, had Georgia hung on to beat Alabama, that means Georgia is in, and Alabama is out.

ND isn’t in a conference and Clemson played Pitt. Can’t treat them like the 1st round of the playoffs. The whole system is inequitable.

If Georgia was 12-1 they would have gotten in.
They have themselves to blame even though they were a top 4 team.
They lost to LSU. That would have been a resume win.
Sorry but Georgia has nothing to complain about.

It's unclear to me how you equate not "getting" an Ohio State team in based on your response. The buckeyes went 11-1 in the regular season and destroyed the number one D (at the time) in Michigan who was ranked 4th in the polls in their last regular season game. They also won their conference championship without much difficulty. It appears your not "getting" OSU is more of a negative bias towards them, or possibly the B1G than one of objectivity.
OSU suffered from beating Michigan too convincingly. Made UM look bad and lessened the voters’ perception of their win. Had they won the way Alabama beat Georgia, they might have leapfrogged into the semis.

In a game they shouldn’t have had to play and which was infinitely tougher than any of the other conference championships.
They have to play it because their conference voted to have a championship game. UGA gets a huge financial benefit from that game. They can't keep the rewards then bitch about the impact.

If Georgia was 12-1 they would have gotten in.
They have themselves to blame even though they were a top 4 team.
They lost to LSU. That would have been a resume win.
Sorry but Georgia has nothing to complain about.

Clemson lost to SU. One game a season does not make.

So it’s better to be in a g5 then... easier competition, easier path to undefeated... maybe schedule 4 non cons against fcs... you can’t just have undefeated is in...l if somebody like Alabama goes 11-1 vs the number 1 sos, vs someone who goes 12-0 vs the number 110 sos there’s a difference
The thing is... let's say that path to undefeated is easier. Almost nobody actually pulls it off. It isn't easy.

If you do, it should matter.

ND isn’t in a conference and Clemson played Pitt. Can’t treat them like the 1st round of the playoffs. The whole system is inequitable.
Exactly, given that inequality the only way to resolve it is by game results.

Lol, they'd be in the same spot as ucf... unless they won every game by 30+. When Georgia can their conference or lose 1 or less talk to me

It's unclear to me how you equate not "getting" an Ohio State team in based on your response. The buckeyes went 11-1 in the regular season and destroyed the number one D (at the time) in Michigan who was ranked 4th in the polls in their last regular season game. They also won their conference championship without much difficulty. It appears your not "getting" OSU is more of a negative bias towards them, or possibly the B1G than one of objectivity.
And Michigan was a shell of themselves at year end with clear issues based on defections and results.

Ohio State was smoke by a questionable Purdue squad, survived vs average Maryland and below average Nebraska.

No thanks OSU

The thing is... let's say that path to undefeated is easier. Almost nobody actually pulls it off. It isn't easy.

If you do, it should matter.
I stand by my statement... sos matters

Lol, they'd be in the same spot as ucf... unless they won every game by 30+. When Georgia can their conference or lose 1 or less talk to me

So it seems the solution isn’t just to “join a new conference” as someone whose name I’ve forgotten mentioned above.

OSU suffered from beating Michigan too convincingly. Made UM look bad and lessened the voters’ perception of their win. Had they won the way Alabama beat Georgia, they might have leapfrogged into the semis.

My goodness, I don't even want to think if that indeed was the case, "too convincingly." It just further solidifies the joke that is the 4 team playoff. And, regarding "lessening the voter's perception" well, again, just another classic example of people seeing what they want to see. An immense amount of bias and subjectivity no matter how one wants to slice it.

Moreover, for anyone saying "the committee got it right" that's 100% their opinion...period, not a fact by any means. Attempting to argue otherwise, or that that OSU team from Norman was the "right" choice over the other one from Columbus is considerably subjective.

Last edited:
It is clear that, every year, there will always be arguments about who got in and who didn't get in - no matter how the playoffs are designed or how big they get.

And there will always be advocates for increasing the size of the playoffs.

And the bigger they get, the more likely the 'best' team has a bad day and gets upset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom