Unless JB Really Wants A Shooter On The Wing | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Unless JB Really Wants A Shooter On The Wing

Some may not agree with this comparison but Copeland’s game reminded me of Josh Pace. I wasn’t too excited about Copeland’s shot - in fact I thought it was pretty ugly. But he looks like the kind of player who will just find a way to make plays to help you win.
JB himself compared Copeland to Pace in a preseason interview. Can’t remember what outlet. Cope will play PG here eventually.

I think you’re wrong on Bell and definitely wrong that he won’t be able to get his shot off against ACC defenders. Even JB defended Bell last night and said he went 1-9 from 3, but there will be nights he goes 6-9. He said Bell’s a really good shooter and suggested it was due to first game nerves.
No worries on Bell...yet. Didn’t Buddy start one season something like 3 for 22?

Eh. This isn’t the NBA.

We see all the shooters because we play zone and get ripped up by them.

There’s a place for guys who actually know how to play basketball and can PASS.
True. I wish that place was Syracuse.

Taylor is clearly a more rounded player than Bell.

Copeland is good, but you 100% know that’s not the lineup JB is going to roll with so I’m not sure why you’re doing this to yourself. He’s going to start Bell like it or not.
Taylor is more rounded but Boeheim talked about Bell and his shooting in the post game presser. If we play Copeland at a forward spot the other forward needs to shoot.

Some may not agree with this comparison but Copeland’s game reminded me of Josh Pace. I wasn’t too excited about Copeland’s shot - in fact I thought it was pretty ugly. But he looks like the kind of player who will just find a way to make plays to help you win.
I hope this is the case.

Copeland can get to the rack against most guards and should be able to take small forwards in his sleep.
Copeland is the guard version of Dale Shackleford. For those not familiar with the Shack. He was a 6x7 forward who could play center or guard, not a great shooter, but all around great game and great athlete that scored inside many ways. Started his entire four year career at SU as I recall. Played three years with Louie and Bouie I think.

I agree in principal, but you need to also think about the collective team shooting, and with that kind of lineup, Gerard is the only one capable of hitting a three.

Scary.
Reminds me of those 2004 and 2005 teams when GMac was basically our only three-point shooter. Kind of surreal when you think about it that those teams were actually very good. Obviously the game has evolved a lot and you can't win today with only one shooter on the floor.

Reminds me of those 2004 and 2005 teams when GMac was basically our only three-point shooter. Kind of surreal when you think about it that those teams were actually very good. Obviously the game has evolved a lot and you can't win today with only one shooter on the floor.
At least 2 capable 3pt shooters, 1-2 guys who can consistently beat their man off the dribble/create for others, and an interior scoring threat (doesn't have to put up big numbers, but must force the D to account for him). That's the ideal combination of skill sets that puts the most stress on a D.

I'm not sure why we don't think Mintz is a good shooter. He looked good the other night and he shot 40% plus from 3 in HS/AAU with a plus 85% free throw percentage. on a lot of attempts.

Yeah he isn't a volume 3pt shooter given he doesn't need to be but the 3 he took looked good.

I'm not sure why we don't think Mintz is a good shooter. He looked good the other night and he shot 40% plus from 3 in HS/AAU with a plus 85% free throw percentage. on a lot of attempts.
Yeah, he's my pick for highest 3-point percentage. Steve Smith said he's a very good 3-point shooter who simply opts for a low volume because he's an elite mid-range scorer. His percentage will be really high because he's not a chucker. He'll shoot good looks from 3, and he'll make them. Medium volume, high percentage. That's my guess.

I expect him to be inconsistent from three [because most frosh are], but terrific from mid-range in the lane.

I don't put much emphasis on HS stats, due to low predictive value. But I think Mintz has very solid shooting potential, due to mechanics.

I'm not sure why we don't think Mintz is a good shooter. He looked good the other night and he shot 40% plus from 3 in HS/AAU with a plus 85% free throw percentage on a lot of attempts.
Mintz got past high school defenders so easily he rarely shot from 3pt range. Much higher percentage to lay it in.

It won't be quite so easy against college defenders, so maybe he'll use the third level a bit more.

He looks like he can make open threes if they leave him alone.

Bell must be incredible in practice because JT looked like a better basketball player again tonight. He’s confident with the ball and seems to be in the right place more often than not.

Quadir is clearly going to ride some waves all season but even in a not great game tonight he was active as hell.

I don’t see it yet but if this is our starting lineup I’d be happy to be wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom