UNLV QB refuses to play rest of season | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

UNLV QB refuses to play rest of season

What’s ridiculous about not being particularly bothered that a verbal financial agreement ended up coming up short. What about if Sluka was paid more and got an extra envelope somewhere does he have to return it. Why does it only work one way?

I don’t think there’s enough car dealerships and wealthy college sports fans out there to support this charade. They’re lucky to get anything until they can legally get direct TV money and the likes.

This is no different than Sluka hiring a lady of the night one Friday at the Wynn and her promising a 2 for 1 same time next week and him showing up and her not being there.
Did you ride your bicycle without a helmet as a kid?

I think Sluka has heard from a school who offered significantly more than $100,000. He hadn't been paid by Vegas and had a smooth out - I'm out and will resurface next year with a deal that will make up for what I lost this year and then some.

The interesting part will be at what level he ends up at next year.

So two guys from UNLV sitting out the rest of the year and Bear Alexander (USC DL) now sitting out. Were we involved with him when he was leaving Georgia?

Ironically this may just be the long awaited catalyst to finally bring about stability. It's only a matter of time until things naturally fix themselves somehow.

He said it has nothing to do with NIL.

Relatedly, for those spitting venom at Sluka (and all those selfish kids these days) THIS is the guy you should be pissed at.

Perfectly healthy, but quitting because poor baby didn’t get the carries he wanted last game. THAT is selfish loser behavior.

Strangely none of those moral crusaders have said a word.
I admitted I was wrong about Sluka!

I would say quitting has a different meaning now compared to when I grew up. NIL deals have forced people to make business decisions.

Exactly. Some folks call him a quitter, or maybe he should've played a couple more games & then redshirt. But what if he went out there and got injured? Then he'd be isht outta luck, with no money at all.
Can't blame the kid. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Maybe he can play for us next year.
giphy.gif

You put that here?
Its a defacto Vegas thread. I had been holding out hope of seeing the Aces in the same hotel. The game also got less fun with their QB quitting. It sucks I really wanted to catch NY-LV semi finals the 2 super teams head to head.

What total BS that the WNBA Game 3 goes head to head with our game. Awful.
The Super Bowl is basically the only sporting event that every other sport plans around in terms of not competing with it. With all due respect to the clash of levithians that is Syracuse at UNLV, I don't think our game is registering in any other sport's scheduling plans.

God knows where the truth lies in all of this, but building off of my first post in this thread (about the 40% realization rates of big time NILs against announced value), remember that players are being promised money that does not exist yet.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist due to the money being committed and the check just not being written quite yet and cashed, I'm saying the coaches know they have X dollars committed or in hand, but are promising 2x dollars in total, for example, because they feel like it will eventually come through or they want to apply pressure to the AD's office to keep fundraising.

Again, who knows where the truth lies, but until this has some semblance of order, this is going to keep happening. Before NIL and the no-sitting-out-one-year transfer rule/portal, coaches lied all the time to athletes and recruits or kept it murky, it probably isn't going to stop.

Personally, I'll be honest, I don't really care if Sluka got a better offer, is lying about the $100k and is bowing out now (to be clear, I don't think that happened), I don't like it and I'd be mad if I was a UNLV fan, but I don't really care. Guys have been sitting out bowl games for a while, there was basically an open bidding war for Cam Newton (I was reminded of this on Reddit, why I'm using the example), we landed Kyle McCord because our coach got on a private jet and committed a lot of money to him and probably a starting spot.

It's all a sliding scale and what you're willing to deal with. Sluka sitting? Whatever. The RB redshirting because he wasn't getting PT, fine. The USC DL kid redshirting, hey, come play at Syracuse next year.

Get to 10 wins. Get us to the playoffs. Make sure Fran has the money he needs.

Me at age 12 after New York passed a helmet law: OMG this sucks I'm going to look like such a tool. Helmets are the worst.

Me at 41: anyone at any age who rides a bicycle without a helmet is a moron.

Y'know, every kid I knew rode his bike without a helmet. I don't remember any of my friends getting a head injury, or honestly anything serious from a bike accident, except maybe one kid with a broken arm from a fall. Of course, there were far fewer cars on the street, and people didn't drive so aggressively back then, or have these giant trucks tearing down residential streets.

Y'know, every kid I knew rode his bike without a helmet. I don't remember any of my friends getting a head injury, or honestly anything serious from a bike accident, except maybe one kid with a broken arm from a fall. Of course, there were far fewer cars on the street, and people didn't drive so aggressively back then, or have these giant trucks tearing down residential streets.
You have to ask yourself, would your friend have broken his arm if he were wearing a helmet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom