UNLV QB refuses to play rest of season | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

UNLV QB refuses to play rest of season

College kids are under 21 for most of their college experience. I’m an August birthday and I remember first week of senior year being the only one who could get beer legally bc my housemates were September and October and even younger.

Does Hakkasan risk their licenses just bc the 19 year old at the door goes to UNLV?
You don't think college kids under 21 get into clubs?

I have no idea what you mean?

A player using the portal to transfer to a school often does so due to NIL commitments made by the school.

McCord doesn’t come to SU if he wasn’t promised an amount of NIL money he found acceptable.

If McCord came here, threw 125 picks in preseason camp and was beaten out to be the starter, the collective is still on the hook to pay him what was promised.

We’re not taking about an incentive program here. These are prearranged financial commitments.
No they’re non binding verbal agreements similar to drug deals or buying a prostitute. The NCAA arranged it this way.

He chose one that didn’t pay up it’s his fault not NCAAs.

I hope he never plays again I don’t know where people are coming from rooting this nonsense on.

You don't think college kids under 21 get into clubs?
Not those clubs the most expensive and high profile anywhere. They can probably work there of course or something where there is a will there’s a way.

I don’t think parents with the money to let their kids have nights out at Vegas clubs steer them to UNLV either.

No they’re non binding verbal agreements similar to drug deals or buying a prostitute. The NCAA arranged it this way.

I hope he never plays again I don’t know where people are coming from rooting this nonsense on.
That’s nuts. I think most of these deals are handshakes

I agree with everything you've said, but yeah, I think they tried to extort them.

This is all so weird, just college sports in general.
There has to records of payments from the collective, right? For tax purposes?

Seems like it’d be easy for Sluka to show what he’s received to date.

Uhhhh, I’m pretty sure this isn’t true. Most NIL agreements are signed contracts.

IMO, he was “promised” $100k worth of NIL appearances etc by the coaches. The collective whose responsibility it is to make arrangements and pay the player didn’t come through. And it appears they gave him $3k with a promise of $3k more per month for 4 months for a total of $15k. Not close to what he was “promised”.

How much of this happens had they lost kansas last week, other than rolling utah tech they are avg under 300 yds a game and living on the turnover battle

IMO, he was “promised” $100k worth of NIL appearances etc by the coaches. The collective whose responsibility it is to make arrangements and pay the player didn’t come through. And it appears they gave him $3k with a promise of $3k more per month for 4 months for a total of $15k. Not close to what he was “promised”.
Yup. I thought there were agreements in writing for those appearances by the collective or the volunteer commitments etc. some collectives work with businesses too so there could be appearances there etc. it’s never a contract to play but it’s an agreement to do x y and z. Maybe these aren’t as common but I thought some collectives do them….

An NCAA senior vice president just issued a statement that was just printed in an article by CBS sports on the Sluka situation.
He said In part: unfortunately there is little oversight or accountability in the NIL space and far too often promises made to student-athletes are broken.

So the NCAA is aware that student-athletes are being lied to, there is just no way to stop it at this time.

Clearly there is the belief at the NCAA that Sluka was lied to.
Pretty bad when the NCAA issues a statement like this.
No support offered to UNLV at all.
UNLV and their NIL clearly handled this situation all wrong,

Ok, so they are saying he wasn't offered or paid any NIL.
Because it violated the pay for play rules.

What the hell do they think NIL is?
And why do they even have a NIL collective?

He was only offered scholarships.

Again, they are trying to blame the player.

I dare say this is not going to go well for UNLV at all.
What do YOU think NIL is? The schools can't pay players, and that's pretty much what they are saying.
I think NIL is paid by the NIL collective so that the players play for the school.
NIL collectives and colleges work pretty much hand in hand,
NIL collectives pay who the colleges want them to pay.

Obviously, the NIL collective decided not to make good on a promise that was made to the player during the recruitment process. I tend to think the school was ok with that for whatever reason.
Putting the whole thread here so it's clear what is being relayed. You had a problem with UNLV's statement about NIL, which basically just outlined the rules of what the university is actually allowed to do. You had a problem with that and didn't seem to understand the role of the university here.

This article offers a bit of clarity:

Sluka is an idiot for not getting his NIL in writing…if that is what happened and seems likely.

In any case, bailing now was the right move to protect his eligibility for next year. Money talks, bs walks.
If this is the case someone very smart just got in his ear and wised up very quick.

Stop the Sluka to SU talk. Why would we want him? He’s a bad passer and Nixon is putting in a dynamic motion oriented quick read passing system. Doesn’t seem like a fit.

We found a car for a guy who's biggest contribution may be bringing his dry rub recipe to town. It doesn't make sense that the ONE guy they had to make sure and pay what they agreed to, was this guy and they didn't?
Depends what you want to believe. Seems more likely to me that Sluka didn’t get what he was promised than he tried to extort them for more money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom