Update: Dungey's injury is not career-ending | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Update: Dungey's injury is not career-ending

It is toeing the line at best.

You must he a national inquirer subscriber.

Are you suggesting that there is not significant interest among the fanbase about Eric's ability to suit up again for the Orange?

Or that only National Enquirer readers would want to know?

Agreed, furthermore, there's really no new information in the blurb other than the fact that a "source" doesn't believe it's career-ending. Literally, no information but that piece right there.

Even the follow up about meeting the doctor, all they do is push his former decisions on concussion related issues.

Literally nothing about a concussion has been released. Steer the story PS, steer the story.

Its the equivalent of saying that person X is not a multi millionaire, when person X has only $10 in the bank. The inference is, is that X is rich but in reality X is only has $10 to his name. You are right, it adds very little.

I have to say that people here have no idea how head injuries develop. Perhaps all fans should be made to interview old football players that have sustained head injuries to discover exactly what the future holds for people that have sustained numerous hits to the head. A person's life is a lot more important than a football game.
I am an older football player, and I know literally hundreds if not thousands of former football players. The vast majority, who've almost all sustained concussions, do not exhibit the sensationalized symptoms that TV/News have made commonplace.

I also know a huge percentage of former professional boxers, almost all of which demonstrate tremendous signs of concussion symptoms.

There is no doubt that head injuries are not good. Nobody debates that, but, there is no current way to determine the severity or consistency of effects on any one person.

No a football game is nowhere near as important as a life. But, it's a fundamental RIGHT to choose to play football. Everyone knows the risk, nobody is throwing anyone in the lion's den against their will.

He is a Neurologist.
Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 1.48.52 PM.png

I am an older football player, and I know literally hundreds if not thousands of former football players. The vast majority, who've almost all sustained concussions, do not exhibit the sensationalized symptoms that TV/News have made commonplace.

I also know a huge percentage of former professional boxers, almost all of which demonstrate tremendous signs of concussion symptoms.

There is no doubt that head injuries are not good. Nobody debates that, but, there is no current way to determine the severity or consistency of effects on any one person.

No a football game is nowhere near as important as a life. But, it's a fundamental RIGHT to choose to play football. Everyone knows the risk, nobody is throwing anyone in the lion's den against their will.
If we allow young people to make those decisions, we both know what they will choose. I was small and I played high school football. Nothing anyone would have said to me would have stopped me from playing if it was left up to me. This is high level football. I wouldn't want to be responsible for a person having a terrible life because I let him play when dr's told me he shouldn't.

I know our HS has had more girls get hurt playing soccer than boys in fb
It is a well known fact that in certain demographics, soccer has a higher concussion rate than football.

If we allow young people to make those decisions, we both know what they will choose. I was small and I played high school football. Nothing anyone would have said to me would have stopped me from playing if it was left up to me. This is high level football. I wouldn't want to be responsible for a person having a terrible life because I let him play when dr's told me he shouldn't.

I don't disagree with the youth being misinformed.

But that's the thing, if the Doctor says they shouldn't, they wont. There's no other way around it, you don't play without clearance from a doctor. A doctor whose job it is to determine your mental and phsycial well-being.

Are you suggesting that there is not significant interest among the fanbase about Eric's ability to suit up again for the Orange?

Or that only National Enquirer readers would want to know?

Theres interest. I just disagree with the way the article is written. If Dungey's camp did in fact provide the info, then admittedly that overrules my opinion however. Not sure why they wouldnt agree to be quoted then.

I don't disagree with the youth being misinformed.

But that's the thing, if the Doctor says they shouldn't, they wont. There's no other way around it, you don't play without clearance from a doctor. A doctor whose job it is to determine your mental and phsycial well-being.
That is all I ask.

That is all I ask.
Now the real question is, how well prepared are these doctor's to make these decisions. I'm more and more convinced, that the more we learn, the less we know.

Diagnosing concussions is way more prevalent. This is good. What their long-term effects are, nobody has any clue. Nobody can attribute it to anyone thing.

We only know that hitting your head is dangerous. Currently, we don't even know if one individual hitting their head more than another makes the other more likely for long-term effects. Someone can hit their head once and have concussion systems for months. Another person can have literally the same impact, and demonstrate zero concussion symptoms.

That's what scares the hell out of me.

Hmm...He's a friends father and I always thought he was a neurologist. I will have to check with my friend about that.

Anyways, if he isn't, maybe his injury isn't concussion related.
You might be right then, and the author wrong, which wouldn't surprise me at all. With that said, I feel much better about him making the decisions.

Theres interest. I just disagree with the way the article is written. If Dungey's camp did in fact provide the info, then admittedly that overrules my opinion however. Not sure why they wouldnt agree to be quoted then.

Don't want to go too far out on a limb of speculation, but some might be mindful that a certain secretive football coach wouldn't be too pleased.

No coach likes reporters sniffing around injuries, none.

Don't want to go too far out on a limb of speculation, but some might be mindful that a certain secretive football coach wouldn't be too pleased.

Well, im sure dino could crack the code here, if this is the case.

I have to say that people here have no idea how head injuries develop. Perhaps all fans should be made to interview old football players that have sustained head injuries to discover exactly what the future holds for people that have sustained numerous hits to the head. A person's life is a lot more important than a football game.

and you know he has a head injury?

Hmm...He's a friends father and I always thought he was a neurologist. I will have to check with my friend about that.

Anyways, if he isn't, maybe his injury isn't concussion related.

Dr. James Tucker, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Fayetteville, NY. He has 43 years of experience. His specialties include Family Medicine and Obstetrics and Gynecology. Dr. Tucker is affiliated with St Joseph's Hospital Health Center. He speaks English.

http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_James_B_Tucker.html#ixzz4Q6dLZW2F

Dr. James Tucker, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Fayetteville, NY. He has 43 years of experience. His specialties include Family Medicine and Obstetrics and Gynecology. Dr. Tucker is affiliated with St Joseph's Hospital Health Center. He speaks English.

Yeah, I just googled the same thing. I must have been wrong all of these years. I just sent a text to my friend telling her to have her dad clear him asap. :)

I would agree though, if his injury is concussion related, that a family doctor shouldn't be the one making the final decision.

The unfortunate thing [without consideration of what injury he actually sustained] is that we just can't keep the kid's uniform clean with the way we struggle to block. We suck at pass blocking, and our running game is so subpar that the only way we can gain yardage on the ground is to have Dungey run -- which unfortunately subjects him to more hits and higher potential for injury.

If we weren't so dependent on him running the ball, he wouldn't take 3/4 of the hits he does, which would greatly reduce the risk of additional head injury.

Last edited:
The unfortunate thing [without consideration of what injury he actually sustained] is that we just can't keep the kid's uniform clean with the way we struggle to block. We suck at pass blocking, and our running game is so subpar that the only way we can gain yardage on the ground -- which unfortunately subjects him to more hits and higher potential for injury.

If we weren't so dependent on him running the ball, he wouldn't take 3/4 of the hits he does, which would greatly reduce the risk of additional head injury.

That underlying issue also makes one wonder if he wouldn't be better on the sidelines for the remainder of this season, as it's hard to see the status of the OL improving for the last two games.

Yes I remember him not being a neurologist was one of the main discussion points when we were discussing the prior players who were disqualified with concussion issues. Although it is nice to know we have someone handy should our players have any obstetrical or gynecological issues.

Yes I remember him not being a neurologist was one of the main discussion points when we were discussing the prior players who were disqualified with concussion issues. Although it is nice to know we have someone handy should our players have any obstetrical or gynecological issues.

haha...maybe the second opinion was Dungey seeing a Neurologist? Who knows...I hate speculating, especially regarding SU sports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom