Urban Meyer Knew of Abuse Allegations Against Ohio State Coach in 2015 | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Urban Meyer Knew of Abuse Allegations Against Ohio State Coach in 2015

Yeah, that's it... when you wake up... you might get it then (probably not)

Is it just possible that he actually believed the guy? No charges were brought after an investigation.

weird how everything is 20/20 when another program is involved, yet when it's our program, suddenly institutional control has a much lower bar

Last edited:
Seriously?... It's this mindset that allows these "scumbags" to exist

1. It's IN his contract to report
2. Both ARE employees
3. Law Enforcement/Campus Police... they're not "fans of the program" and would NEVER turn their heads the other way
4. She was warned that she might lose her children's custody if she reported

Urban isn't the REAL bad guy... Smith is... But, Urban decided "wins" and the "program" meant more then the safety and well-being of a human being

The seminal question is whether he has a legal duty to report - contractual or otherwise. I did not see domestic violence references in his contract and title ix very likely wouldn’t apply.

I don’t understand what you mean by ‘mindset’? But you seem to know everything about everything so I’m sure you’ll enlighten me. I didn’t condone his actions.

snip

I just wanted to quickly say I think you are spot on and are saving me a lot of typing. I've started a half dozen or so posts in this thread, but I just don't have it in me to enter the fray.

I'm an attorney with CPS. I deal with mandated reporters all the time. A (depressingly) large portion of the cases I prosecute deal with domestic violence. While the facts described in this incident may be new and scandalous to many, there are a routine occurrence in my world. To those who think saying, "but why didn't she just go to the police if it was truly that bad" - I don't know how to put it except you simply don't know what you are talking about. You don't appreciate the complexities and considerations involved in intimate partner violence - especially when children are present. You need to consider that the decision making by the victims is not black and white and perhaps listen for a while. Or, better yet, go volunteer at a domestic violence shelter and listen to victims yourself.

The thing that truly makes me shake my head is this notion that somehow there has been this seismic shift in how society sees domestic violence from 2009 to 2018. Nine freaking years! Not 1959 or 1979, but 2009! That is just preposterous. If one was trying to make that claim about sexual assault or using power to coerce sex (allt he Weinsten/me too stuff), then sure, no doubt. But domestic violence? No way, not in the last nine years.

Because of family connections, I am very close to the inner workings of a blue blood football program. People trying to compare this to business or other kinds of employment are missing the point. EVERY. SINGLE. FOOTBALL. PROGRAM uses family as a selling point. They foster a family atmosphere in the program and sell that hard to recruits and players. It is culture, and it is an effective motivator and achieves cohesion. The coaching staff spends an insane number of hours together. Their families spend a ton of time together. Think about it - climbing the ranks as an assistant coach is a nomadic journey. Jobs change frequently and it is hard to build relationships when you are only in a stop for so long. As a results, the family of coaches tend to bond together. The wives have a common bond in understanding the grind of having a largely absent husband during the season. The pressure of being in the public eye. They travel together, eat together, their kids play together. They become extended family together. There is simply no way Urban Meyer did not know.

A college football staff is not a business. These guys are sold to recruits as shapers and molders of men. The coaches are frequently having players over to their homes to eat, play, hang out. The wives become pseudo moms to the players. Their kids as younger siblings. That's all part of the job description. An assistant coach's home life is extremely relevant to his job performance in a way that your run of the mill office worker's is not..

The seminal question is whether he has a legal duty to report - contractual or otherwise. I did not see domestic violence references in his contract and title ix very likely wouldn’t apply.

I don’t understand what you mean by ‘mindset’? But you seem to know everything about everything so I’m sure you’ll enlighten me. I didn’t condone his actions.

Again, with reporting being the focus here; if urban reports its nothing but a formality to satisfy a bunch of suits above him. What power do they have with this kinda crime ? You can fire the coach, but ultimately SHE needed to get the cops involved.

So, regardless of our battle of opinions which is good chat; What has transpired in the last few days in UM's favor? I see some stories suggesting just that.

I just wanted to quickly say I think you are spot on and are saving me a lot of typing. I've started a half dozen or so posts in this thread, but I just don't have it in me to enter the fray.

I'm an attorney with CPS. I deal with mandated reporters all the time. A (depressingly) large portion of the cases I prosecute deal with domestic violence. While the facts described in this incident may be new and scandalous to many, there are a routine occurrence in my world. To those who think saying, "but why didn't she just go to the police if it was truly that bad" - I don't know how to put it except you simply don't know what you are talking about. You don't appreciate the complexities and considerations involved in intimate partner violence - especially when children are present. You need to consider that the decision making by the victims is not black and white and perhaps listen for a while. Or, better yet, go volunteer at a domestic violence shelter and listen to victims yourself.

The thing that truly makes me shake my head is this notion that somehow there has been this seismic shift in how society sees domestic violence from 2009 to 2018. Nine freaking years! Not 1959 or 1979, but 2009! That is just preposterous. If one was trying to make that claim about s e xual assault or using power to coerce s e x (allt he Weinsten/me too stuff), then sure, no doubt. But domestic violence? No way, not in the last nine years.

Because of family connections, I am very close to the inner workings of a blue blood football program. People trying to compare this to business or other kinds of employment are missing the point. EVERY. SINGLE. FOOTBALL. PROGRAM uses family as a selling point. They foster a family atmosphere in the program and sell that hard to recruits and players. It is culture, and it is an effective motivator and achieves cohesion. The coaching staff spends an insane number of hours together. Their families spend a ton of time together. Think about it - climbing the ranks as an assistant coach is a nomadic journey. Jobs change frequently and it is hard to build relationships when you are only in a stop for so long. As a results, the family of coaches tend to bond together. The wives have a common bond in understanding the grind of having a largely absent husband during the season. The pressure of being in the public eye. They travel together, eat together, their kids play together. They become extended family together. There is simply no way Urban Meyer did not know.

A college football staff is not a business. These guys are sold to recruits as shapers and molders of men. The coaches are frequently having players over to their homes to eat, play, hang out. The wives become pseudo moms to the players. Their kids as younger siblings. That's all part of the job description. An assistant coach's home life is extremely relevant to his job performance in a way that your run of the mill office worker's is not..
Your stuff is always a pleasure to read, even on troubling matters. Major respect.

Mcmurphy on XM84 now. He’s done. Highest paid employee in state of Ohio. See ya Urb

I hear ya, but everyday that goes by with tjos investigation will lean me into thinking he stays. Most say he only lied to the media. Who knows. He is a scumbag and his name is a dirty word in Gainesville.

I hear ya, but everyday that goes by with tjos investigation will lean me into thinking he stays. Most say he only lied to the media. Who knows. He is a scumbag and his name is a dirty word in Gainesville.
It may be a dirty word but I know quite a few Gator alums who would take him back in a heartbeat.

You have got to be some special kind of loser to make signs and attend that. Good lord

Absolutely, what goes into the thinking? I mean there are phases of thought there. Sight the "opportunity ", make the sign?, STILL no reality check...then gas up the car...we are going where to do what?...get there are see less than 200 people there fpr less than 30 minutes? How was that decision?

@Brett_McMurphy
For those who have asked for my response to Jeff Snook’s claim Saturday: “I have never revealed my sources in my nearly four decade journalistic career & I am not going to start now. However, I will say unequivocally that Tom Herman was not my source.”

Last edited:

https://watchstadium.com/news/zach-...s-staffer-nude-photos-white-house-08-17-2018/

The original story for those who want a direct link. (you gotta fix the spaces between the S and the E and the X.)

The thought of Brett McMurphy going through Zach Smith's White House d8ck pics in great detail and verifying them against Smith's wedding ring, tie, and suit for the White House reception made me laugh out loud.

This story gets more and more bizarre.

Edit: After thinking about the story for a few minutes, I really think that McMurphy is going for trash journalism here and maybe getting personal vengeance with Smith. The story now is what did and didn't Urban know and did Urban act on that information appropriately. It's not Urban's job to know what people have in their Amazon packages, what their personal kinks are, and if they are having an affair. The only relevant piece of the story is if Urban knew Smith was hooking up with a staffer (which Urban probably didn't) and if he acted appropriately if he knew.

I always thought McMurphy was a classic CFB journalist, but, after digesting that bizarre article, posting someone's personal Amazon purchases makes me think less of him.

Last edited: