USA Men's Soccer Win in Mexico, 1st Time Ever! | Syracusefan.com

USA Men's Soccer Win in Mexico, 1st Time Ever!

A nice performance by Terrence Boyd, too. Gomez was not good.

Tim Howard was awesome, and I was impressed by the back line for the most part.

Geoff Cameron was outstanding. He and Howard absolutely saved us all night. Cameron shut down Chicharito all night.

I thought with the roster we brought down there (no Deuce, no Bradley, no Boca, no Cherundolo, no Jozy, etc) we would be lucky to only lose 2-0 or 3-0. Outstanding result.

Beckerman still sucks though.

Geoff Cameron was outstanding. He and Howard absolutely saved us all night. Cameron shut down Chicharito all night.

I thought with the roster we brought down there (no Deuce, no Bradley, no Boca, no Cherundolo, no Jozy, etc) we would be lucky to only lose 2-0 or 3-0. Outstanding result.

Beckerman still sucks though.

I don't get how Beckerman manages to stick around. Maybe Jurgen thinks his haircut is good for the team's image? :noidea:

i know the result is in favor, but the US pretty much got worked the whole game. few standout performances but still a long way to go. howard kept us in the game

Brek Shea is the future.
Eh. I hope so but I got a bit disenfranchised with him after his horrendous run of form in the MLS and not making the roster for the Olympic games or US friendlies. Hope he can get back on track, we need some young stars. I think Boyd/Agudelo/Diskerud are the future.

the marking by cameron and edu in the middle was very good I think the US has to go with quicker backs then they have in the past and Klinsman knows this Lucky win with so little possession and attack but still a confidence builder

So happy we stole that especially while they're basking in their Olympic victory!

I'd give anything for a savvy center midfielder who can dribble/distribute - Torres ain't the answer and Jermaine Jones' lack of touch drives me crazy.

Eh. I hope so but I got a bit disenfranchised with him after his horrendous run of form in the MLS and not making the roster for the Olympic games or US friendlies. Hope he can get back on track, we need some young stars. I think Boyd/Agudelo/Diskerud are the future.

He came right in and had an instant impact setting up the goal. He's still young and has some work to do with the mental aspect.

So happy we stole that especially while they're basking in their Olympic victory!

I'd give give anything for a savvy center midfielder who can dribble/distribute - Torres ain't the answer and Jermaine Jones' lack of touch drives me crazy.
I'd say we have one in Michael Bradley.

And they overcame the worse midfield performance in the history of US soccer to win that game. I've never seen worse games than the ones put in by Landon and Torres today. Half the time I couldn't tell which team Jermaine Jones was playing on because he was passing to the Mexicans more than his own teammates. Ironically I thought Beckerman was the best of a really poor group of midfielders today. At least his turnovers were at the other end of the field. Speaking of turnovers what the heck is up with Timmy's distribution... how many times did he either kick it straight back to Mexico or out of bounds. His distribution is becoming a real sore point.

There is something magical about Klinsie in the way he is able to get his team to believe. More tactically he's solidified the defense so that it never gets sliced open and exposed like it did in the gold cup final. But just like with our own SU football team he needs to start putting in an offensive strategy that can actually threaten someone because 9 times out out 10 we lose this game. The 3 d-mid formation where no one can do anything on offense and is a turnover machine HAS to go.

i know the result is in favor, but the US pretty much got worked the whole game. few standout performances but still a long way to go. howard kept us in the game

I don't think they got worked all game at all...

Mexico certainly outpossessed USA handily, but they did very little withn that possession to create solid chances and really didn't get a sniff of the goal... until the final 20 mins after they brought in the second srtiker.

Brek Shea - loved it... came in with a load of energy, got the ball on the flank and ran at his man into the box with power, daring the mexican defenders to stop him - they couldn't.

Torres with another off game... when he's bad, he's bad... Landon was obviously dinged up and not himself either in the first half...

Geoff Cameron... I'm a believer...

Beckerman is Beckerman... He's a backup B player... decent passing and holding skills, so he fits into Klinsman's ideology but he's just not fast enough for tier 1 / international soccer...

It was an ugly win... but you take any win you can get at azteca...

We won with a B side as well. Mexico was closer to their A-Side, with obvious A-Goalie and Dos Santos missing...

It was a solid win.

Boyd's going to be a stud. Already killing it w/ rapid wien.

And they overcame the worse midfield performance in the history of US soccer to win that game. I've never seen worse games than the ones put in by Landon and Torres today. Half the time I couldn't tell which team Jermaine Jones was playing on because he was passing to the Mexicans more than his own teammates. Ironically I thought Beckerman was the best of a really poor group of midfielders today. At least his turnovers were at the other end of the field. Speaking of turnovers what the heck is up with Timmy's distribution... how many times did he either kick it straight back to Mexico or out of bounds. His distribution is becoming a real sore point.

There is something magical about Klinsie in the way he is able to get his team to believe. More tactically he's solidified the defense so that it never gets sliced open and exposed like it did in the gold cup final. But just like with our own SU football team he needs to start putting in an offensive strategy that can actually threaten someone because 9 times out out 10 we lose this game. The 3 d-mid formation where no one can do anything on offense and is a turnover machine HAS to go.

Jermaine Jones is terrible. I can't remember one game (even in the 1 or 2 Bund games of his I've watched) where I feel like he even has the chance to be good in the future.

I like him better than Jones but he lacks creativity; I'd like a poor man's Pirlo/Ballack type midfielder.
Bradley is the future captain of the US side, and he's been fantastic for Roma so far. He's playing at a high level, he's relentless and while he may not be as creative as you'd like, he's got a knack for making plays.

Bradley is the future captain of the US side, and he's been fantastic for Roma so far. He's playing at a high level, he's relentless and while he may not be as creative as you'd like, he's got a knack for making plays.

He's done well so far with Roma. Admittedly a bit better then I thought he would.

I hope his stint in Serie A infuses a little Italian creativity into his game (enjoyed his goal at Fenway). I'm too used to seeing him as a glorified marking back at central midfield. Has Klinsman left him out of the lineup on purpose or was he injured/overseas in the past year? I get the feeling that Klinsman isn't a fan. What am I missing?

Bradley has been playing on the team since Klinsman's first day, not sure why he didn't play in this game but off the top of my head he's started in probably 80% or more of the matches since Klinsman came on. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think Bradley is one of our more consistent players, every game you know he is going to work hard, distribute correctly, make very few/no mistakes, and he's a good defender. What more do you want.

Not sold on Boyd yet, we've been here before with other players that come in and make 1 - 2 exciting plays in a game. He has the talent for sure but he is very raw. He is nowhere near being a star on this team at this point.

Bradley has been playing on the team since Klinsman's first day, not sure why he didn't play in this game but off the top of my head he's started in probably 80% or more of the matches since Klinsman came on. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think Bradley is one of our more consistent players, every game you know he is going to work hard, distribute correctly, make very few/no mistakes, and he's a good defender. What more do you want.

Not sold on Boyd yet, we've been here before with other players that come in and make 1 - 2 exciting plays in a game. He has the talent for sure but he is very raw. He is nowhere near being a star on this team at this point.
Bradley's got the Macky stigma. People thought the only reason he was ever on the national team was Bob, and then people nitpick him on everything. He was the best player on his squad last year, and has settled into Roma nicely. He's definitely far ahead of Torres at this point and is only getting better. If his form continues with Roma this year the US will easily blow through WC qualifying.

Also, Tim Howard has to be up there in the top 10 keepers in the world. Has to. The saves that man makes are unreal. Would love to see him have a great season for Everton to solidify that status.

Love Terrance Boyd. Kid has the size, pace, and ability to perform as a great striker for us in the future. Plus, this...

1-0 Win. Well done. USA!

75 yr wait is over for US Soccer fans.

Just look at that unbridled enthusiasm.

IS960-084.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online