USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 87 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

Wow! So many doom and gloomers. Just like any other market or business, the choicest of products or markets will be selected first. However, this is sports, the "haves" cannot remain "haves" if they lack victims. And because e this is college sports, which was and is built on a large number of colleges,, the pool must be large or you will loose many fans. Not everyone will tune in to watch Alabama beat up SEC opponents outside of SEC territory. Most people outside of B1G territory don't care about tOSU. Once the prime cuts are chosen, the choice cuts will be divvied up. Then, the lesser cuts. SU may not be a prime but, but is clearly a choice cut.

Simy put, CFB wit one top tier of 30-40 schools will flop. The product will be NFL light and will lose too much of the rest to I vest a Saturday. Sure, fans will watch some games but not l day and every Saturday. That is why they need a broad spectrum of schools.

If one thing is clear, we should all recognize the greed of the networks has been at play for decades hiding the real value of live sports from the schools and conferences. Also, the schools and conferences are at fault for not listening to real business people who have tried for decades to help them.

Anyway, SU will be fine. SU needs to stay focused on improving what they are doing academically and athletically. Their history speaks for itself.

You think someone is going to lose an election b/c of PAC 10 football lol. That conference is worse than the ACC, their two biggest teams just left and the conference as a whole is barely watched. Nobody is losing an election over this.
Reading comprehension is a friend

Wow! So many doom and gloomers. Just like any other market or business, the choicest of products or markets will be selected first. However, this is sports, the "haves" cannot remain "haves" if they lack victims. And because e this is college sports, which was and is built on a large number of colleges,, the pool must be large or you will loose many fans. Not everyone will tune in to watch Alabama beat up SEC opponents outside of SEC territory. Most people outside of B1G territory don't care about tOSU. Once the prime cuts are chosen, the choice cuts will be divvied up. Then, the lesser cuts. SU may not be a prime but, but is clearly a choice cut.

Simy put, CFB wit one top tier of 30-40 schools will flop. The product will be NFL light and will lose too much of the rest to I vest a Saturday. Sure, fans will watch some games but not l day and every Saturday. That is why they need a broad spectrum of schools.

If one thing is clear, we should all recognize the greed of the networks has been at play for decades hiding the real value of live sports from the schools and conferences. Also, the schools and conferences are at fault for not listening to real business people who have tried for decades to help them.

Anyway, SU will be fine. SU needs to stay focused on improving what they are doing academically and athletically. Their history speaks for itself.
What your saying is if the P2 takes 30-40 schools, it won't have enough depth and will suffer poor ratings. So, they will probably want 60+ schools in which case SU most probably makes the cut. I think that's it in a nutshell.

Isn’t Vandy already in the promised land? Would they be booted?
I have always said that the eventual end game is that the players won't have to go to class. There'll be about 30 or so in an elite group, mostly from the B1G and SEC, that will leave the NCAA for football, basketball, and probably baseball/softball. When that happens, Vandy will leave the SEC because they will require their players to attend class and will refuse to play anyone who doesn't.

This isn’t a gotcha thing, but when I applied and got in my senior year of HS (97/98), I could have sworn we were ranked 38th, basically tied with BC (believe BU was around that same ranking). When I started the next year I think we were 41st.

Any shot you know the general acceptance rate back then?

when i applied in 93 there was little difference academically btw the schools. My brother, functionally illiterate IMO, went to Northeastern and we laughed about it.

Fast forward to 2022:
Northeastern - 6.7% acceptance rate, ranked 49, 90k applications
BC- 16% acceptance rate, ranked 36, 40k applications
SU-44% acceptance rate, ranked 59, 41k applications

Syracuse seems to be moving the right way. The issue is the schools we were peers with have become much much much more selective and are a first choice now vs 20-30 years ago when BC was Gtown safety.

I think the university has to fix this issue further if we want to be considered a selective school. This may matter on the margins

Reading comprehension is a friend

What you said:

“What Oregon politician would block Oregon from jumping onto a life boat? That would be political suicide. What politician would want to be known as the one blocking Oregon and causing their program to die as well? Good luck getting reelected on that.”

when i applied in 93 there was little difference academically btw the schools. My brother, functionally illiterate IMO, went to Northeastern and we laughed about it.

Isn’t your brother now the CEO of a Fortune 500 company?

What you said:

“What Oregon politician would block Oregon from jumping onto a life boat? That would be political suicide. What politician would want to be known as the one blocking Oregon and causing their program to die as well? Good luck getting reelected on that.”

I know what I said, obviously you don't based on your comment. No politician is going to block Oregon or Washington from moving to the B1G. There is zero incentive to do so. If anything they would get backlash for it.

44% acceptance rate.
That’s a really interesting data point. Though it doesn’t tell the entire story because we don’t know who is applying. Just the same…

Any idea what this number was during SU’s better academic years?

That’s a really interesting data point. Though it doesn’t tell the entire story because we don’t know who is applying. Just the same…

Any idea what this number was during SU’s better academic years?

I do not. Here is the past 10 years though.

1708B5F8-221A-47AC-89A7-372403AE5185.jpeg

Actually that’s not the last 10 years. Doesn’t have this fall which was the 44.4%.
What is the prevailing attitude on the optimal number?

The line starts at 6 hours, gets pretty sparse inside of that.

Technically it's about 4 (NYC to Syracuse). Boston to Syracuse is 5.

But there are a lot of things to do in those cities. Anyone in Manhattan has the additional logistics of a vehicle, assuming they wouldn't have one.

After you start making the babies, that complicates things as well.

I still go to 1-2 per year. 1 with the friends is a lock, 1 with the family is a maybe. But it's just not the event that it is at other schools. In this chicken and egg, the winning has to come first. I keep doing it, because we have fun catching up regardless of how bad we are.

6 bowl games this century, when you just have to go .500 to make a bowl game, isn't going to cut it.

What is the prevailing attitude on the optimal number?

To me that's the interesting question. Harvard is sub 3% now? That to me is almost grotesque because they need to consider ramping up their admissions. Otherwise 3% is a lottery system.

Harvard could add 10k students IMO and force those who want to go to find housing elsewhere or do a portion online.

I think the numbers are going to be a bigger problem the lower the rate goes. Syracuse has some room to improve but once you get sub 15% the school almost becomes a luxury item.

Technically it's about 4 (NYC to Syracuse). Boston to Syracuse is 5.

But there are a lot of things to do in those cities. Anyone in Manhattan has the additional logistics of a vehicle, assuming they wouldn't have one.

After you start making the babies, that complicates things as well.

I still go to 1-2 per year. 1 with the friends is a lock, 1 with the family is a maybe. But it's just not the event that it is at other schools. In this chicken and egg, the winning has to come first. I keep doing it, because we have fun catching up regardless of how bad we are.

6 bowl games this century, when you just have to go .500 to make a bowl game, isn't going to cut it.
OIP (10).jpg

Oh I don't know - I just think the history is pretty clear that in college sports the have's eventually get tired of sharing $ with the bottom feeders, and tradition does not trump $. In my opinion.

The thing is, there will ALWAYS be bottom feeders. Someone has to lose. It may just be different teams if teams continue to move.

If the markets don't watch the product, what good is the product?

You still need geographical representation in these super conferences to lock up markets. Period.

You actually understand, people don't want a minor league in football.
The only reason College Football works is fanatic fans following their University.
Whether they are local or alums.
Without all those people college football will die.

Interest talk by Warren about Stanford, Cal, Washington and Oregon being on the BIGs expansion radar.

1) Could be absolutely true
2) Could just be throwing that out there to string those schools along and keep them from joining an agreement with another conference.

The latter seems far fetched, but BIG is shrewd and not adverse to lying and backstabbing.

Interest talk by Warren about Stanford, Cal, Washington and Oregon being on the BIGs expansion radar.

1) Could be absolutely true
2) Could just be throwing that out there to string those schools along and keep them from joining an agreement with another conference.

The latter seems far fetched, but BIG is shrewd and not adverse to lying and backstabbing.
3) Both

This isn’t a gotcha thing, but when I applied and got in my senior year of HS (97/98), I could have sworn we were ranked 38th, basically tied with BC (believe BU was around that same ranking). When I started the next year I think we were 41st.

Any shot you know the general acceptance rate back then?
You are correct. We were 39. Another gift from Nancy.