USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 88 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

Interest talk by Warren about Stanford, Cal, Washington and Oregon being on the BIGs expansion radar.

1) Could be absolutely true
2) Could just be throwing that out there to string those schools along and keep them from joining an agreement with another conference.

The latter seems far fetched, but BIG is shrewd and not adverse to lying and backstabbing.
Agree. They might be concerned the ACC is going to grab them, strengthen into the solid third best conference and block their ability to expand further west should ND give them the cold shoulder.

ND, please give them the cold shoulder. ;)

It comes down to what ESPN wants to do. If they provide the money to make adding some of the P12 teams into the ACC make sense financially for the current ACC schools and the P12 schools joining, it will happen.

I don't think there is any way this is happening unless the ACC schools get a significant increase in revenue for doing it.

Could ESPN do this at least in part to just screw with the B1G?

Yes, I think so.

You are correct. We were 39. Another gift from Nancy.

Ya, basically my range of schools applied to was like 15-45 in ranking (I think, it's been a while).

3) Both

Agree. I think they're running the math on everyone.

But I also think they're the "sources" releasing names to McMurphy and others.

I don't really buy that, outside of ND, anyone adds enough value to increase the share per team. But who knows what kind of leverage they have over the TV bidders.

IMO the B1G would take FSU to get a stronger foothold into Florida. That more than makes up for the so so academics. And FSU is FSU. It isn't like they are adding WV football.
The Big Ten would never add Florida State, but I could see them adding Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia Tech and Miami to strengthen their east coast footprint

The Big Ten would never add Florida State, but I could see them adding Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia Tech and Miami to strengthen their east coast footprint
Miami is a private school. B1G will take Florida St before Miami. For the same reason, they took Rutgers before Syracuse.

Miami is a private school. B1G will take Florida St before Miami. For the same reason, they took Rutgers before Syracuse.
Respectfully disagree with your take. Rutgers has the advantage over Syracuse of being a pretty good academic school in a fantastic geographic area for big 10 expansion.

Lets hope that ESPN has the sense to save the ACC and PAC
They haven't given any indication they will do anything for the ACC. Texas and Oklahoma would have been better off in the ACC.
Notre Dame has wanted to schedule Texas, and if they were in the ACC it would have been a natural.

The only one. I bet B1G wants to get rid of Northwestern, just don't know how.
They probably have, just as the SEC has to Vanderbilt.

Miami being private doesn't disqualify them as they have invested heavily in football and have a large media market that is growing.

The last time a conference invite was leaked prior to everything being essentially done was ACC back in 2001 with Syracuse and Va Tech. Everyone learned from that. Since then when the info came out, these moves were already essentially official.

This tells me the Big 10 is looking at these teams and sources are bogus. Why would Big 10 leak that if it was true. As Jake and sutomcat alluded to, I think it is a way to get these schools to not join another conference right now. If they wanted them they would have taken them with USC and UCLA.

The last time a conference invite was leaked prior to everything being essentially done was ACC back in 2001 with Syracuse and Va Tech. Everyone learned from that. Since then when the info came out, these moves were already essentially official.

This tells me the Big 10 is looking at these teams and sources are bogus. Why would Big 10 leak that if it was true. As Jake and sutomcat alluded to, I think it is a way to get these schools to not join another conference right now. If they wanted them they would have taken them with USC and UCLA.
Yea there playing a game as last week they said they were set at 16 for the time now

It’s hard not to be concerned that if the Big Ten gobbles up the remaining viable PAC 12 schools, eventually the GOR breaks or is settled leading to the top half ACC teams getting gobbled up by SEC/Big 10 to turn both into 20+ school super conferences. That final alignment leaves a slew of NE schools like Syracuse, BC, Pitt, WVU (without a place to go) back to square one to form some type of irrelevant Big East conference. Ugh

The movers and shakers of the Acc look very bad at this point IMO, the GOR is obviously tough to work with at this point, but one would think they have to start being aggressive. IMO they need to figure out which Big 12 schools would move the needle maybe even only 10 million more. You can’t just stand there and do nothing if these next four pac schools go to the Big 10 as well, it just looks weak, I’d say maybe TCU, Baylor, ok state and then maybe cinci or Utah or Colorado out of the pac.

northwestern is Very highly ranked academically and has prestigious law,medical and journalism schools as well. they extensive research . ther is no way in h... big 10 wants to dump them.
I believe the B1G schools each own 1/15 of the B1G (less the 50% stake Fox owns). Those shares are worth a lot of money and are a road block that would make it expensive to boot a school out of the conference.

Except for Rutgers, who has borrowed so much money against its stake that it would be no problem to kick them out. They would still owe money in that situation. Rutgers is a very special school.

The movers and shakers of the Acc look very bad at this point IMO, the GOR is obviously tough to work with at this point, but one would think they have to start being aggressive. IMO they need to figure out which Big 12 schools would move the needle maybe even only 10 million more. You can’t just stand there and do nothing if these next four pac schools go to the Big 10 as well, it just looks weak, I’d say maybe TCU, Baylor, ok state and then maybe cinci or Utah or Colorado out of the pac.

The ACC is not redeemable. Everyone is looking to bolt. You can't build or stabilize with any fidelity when nobody really wants to be there. This league is playing for third. But they are clearly already in third, so what's the rush? "Looks weak?" They are weak. Leverage matters.

The ACC's only hope to remain competitive at this point is adding Notre Dame as a full member (which there is only a remote chance of ever happening, and not in the near future).

The Bevo is on life support. Texas leaving was the death knell. The Pac is on life support. All that Phil Knight money can't overcome the fact that UO is in a state with a population of only 4m people and they have a dead beat half-brother who they will either have to kick to the curb or split anything they have coming there way.

We have about 5-10 years somewhat left of status quo. Folks would do well to start wrapping their minds around that major college athletics, as we know it, are going to change substantially.

Last edited:
The ACC is not redeemable. Everyone is looking to bolt. You can't build or stabilize with any fidelity when nobody really wants to be there. This league is playing for third. But they are clearly already in third, so what's the rush? "Looks weak?" They are week. Leverage matters.
B1G is sharpening their knives to cut up the ACC, the SEC doesn't want them to get into their markets. It will happen before the new media deals go into place.

The ACC is not redeemable. Everyone is looking to bolt. You can't build or stabilize with any fidelity when nobody really wants to be there. This league is playing for third. But they are clearly already in third, so what's the rush? "Looks weak?" They are week. Leverage matters.

The ACC's only hope to remain competitive at this point is adding Notre Dame as a full member (which there is only a remote chance of ever happening, and not in the near future).

The Bevo is on life support. Texas leaving was the death knell. The Pac is on life support. All that Phil Knight money can't overcome the fact that UO is in a state with a population of only $4m people and they have a dead beat half-brother who they will either have to kick to the curb or split anything they have coming there way.

We have about 5-10 years somewhat left of status quo. Folks would do well to start wrapping their minds around that major college athletics, as we know it, are going to change substantially.
The ACC is not weak. The negative narrative is making us look weak. The ACC can’t sit back and watch this all unfold and not respond aggressively. The Big 10 doesn’t want Oregon and Washington. So the ACC should go get both of them immediately and then add Stanford, Cal, Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Arizona State, Texas Tech, TCU, and Oklahoma State to open up a western division. This will add new major TV markets coast to coast. Get this done NOW. It’ll be enough to force ESPN to open up the contract and renegotiate the price. Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, Oregon, Washington, Stanford—these are all major college sports brands. Plus partial member Notre Dame.