USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 89 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

The ACC is not weak. The negative narrative is making us look weak. The ACC can’t sit back and watch this all unfold and not respond aggressively. The Big 10 doesn’t want Oregon and Washington. So the ACC should go get both of them immediately and then add Stanford, Cal, Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Arizona State, Texas Tech, TCU, and Oklahoma State to open up a western division. This will add new major TV markets coast to coast. Get this done NOW. It’ll be enough to force ESPN to open up the contract and renegotiate the price. Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, Oregon, Washington, Stanford—these are all major college sports brands. Plus partial member Notre Dame.
I don't know what will be more difficult. Explaining to my wife that the Big 10 has like 20 schools now, or that the Atlantic Coast Conference has a Pacific division.

The last time a conference invite was leaked prior to everything being essentially done was ACC back in 2001 with Syracuse and Va Tech. Everyone learned from that. Since then when the info came out, these moves were already essentially official.

This tells me the Big 10 is looking at these teams and sources are bogus. Why would Big 10 leak that if it was true. As Jake and sutomcat alluded to, I think it is a way to get these schools to not join another conference right now. If they wanted them they would have taken them with USC and UCLA.
This new Big Commish is worse than Sankey. If I'm the ACC Commish I would fly to meet with each of the ACC schools in person. I would sit down with the Chancellors, President and AD and ask them exactly what they wanted accomplished for their schools. I would tell them in person my plans and lay everything out. I would ask them to provide me with their true intentions and if they had initiated and or been contacted by anyone else relative to leaving the ACC prior to the GOR expiration date.
I would then tell them that I will do everything in my power to strengthen our conference. Finally, I would inform them in no uncertain terms that in the event they attempt to break the GOR I will spend every last penny of ACC money defending it in court. That I will not negotiate any settlement and anything other than complete compliance with the terms of the GOR will be dealt with in court and that in addition to the money owed under the terms I will seek damages against their school.
Fear is a great motivator, and these Academic children need to hear it firsthand from the guy in charge. Hardball is what we need from our commissioner as he is up against two animals, and he better be prepared to take the gloves off.

This new Big Commish is worse than Sankey. If I'm the ACC Commish I would fly to meet with each of the ACC schools in person. I would sit down with the Chancellors, President and AD and ask them exactly what they wanted accomplished for their schools. I would tell them in person my plans and lay everything out. I would ask them to provide me with their true intentions and if they had initiated and or been contacted by anyone else relative to leaving the ACC prior to the GOR expiration date.
I would then tell them that I will do everything in my power to strengthen our conference. Finally, I would inform them in no uncertain terms that in the event they attempt to break the GOR I will spend every last penny of ACC money defending it in court. That I will not negotiate any settlement and anything other than complete compliance with the terms of the GOR will be dealt with in court and that in addition to the money owed under the terms I will seek damages against their school.
Fear is a great motivator, and these Academic children need to hear it firsthand from the guy in charge. Hardball is what we need from our commissioner as he is up against two animals, and he better be prepared to take the gloves off.
If 8 schools have an invite to leave, they can vote the GOR is null and void.

northwestern is Very highly ranked academically and has prestigious law,medical and journalism schools as well. they extensive research . ther is no way in h... big 10 wants to dump them.
I think B1G hope Northwestern become the next University of Chicago. But homestly I don't know how NW do it. For a long period of time, its football was always in the very bottom of B1G. Recently it gets better, but still in the bottom half of B1G.

Respectfully disagree with your take. Rutgers has the advantage over Syracuse of being a pretty good academic school in a fantastic geographic area for big 10 expansion.
Rutgers wasn’t chosen over Cuse.

Cuse was already signed to be in the ACC by then

Cuse was accepted into ACC in 2011 and Rutgers to the Big 10 in 2012

You don’t think that kind of thing took place at the ACC meetings a few weeks ago with all the ADs?

and most of those people would lie to his face, say thanks for the meeting, and call their attorney and say "hey how you coming on those GOR loopholes".

Wake SU Pitt BC LV Vtech Duke NC state would most likely be the ones to stay.

Clemson, FSU NC VA Miami Gt are the ones to leave. Not sure if ND gets a vote if so, I would think they would vote to keep it together.

BC screwed us before and i could see them holding serve and leaving. Pitt might also be attractive to the Big. Duke might be a take with UNC. I don't see the Florida schools going to the SEC, but I could see them going to the Big.

In my opinion the Big is our enemy. If ESPN is smart, they will do everything possible to strengthen the ACC. They already have the SEC and Fox is their enemy. Given that the Big has the most to gain by raiding the ACC I would hope that ESPN would step up raid the PAC and make the ACC a very solid 3rd conf. Getting them in the 70m a year range for each school.

The ACC is not weak. The negative narrative is making us look weak. The ACC can’t sit back and watch this all unfold and not respond aggressively. The Big 10 doesn’t want Oregon and Washington. So the ACC should go get both of them immediately and then add Stanford, Cal, Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Arizona State, Texas Tech, TCU, and Oklahoma State to open up a western division. This will add new major TV markets coast to coast. Get this done NOW. It’ll be enough to force ESPN to open up the contract and renegotiate the price. Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, Oregon, Washington, Stanford—these are all major college sports brands. Plus partial member Notre Dame.

Those brands need to add between $36m-38m a piece to the ACC to make adding them worthwhile. Otherwise, you are just adding more hungry mouths to feed from the same trough.

Warren said it (or maybe it was the anonymous AD) - this is business now. No school is interested in taking less. That's why some folks here are curious as to why the B1G and SEC are willing to carry schools like Purdue, NW, Vandy, Miss St, when they bring little "value ($)" to their existing conference, and whether they will be willing to jettison such schools?

Maybe it's necessary to ensure that have enough market saturation. How many schools out there bring $71m in value? That's the break even point for new adds to the B1G.

northwestern is Very highly ranked academically and has prestigious law,medical and journalism schools as well. they extensive research . ther is no way in h... big 10 wants to dump them.

In this era, I don't think anyone cares about the academic angle.

But Northwestern pulls its own weight on the football field, much moreso than Vandy.

They've been competitive, invested in their program, and found the perfect coach for life, assuming he doesn't get an NFL itch that someone wants to scratch.

You don’t think that kind of thing took place at the ACC meetings a few weeks ago with all the ADs?
I know it didn't. Why? Because the ADs are minor players. My plan is to go to the decision makers not their employees.

Do we know this is true? Or an urban legend?
I don't know. my two cents are that whatever percentages was needed to add a new member is most likely the same percentage

I know it didn't. Why? Because the ADs are minor players. My plan is to go to the decision makers not their employees.

Oh, ok. I didn’t know you were in the meetings with the ADs. ADs report to those presidents and chancellors. You don’t think they ever communicate?

I don’t know why people keep saying teams A, B and C want to leave blah blah blah. Why the hell did those schools sign a GOR that goes to 2036 then?

It's kind of old now (July 6), but I saw an interview where one of the ACC insiders (Tony Siracusa) said there is a competitive revenue clause in the GOR that could be an out for some of the schools.

I've been off the board a bit this summer, but was that discussed?

The gist of it was schools in other leagues were making significantly more money (example used was Clemson making half the conference money of a Rutgers) then it was a way out for them. They'd obviously have to make an argument as to what is "significant" but that example seems like an easy one.

Seems odd to me that the bigger schools would ever have signed it if they didn't think there was a way out. But what do I know.

I don’t know why people keep saying teams A, B and C want to leave blah blah blah. Why the hell did those schools sign a GOR that goes to 2036 then?

Perhaps, these are the same schools that never envisioned a world in which their students, faculty, etc. had to wear masks, or semesters with 100% virtual classes? The ensuing landscape today isn't the same versus when those schools signed that GOR. So, maybe that's why people are saying teams, A, B & C?

Oh, ok. I didn’t know you were in the meetings with the ADs. ADs report to those presidents and chancellors. You don’t think they ever communicate?
my point bees are that I would meet in person with the people who run the schools not the ADs. I would meet directly with them not count on the ADs communicating something as important as this.

It's kind of old now (July 6), but I saw an interview where one of the ACC insiders (Tony Siracusa) said there is a competitive revenue clause in the GOR that could be an out for some of the schools.

I've been off the board a bit this summer, but was that discussed?

The gist of it was schools in other leagues were making significantly more money (example used was Clemson making half the conference money of a Rutgers) then it was a way out for them. They'd obviously have to make an argument as to what is "significant" but that example seems like an easy one.

Seems odd to me that the bigger schools would ever have signed it if they didn't think there was a way out. But what do I know.

I haven’t seen mention of something like that but it doesn’t mean it’s not there.

They didn't think there was going to be such an enormous discrepancy in league incomes.

They didn't think there was going to be such an enormous discrepancy in league incomes.

Seems like they miscalculated. And a 20 year deal is a long long time. If they didn’t think there would be changes over 20 years, I don’t know what to say.

In this era, I don't think anyone cares about the academic angle.

But Northwestern pulls its own weight on the football field, much moreso than Vandy.

They've been competitive, invested in their program, and found the perfect coach for life, assuming he doesn't get an NFL itch that someone wants to scratch.
NW's new football facility is incredible, and Fitzgerald is a helluva coach.

Last edited:
Seems like they miscalculated. And a 20 year deal is a long long time. If they didn’t think there would be changes over 20 years, I don’t know what to say.
I think that Clemson, Gtech, FSU and Miami didn't think they would be getting into another conference as the SEC already has teams in those states and wouldn't want them and the idea of the B1G going that far south seemed preposterous at the time. The Carolina teams wanted to keep the ACC together, it is their conference along with UVA. The rest of the teams don't really have a place to go, so they all had reasons to vote for a long term GOR thinking it would be a strength but now seems short sighted. At this point, I could see the SEC absorbing 8 teams and throwing a lock on the south.