USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 96 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

Houston
Kansas City
San Diego
Dallas
Cincinnati

All significant media markets. Thats why

Agree with most of what you said, except the Texas choices. IMO Houston should be #1. Then either Texas Tech (IMO the #2 choice) or Baylor. TCU isn't worth adding. That was a mistake by the B12 to add them in the 1st place.
That's wrong. TCU was supposed to be in the original Big XII and not Baylor. The governor of Texas and the Speaker of the House in the legislature at the time were both Baylor grads and told the Big XII, "No Baylor, no UT."

How does that help bring money to the ACC? They aren't good traditionally or currently in football or basketball. They have no athletics brand. They are a small private school with a small fanbase. Rice is monied too and no one is knocking on their door.
Hmm.
Gary Patterson was 181-79 there as HFC.

Jamie Dixon is 117-84 there as HBC.

Hmm.
Gary Patterson was 181-79 there as HFC.

Jamie Dixon is 117-84 there as HBC.

I have a higher standard for good. They are 23-24 the last four seasons in football and prospects are not good long term. Having three out of 4 seasons that were great before that stretch does not make you a good PROGRAM. Patterson did a great job there but they aren't anywhere near being a Top 25 program right now. Dixon has done a good job for TCU, but they haven't been good. Making 2 NCAAs in 6 years is far from good. He is .396 in conference!!!!

How is the B12 adding TCU in 2012 not a mistake? They are a small private school in a market that was already covered. They should have added Louisville or Houston.

Why Houston? The town is Pro sports in every season, and has been for a very long time. During football, the Cougars are a distant #4 in the TV market behind Texas, Longhorns, and Aggies, and are barely bigger than LSU.

Even TCU is in its own town that is not Dallas within the DFW TV market.

Nobody watches Kansas in football, and we already have enough eyeballs for basketball. Nobody watches SMU either. Houston is better than that that pair for football TV eyes, and it is less than Baylor and TTU and TCU.

San Diego State? In the ACC?

TCU has no pull in DFW, come on. You can't say no one in Houston cares and then say people in Dallas do. BTW Texas is the Longhorns.

Houston has better facilities, access to more money, and nearly 4x as many students. The potential fanbase is much larger. I am taking the large public school over the small public school long term.

I have a higher standard for good. They are 23-24 the last four seasons in football and prospects are not good long term. Having three out of 4 seasons that were great before that stretch does not make you a good PROGRAM. Patterson did a great job there but they aren't anywhere near being a Top 25 program right now. Dixon has done a good job for TCU, but they haven't been good. Making 2 NCAAs in 6 years is far from good. He is .396 in conference!!!!

How is the B12 adding TCU in 2012 not a mistake? They are a small private school in a market that was already covered. They should have added Louisville or Houston.
Which Big XII school is in the Dallas-Fort Worth market?

They ran in cycles under Patterson, several good years followed by a bad year. His last 3 years were in the down cycle. In 19 years as their coach , they went to 14 bowl games (10-4).

Dixon has made the postseason in 4 of 6 years, won the NIT with the team he inherited and won a game in last year's NCAAs.

Which Big XII school is in the Dallas-Fort Worth market?

They ran in cycles under Patterson, several good years followed by a bad year. His last 3 years were in the down cycle. In 19 years as their coach , they went to 14 bowl games (10-4).

Dixon has made the postseason in 4 of 6 years, won the NIT with the team he inherited and won a game in last year's NCAAs.

Why did the B12 need a team with a small fanbase to physically be in the DFW market? They already had Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor, and Texas Tech which gives enough of a presence. Adding TCU made the B12 too Texas centric and did nothing for their TV rights. The conference needed to move East. Louisville as a travel partner for WV made more sense. Or even Cincy. That is assuming BYU didn't want to join. They would be a bigger add. Heck even Houston that year was #18 (TCU was #14). IMO TCU should have been pick #5 for the B12. But that isn't what Texas wanted. They didn't care about the rest of the conference.

Why did the B12 need a team with a small fanbase to physically be in the DFW market? They already had Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor, and Texas Tech which gives enough of a presence. Adding TCU made the B12 too Texas centric and did nothing for their TV rights. The conference needed to move East. Louisville as a travel partner for WV made more sense. Or even Cincy. That is assuming BYU didn't want to join. They would be a bigger add. Heck even Houston that year was #18 (TCU was #14). IMO TCU should have been pick #5 for the B12. But that isn't what Texas wanted. They didn't care about the rest of the conference.
They didn't have Baylor. They didn't want Baylor. They were forced to take Baylor by the governor of Texas or they wouldn't get Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech. They wanted TCU and not Baylor and not Houston. Do you question the wisdom of what they wanted when they formed the Big XII when the Southwest Conference folded? Because that's how it comes across. They had their choice of any teams from the Southwest Conference and wanted Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and TCU. They were forced to give up TCU and take Baylor instead.

They didn't have Baylor. They didn't want Baylor. They were forced to take Baylor by the governor of Texas or they wouldn't get Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech. They wanted TCU and not Baylor and not Houston. Do you question the wisdom of what they wanted when they formed the Big XII when the Southwest Conference folded? Because that's how it comes across. They had their choice of any teams from the Southwest Conference and wanted Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and TCU. They were forced to give up TCU and take Baylor instead.

I am talking 2012 not 1996.

Because old Big 8 teams like the idea of playing in DFW for recruiting. The DFW TV market produces as many D1 football recruits as all northeastern states combined.

I can’t keep up with the tangents in this thread. What conference is adding TCU to reap the untold fortune that will come from their inclusion?
Shows you how over his head Tranghese was

I can’t keep up with the tangents in this thread. What conference is adding TCU to reap the untold fortune that will come from their inclusion?
TCU is already in the Big XII. They replaced Texas A&M. I guess he dumped them in Conference Iteration # (sorry, I've lost count).

Outside of the Flutie years I'd put Boston on that list of huge media market that doesn't care about college sports.
Exactly. I am from SEC country. I grew up surrounded by really Big Time CFB. I opposed the ACC adding BC ferociously. I was banned from most UNC boards and from many other ACC boards for making the simple case that in terms of college sports, Boston was a dead market, totally dead. I wrote ADs and college presidents. I flooded the ACC offices.

Umm yes. See Rutgers and NYC dma
NYC is almost as dead for CFB as Boston, but that does not hurt the BT because the BT already had 4 of the dozen or so biggest names in the history of CFB (Ohio St, Mich, PSU, and Nebraska, the first 3 of which all had 100K stadiums). If the ACC had PSU rather than Louisville and SoCar rather than Wake, then having BC would not hurt the ACC enough to matter. We could joke easily about it the way BT people do with Rutgers.

Outside of the Flutie years I'd put Boston on that list of huge media market that doesn't care about college sports.
I heard on the Pat McAfee show that BC doesn’t even allow alcohol at tailgates anymore. Can anyone confirm?

I heard on the Pat McAfee show that BC doesn’t even allow alcohol at tailgates anymore. Can anyone confirm?
I have been to many Syracuse games played at BC. Here is the inside scoop:

BC fans do not drink beer. It gives them an upset stomach. They prefer cheese and wine. Most prefer cheese and wine to football and spend most of their time on Saturdays eating and drinking. Some eventually leave their tailgating soirées and show up at the stadium just before halftime.

The men have high pitched voices, are embarrassed by their lack of manliness and rarely speak or cheer. They cry easily and look good in sombreros.

I've been a BC season ticket holder and don't remember a tailgate I didn't have a beer in my hand.

That sounds crazy. The Boston isn't a college football town is right in the prism of "it's not a college town like the ones in the south". I mean let's be frank here, other than Chicago is LA, Philly, NYC any more/less a college town than Boston for football? College football is a big time sport that allows small time towns to feel bigger. Tuscaloosa, Ann Arbor, Columbus, etc etc. That's what makes it so great. There's enough of the big towns watching that the tv networks keep throwing money at these conferences. Otherwise it wouldn't pay

I think every town has viewers of specific teams. I'd love to know from the media folk here how well does ND do in Boston on NBC vs the BC game on whatever station it's on. I would think ND draws decently in Boston.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom