USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

The key thing said (from a very experienced source) is that ESPN is behind such early discussions. First notable indication ESPN is looking for the ACC to succeed.
That’s because they are in white hot content war with Fox not with the ACC.

If this is about football, which I think this has been established, what is the fascination with UNC? I can understand Clemson and Fla. St; but what is up with UNC or Virginia?

If this is about football, which I think this has been established, what is the fascination with UNC? I can understand Clemson and Fla. St; but what is up with UNC or Virginia?
They add footprint thus more eyeballs. Basically B1G and SEC think their teams are good enough to carry the whole conference, so they add punchbags into the mix. That is why Pitt and SU could be more attractive than Florida St, NC State, Duke and Virginia Tech if SEC wants to expand much bigger.

State schools w/ good academics, in growing population areas.
Potential “sleeping giants” in Football, and worth the risk over other choices.

State schools w/ good academics, in growing population areas.
Potential “sleeping giants” in Football, and worth the risk over other choices.
If this rumor has legs - and if UNC/UVA have the means to get out of the GOR - then I think the B1G swoops in and makes a play. I think that’s the preferred destination anyway.

SEC winds up with VPI and NC St. And I still don’t see them going against Florida and adding FSU. If they do, though, Miami will wind up going B1G.

Mention of Cuse and NYC Market. I still think if all hell breaks loose…an ACC PAC merger makes sense…well as much sense as any of this conference BS makes sense.
This is what some of us have been saying—the ACC has more to offer than the Big 12. The Pac could also add a few Big 12 teams—Kansas, Iowa state and a couple of the Texas teams—to form a western flank for a combined coast to coast ACC/PAC 12:

“Geography aside,” Thompson told me Tuesday, “(the ACC) has significantly better TV markets than the Big 12.”

The ACC’s television markets include Boston, Atlanta, Washington D.C., Miami, Tampa, Louisville and Orlando, among others. Syracuse has some reach in the New York market, too. The Pac-12’s footprint includes Seattle, Phoenix, the Bay Area, Denver and Salt Lake City.

Last edited:
Didn’t say you were dead. Just don’t value your opinion.

Joke. ;). Would love to hear what a Clemson fan thinks.

If there was a BC fan or. Pitt fan out there on the Internet, we would love to hear from them too. Maybe someday…
And here I was thinking I was part of the family...

I feel like the conference is on a sinking ship to essentially relegation. I'm not sure how the ACC can be saved and we are looking at being $100 million behind per school. There will be no way to keep up. Recruiting will be hurt in all sports and we'll all be basically G5 schools. It sucks.

You know if the SEC was smart, they'd offer the entire PAC12 and ACC to join, take everything. They'd now have the entire East and West Coast. You know, where all the people live? And the people who have the most money? Oh yeah, and all the bowl games are played too. Hey B1G! Go have fun with your heartland of america league, we'll make our own. We'll have the Rose, Orange, Fiesta, and Peach bowls. Your not invited. Feel free to make your own Corn Bowl.

You know if the SEC was smart, they'd offer the entire PAC12 and ACC to join, take everything. They'd now have the entire East and West Coast. You know, where all the people live? And the people who have the most money? Oh yeah, and all the bowl games are played too. Hey B1G! Go have fun with your heartland of america league, we'll make our own. We'll have the Rose, Orange, Fiesta, and Peach bowls. Your not invited. Feel free to make your own Corn Bowl.

That actually makes sense. If they want to be the dominant conference that would essentially make the SEC, “the” college football league. It’d also give the SEC a bunch of punching bags for their regular schedule. I suggested before that that’s what the B10 should do to counter the SEC.

I would have thought VT instead of UVA but a combination of those 4 is not a surprise. If they left, Would love to see a 10 team ACC merge with a 10 team PAC

Seeing rumors the SEC is now targeting Clemson, FSU, UNC and Virginia
UNC and UVA would never go to the SEC. They would want the academic prestige of the B1G and fellow AAU research universities, and they’ll have their choice if they decide to leave someday. Think like a university president, not a fan.

Last edited:
Yeah, well….at least we have water. Come to Syracuse and take long showers and wash your car whenever you want!
No hurricanes. No earthquakes. No rising tides. Low housing prices. Water we got plenty.
red white and blue wow GIF by Bomb Pop

It’s not just about football power. It’s also about fan bases, TV markets, academics. Lots of things need to line up for a school to get an invite.

If UVA and UNC end up in the B1G someday, Va Tech and NC State could land in the SEC because they don’t have any schools in those states right now.

In talking ACC vs Big 12 power position, expansion guru Frank the Tank nailed the Big 12’s issues 6 years ago when they still had Texas and Oklahoma in the fold and were looking at expansion:
—The Big Ten, SEC, Pac-12 and ACC are all academically, financially and demographically superior to the Big 12… and it’s not even a contest. The ACC Network deal seems has to cemented the notion that the Big 12 can’t hold out for the misguided hope to pick off other power conference schools (albeit Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated reported some residual delusion within the Big 12 that they could poach some Pac-12 schools in the next decade, which ought to be asinine to anyone that has followed conference realignment over the years). Every reasonable Big 12 expansion target is going to come from one of the non-power Group of 5 (“G5”) conferences outside of independent BYU.

I would have thought VT instead of UVA but a combination of those 4 is not a surprise. If they left, Would love to see a 10 team ACC merge with a 10 team PAC
Ironic the VA governor is quiet this time around. Obviously diff scenario but I still think politics has its day esp if enough red states are not included. Their elected leaders will march leaders to Washington

Schools will be getting double to quadruple what they currently make. Travel will be a drop in the bucket.
It will be a really nasty bucket to deal with for the "student-athletes". (Except for the football players.)

There are still too many games outside of your region. A Western division of 6 teams means they have to travel cross country 2x for football and worse for other sports.
Football travel is no big deal--they only play once a week, and an extra 3 hours on a plane is not a terrible hardship. All the other sports, who play multiple games/matches in a week, is another story.

Please don't double down on stupid. The GOR won't help anyone survive. But only a complete dimwit would suggest letting people that signed one, off the hook. No one with a lick of business sense would suggest that would be a good idea.
still missing the point.

you want the GOR because...why?

i say its antiquated and useless.

uznip it, open it up...see what people got. then tell them their exit fee.

if you prefer doing business by holding a gun to their heads and yelling...youre going nowhere without giving me all your money 1st!!!...then i am wrong and welcome to the good side.

i just dont think thats good business.

and the GOR works as well as a rowboat in a naval battle.

if anyone wants out of the ACC, theyre leaving and i bet a single penny wont be paid to a GOR.

and if there is, it will be so small no one will care and the smart world will laugh at whomever takes its...pettyness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom