USMNT 2024 | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT 2024

US Soccer did the right thing. I like this hire.

Good thread on Poch…

Good read - great points on this being about results and not the whole puff piece American underdog or American talent coming of age story. There is talent here and let’s see what Poch can do with it. We may not be jogging out multiple world superstars but that’s not an excuse for the failures to date in getting the most out of the pool of players available now.

Maicon. Classic game. I couldn't believe what I was watching.

I think Bale had a hat trick that first game, and it was at the San Siro, in Milan. I remember the announcers were blown away. I think Spurs sold Bale to Madrid that summer.

What I like is he immediately commands respect in a way that GGG could never do, he has no scared cows and he is pragmatic... I can't wait to see a more direct style of play that will play to the strengths of this team. He took a lesser talented Tottenham team to new heights... I can easily picture the USMNT playing like Tottenham (of course there is no Kane/Bale/Modric).

Even his work with Chelsea last year was quite good. When he came in, they had so many players in the "first team" that a bunch of them had to change clothes in the hall. The dressing room wasn't big enough for them all.

Then, they had 57 separate injuries last year, and were mid-table in December, playing without Reece James, Ben Chilwell, Wesley Fofana, Christopher Nkunku, Romeo Lavia for the entire year, and Enzo Fernandez playing with a torn groin muscle for the last half of the season.

Somehow, out of all of that, Chelsea played top 4 in the 2nd half of the season, and made it to Europe. The team won its final 5 games. They finally were getting to know each other and build chemistry.

The biggest complaint was that he worked the team too hard in conditioning, and maybe caused the injury crisis. Well, Antonio Conte and Jose Mourinho worked their players hard, too, and made them suffer on defense. That's how you build winning teams.

And in any event, Poch won't be able to overwork them in just a handful of practices at a time. He will have to rely on the players' club teams to keep them in shape. That's not his job any longer.

What he has to do is teach these guys his new passing patterns. Show video to the team of how Gregg taught you to bring the ball up, and then show video of how late-season Chelsea advanced the ball. Show them the patterns, and where to look for the openings in the defense. Gregg's offensive patterns became too easy to defend. That's why the offense stagnated (along with where he chose to play some of the players).

I read Roger Bennett say that Poch will probably bring his trusted #2 guy, and his son, too, who is a fitness guy. Poch will need somebody to be his MLS Scout, and somebody who can tell him about what it's like to play in some of these countries in CONCACAF, how 1960s some of this football can be.

Overall, though, this is the best they possibly could have done. And it's a home run for Poch, too. It's a free shot to rehabilitate his image with a team tailor made to his strengths. On top of that home team in a World Cup. If he made a semifinal, he would be a legend. He would have his choice of jobs in the world.

And if they make it out of the group stage, but lose in the Round of 16? Well, it's better than Berhalter did at Copa, and equals his performance in 2022.

I think for now the USA ceiling is Round of 16 and if they get lucky in that matchup can make Quarterfinals. The country doesn't develop enough quality players yet to compete with the top tier. Maybe someday but not yet.

I think for now the USA ceiling is Round of 16 and if they get lucky in that matchup can make Quarterfinals. The country doesn't develop enough quality players yet to compete with the top tier. Maybe someday but not yet.

I don't know about that. We don't have a legit "world class star", but we have half a dozen champions league quality guys, and a bunch of guys beyond that who play in European leagues. Even the top MLS guys are good enough to play in the Championship in England, or in Belgium or a smaller European league.

It's about health and game time. You need to be playing, that's the most important thing. Maybe some of these guys are not starters on a Champions League club, but are good enough to start for one that's mid-table. You have to be honest with yourself. You have to play to get better.

Do you think that Morocco or Denmark or Greece, teams of that level that make surprise tournament runs are that much more talented than us? I'm not convinced they are. People forget that we made the Quarter Finals in 2002. These guys may not be as tough as that generation, but they are more skillful players.

Even his work with Chelsea last year was quite good. When he came in, they had so many players in the "first team" that a bunch of them had to change clothes in the hall. The dressing room wasn't big enough for them all.

Then, they had 57 separate injuries last year, and were mid-table in December, playing without Reece James, Ben Chilwell, Wesley Fofana, Christopher Nkunku, Romeo Lavia for the entire year, and Enzo Fernandez playing with a torn groin muscle for the last half of the season.

Somehow, out of all of that, Chelsea played top 4 in the 2nd half of the season, and made it to Europe. The team won its final 5 games. They finally were getting to know each other and build chemistry.

The biggest complaint was that he worked the team too hard in conditioning, and maybe caused the injury crisis. Well, Antonio Conte and Jose Mourinho worked their players hard, too, and made them suffer on defense. That's how you build winning teams.

And in any event, Poch won't be able to overwork them in just a handful of practices at a time. He will have to rely on the players' club teams to keep them in shape. That's not his job any longer.

What he has to do is teach these guys his new passing patterns. Show video to the team of how Gregg taught you to bring the ball up, and then show video of how late-season Chelsea advanced the ball. Show them the patterns, and where to look for the openings in the defense. Gregg's offensive patterns became too easy to defend. That's why the offense stagnated (along with where he chose to play some of the players).

I read Roger Bennett say that Poch will probably bring his trusted #2 guy, and his son, too, who is a fitness guy. Poch will need somebody to be his MLS Scout, and somebody who can tell him about what it's like to play in some of these countries in CONCACAF, how 1960s some of this football can be.

Overall, though, this is the best they possibly could have done. And it's a home run for Poch, too. It's a free shot to rehabilitate his image with a team tailor made to his strengths. On top of that home team in a World Cup. If he made a semifinal, he would be a legend. He would have his choice of jobs in the world.

And if they make it out of the group stage, but lose in the Round of 16? Well, it's better than Berhalter did at Copa, and equals his performance in 2022.
I’m curious as to how all this works. Is he going to take the time to come to the us and learn about mls or will he be strictly europhile? Club coaches succeed because they have hundreds of hours a year w their team on the practice grounds… can Poch make the switch to see you for 4 weeks a year? What happens when super club X in Europe comes calling?

It’s a bold move by the usmnt… I like Poch and I hope this works. But there is definitely risk here.

I’m curious as to how all this works. Is he going to take the time to come to the us and learn about mls or will he be strictly europhile? Club coaches succeed because they have hundreds of hours a year w their team on the practice grounds… can Poch make the switch to see you for 4 weeks a year? What happens when super club X in Europe comes calling?

It’s a bold move by the usmnt… I like Poch and I hope this works. But there is definitely risk here.

There would be a risk with anyone Klopp included. The bigger risk would have been not to fire Berhalter.

I think the USMNT training base is in Atlanta, so I would guess he will probably move there (and still keep his house in London). That way, from London he can monitor (and even visit) US team players playing in Europe, and he'll have a place in Atlanta for when the team trains.

I would guess he would hire someone who already knows MLS well, to act as his scout, and then he will have time to see the MLS players who are recommended. Understanding CONCACAF is only important with respect to the Gold Cup.

I don't know about that. We don't have a legit "world class star", but we have half a dozen champions league quality guys, and a bunch of guys beyond that who play in European leagues. Even the top MLS guys are good enough to play in the Championship in England, or in Belgium or a smaller European league.

It's about health and game time. You need to be playing, that's the most important thing. Maybe some of these guys are not starters on a Champions League club, but are good enough to start for one that's mid-table. You have to be honest with yourself. You have to play to get better.

Do you think that Morocco or Denmark or Greece, teams of that level that make surprise tournament runs are that much more talented than us? I'm not convinced they are. People forget that we made the Quarter Finals in 2002. These guys may not be as tough as that generation, but they are more skillful players.
I think the US has a lot of players at good Euro clubs but a tad too many are bench guys and not truly first XI. I think Morocco has more talent than the US if we're talking best 23 (but they aren't that far ahead).

Really surprised they got someone as highly acclaimed as Poch. Good times.
I did not believe Klopp was real and I believed they were going to go the MLS route.

Then, during the Olympics, I looked up who hired Hayes.

Since Crocker hired Hayes, I knew he would at least try to get an impact coach for the men also and, if he was unable to, it would be because the high profile guys were not interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom