USMNT 2024 | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT 2024

We need someone experienced and willing to be hard on these players. They should have no input on the next manager. That being said I totally expect it to be what the golden soiled generation wants.

We need someone experienced and willing to be hard on these players. They should have no input on the next manager. That being said I totally expect it to be what the golden soiled generation wants.
I do like Steve Cherundolo but I don't think any manager should be coming from MLS.

I do like Steve Cherundolo but I don't think any manager should be coming from MLS.
I’d like to think after listening to the fans on this firing, they’d know hiring an MLS guy would not satisfy anyone but they don’t really have my faith lol.

you read that story about Klopp and how little effect a countries coach actually has on improving his players and you really realize that its really about how good your players are not how good your coach is.

Now maybe a coach gets 1-2 guys to pick the US over some other country but training wise the just dont have the time to fix the issues.

you read that story about Klopp and how little effect a countries coach actually has on improving his players and you really realize that its really about how good your players are not how good your coach is.

Now maybe a coach gets 1-2 guys to pick the US over some other country but training wise the just dont have the time to fix the issues.

So our 2014 performance was about talent? We beat a decent Ghana team, should have beaten Portugal, lost 1-0 to the eventual champ Germany, and lost in extra time to Belgium. We only conceded 3 goals combined in the first 90 mins of those 4 matches. We must have had a world class defense then, right?

The team's organization is important, and that is coaching. Otherwise explain how well the smaller countries performed in the Euros. Also the coach impacts the team's fitness and mentality. Those at times can be more important that overall individual talent, it is a team sport after all. And lastly the coach influence the team's makeup. Both who is selected and where they play. Choosing the wrong formation or playing someone out of position can have a negative impact. If it is just talent then Brazil would have won a dozen World Cups by now.

What do you guys think about Alexi Lalas? He said he would jump at the chance to coach the team.
He is the most horrendous soccer commentator in our country. The worst analyst. All you have to do is look at the faces of Chiellini and Sturridge when he talks. It's 90% nonsense.

Klopp has already turned down the US opportunity stating he still wants a break from football.

Renard would be an incredible choice.
I agree and probably the most realistic international coach who we could get at this point. He has been able to coach up and get the most out of some underwhelming situations. He’d also likely be available once the French women are done at the Olympics.

I’ve seen some rumors about Low and his interest in North America and coaching in 2026… but I wouldn’t count on it.

I would not be unhappy with Pochettino. His style would get the best out of these players. His Chelsea defense was shaky, but his best players were hurt a lot.

P.S. - Joachim Low - Had a winning percentage of 63% in nearly 200 games in charge of the German national team. 1st place and 3rd place in the World Cup, won Confederations Cup, has been out of coaching since being fired by Germany 3 years ago. This guy was Klinsmann's tactical brains. He would understand the project and have instant credibility. Germans also speak very good English, generally speaking.

Max Allegri would teach defense incredibly well. His 2nd stint at Juventus didn't go as well as the trophy-laden first time around, but he is a serial winner. He tends to use possession to control pace. Not as high-pressing as the German coaches, but not passive in possession, either. The Italians are known as the king of tactics. He is one of the best.

And here's another odd thought - what about David Moyes? He loosened up from such a defensive minded coach, and had a few good teams at West Ham, leading them to unprecedented success for that club. He's kind of like this generation's Roy Hodgson.

Last edited:

I think the point is that training with your club is an everyday thing. That's why their improvement comes mostly on the club level.

National team coaches certainly have an impact, though, with their tactics and team selection. You have to implement a style of play.

That's why a European coach would be best. Ideally, they would provide a rough match for what the club coaches do, since most of our best players play in Europe. MLS coaching is inferior.

Last edited:
Forza, what do you have to say? I don’t follow soccer closely but your opinions have always sounded accurate. To my untrained eye, the team looked much more cohesive and dynamic when Berhalter was gone.
LOL...not sure it is deserved but appreciate the faith...

We were oversees for a couple weeks so missed the first two US games but saw the Uruguay game. Thought we played well. Perhaps if the team had played with that level of urgency more often, we might not be looking for a new coach.

I am not a fan of the MMA midfield unless we are playing an opponent who wants to give up and down with us and our athleticism can be used to our advantage. I am also not a fan of Reyna playing on the wing. I thought both worked in the first half against Uruguay. Uruguay wanted to get up and down just enough that MMA were effective. And Reyna was also effective but, to me, Balogun was the difference maker - dropping between the lines to pick up the ball and lay it off. I thought the turning point of the game was when Balogun had to go off. After that, we were effectively toothless in attack. And, instead of bringing Reyna inside to provide that linkage and a creator, he did nothing. We went out and he was fired. Deservedly so.

He had done just enough throughout his tenure to keep his job. Getting out of the group at the World Cup, qualifying for the 2026 World Cup, winning Nations League. But he had never been able to make this team more than the sum of its parts and, arguably, one might say that it was often less than the sum of its parts. Watching the Euros, some of these teams punched way above their way and the thread they all had in common was the willingness to fight to the death for each other, for the coach and for their country. Saw that way too infrequently during the Berhalter tenure.

If the Klopp overtures were real (and I am not convinced they were), it would show that the US is willing to significanlty pay up for a coach. I just want a coach who can get this group to perform above its talent level , keep its collective head and fight for each other, for the coach and for their fans.

I truly hope Spain wins. They still have issues at the 9 but Williams and Lemine Yamal have give this team a dimension they have not had in a long time, if ever. They are so much fun to watch. The Spanish midfield with French quality wingers? Fugghedaboutit.

The Euros have been great. Just one great game after the other.

The Copa America is amateur hour by comparison. No goal line technology. VAR that seems like Pong compared to what is being used at the Euros. Absoutely abysmal reffing. Games have seemed more like rock fights than games. Like watching Ben Howland Pitt play Jamie Dixon Pitt in an intrasquad scrimmage. U-G-L-Y, and you ain't got no alibi. Hopefully, the final is a good game. Rooting for Messi (not Argentina although Nico Gonzalez plays for my club team, Fiorentina, so I root for him also).

Oh yeah and, after winning it all 3 years ago, Italy absolutely sucked. Still think the national team coach doesn't make a difference? We go from Mancini to Spalletti and from Champs to Chumps.

Last edited:
I would not be unhappy with Pochettino. His style would get the best out of these players. His Chelsea defense was shaky, but his best players were hurt a lot.

P.S. - Joachim Low - Had a winning percentage of 63% in nearly 200 games in charge of the German national team. 1st place and 3rd place in the World Cup, won Confederations Cup, has been out of coaching since being fired by Germany 3 years ago. This guy was Klinsmann's tactical brains. He would understand the project and have instant credibility. Germans also speak very good English, generally speaking.

Max Allegri would teach defense incredibly well. His 2nd stint at Juventus didn't go as well as the trophy-laden first time around, but he is a serial winner. He tends to use possession to control pace. Not as high-pressing as the German coaches, but not passive in possession, either. The Italians are known as the king of tactics. He is one of the best.

And here's another odd thought - what about David Moyes? He loosened up from such a defensive minded coach, and had a few good teams at West Ham, leading them to unprecedented success for that club. He's kind of like this generation's Roy Hodgson.
Not an Allegri fan. I think he is way too conservative. Just like Mourinho.

Any of the other three would work for me.

National team coaches certainly have an impact, though, with their tactics and team selection. You have to implement a style of play.
They also have a huge impact on the culture of the team, which I think is a huge factor in teams under- or over-achieving.

A national team coach can absolutely make a huge difference.

LOL...not sure it is deserved but appreciate the faith...

We were oversees for a couple weeks so missed the first two US games but saw the Uruguay game. Thought we played well. Perhaps if the team had played with that level of urgency more often, we might not be looking for a new coach.

I am not a fan of the MMA midfield unless we are playing an opponent who wants to give up and down with us and our athleticism can be used to our advantage. I am also not a fan of Reyna playing on the wing. I thought both worked in the first half against Uruguay. Uruguay wanted to get up and down just enough that MMA were effective. And Reyna was also effective but, to me, Balogun was the difference maker - dropping between the lines to pick up the ball and lay it off. I thought the turning point of the game was when Balogun had to go off. After that, we were effectively toothless in attack. And, instead of bringing Reyna inside to provide that linkage and a creator, he did nothing. We went out and he was fired. Deservedly so.

He had done just enough throughout his tenure to keep his job. Getting out of the group at the World Cup, qualifying for the 2026 World Cup, winning Nations League. But he had never been able to make this team more than the sum of its parts and, arguably, one might say that it was often less than the sum of its parts. Watching the Euros, some of these teams punched way above their way and the thread they all had in common was the willingness to fight to the death for each other, for the coach and for their country. Saw that way too infrequently during the Berhalter tenure.

If the Klopp overtures were real (and I am not convinced they were), it would show that the US is willing to significanlty pay up for a coach. I just want a coach who can get this group to perform above its talent level , keep its collective head and fight for each other, for the coach and for their fans.

I truly hope Spain wins. They still have issues at the 9 but Williams and Lemine Yamal have give this team a dimension they have not had in a long time, if ever. They are so much fun to watch. The Spanish midfield with French quality wingers? Fugghedaboutit.

The Euros have been great. Just one great game after the other.

The Copa America is amateur hour by comparison. No goal line technology. VAR that seems like Pong compared to what is being used at the Euros. Absoutely abysmal reffing. Games have seemed more like rock fights than games. Like watching Ben Howland Pitt play Jamie Dixon Pitt in an intrasquad scrimmage. U-G-L-Y, and you ain't got no alibi. Hopefully, the final is a good game. Rooting for Messi (not Argentina although Nico Gonzalez plays for my club team, Fiorentina, so I root for him also).

Oh yeah and, after winning it all 3 years ago, Italy absolutely sucked. Still think the national team coach doesn't make a difference? We go from Mancini to Spalletti and from Champs to Chumps.
Been waiting to read your takes on Euro 2024 & Copa America and you didn’t disappoint.

Agree with your summary of both tournaments. I’ve loved every minute of the Euros but it’s been difficult to watch the Copa by comparison.

Enjoyed watching Canada’s run and grateful the Triple G era is over.

Scamacca was a disappointing 9 for Italy. Generally speaking, I prefer a 9 with a higher work rate (more Bulldog) than he showed. Their defense was uncharacteristically bad and Donnarumma stood on his head.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see fbs Azurri go far in 2@26 despite their showing.

Been waiting to read your takes on Euro 2024 & Copa America and you didn’t disappoint.

Agree with your summary of both tournaments. I’ve loved every minute of the Euros but it’s been difficult to watch the Copa by comparison.

Enjoyed watching Canada’s run and grateful the Triple G era is over.

Scamacca was a disappointing 9 for Italy. Generally speaking, I prefer a 9 with a higher work rate (more Bulldog) than he showed. Their defense was uncharacteristically bad and Donnarumma stood on his head.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see fbs Azurri go far in 2@26 despite their showing.

The only game of the Copa that I've truly enjoyed so far was the Columbia v. Uruguay semifinal. Luis Diaz ran a million miles while Columbia was a man down for that crazy elbow to the chest by Munoz.

In the Euros, there have been 3 remarkable games, for me - Spain v. Germany in the quarters; England v. Netherlands (especially the first half); and Spain v. France. Spain has been the best team so far, and ought to be favored over England.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom