USMNT 2024 | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT 2024

The only game of the Copa that I've truly enjoyed so far was the Columbia v. Uruguay semifinal. Luis Diaz ran a million miles while Columbia was a man down for that crazy elbow to the chest by Munoz.

In the Euros, there have been 3 remarkable games, for me - Spain v. Germany in the quarters; England v. Netherlands (especially the first half); and Spain v. France. Spain has been the best team so far, and ought to be favored over England.
Yamal should get the #10 shirt at Barca. He's earned it.

To me, Columbia has looked like the best team in the world right now. Very few, if any, weaknesses and very fun to watch!

To me, Columbia has looked like the best team in the world right now. Very few, if any, weaknesses and very fun to watch!

They are going to miss that guy Munoz in midfield, though. He was their engine man / enforcer to break up play.

Canada can generate offense for sure. Uruguay all over trying to slow them down.. Of course Canada is also letting them generate a ton of offense as well.

Canada can generate offense for sure. Uruguay all over trying to slow them down.. Of course Canada is also letting them generate a ton of offense as well.

It was a very good game. Too bad they didn't shut it down for those last 3 or 4 minutes, after they took the 2-1 lead. The announcer (Stu Holden?) called it right before Suarez equalized.

the Euro game was pretty good watch.. First time England was awake for more than the last 5 min of a game.

copa game was fun as well once they let the 10K people without tickets into the building

Yeah, the rest of the world is noticing was a shtt show the Copa was. Terrible dress rehearsal for the World Cup.

Yeah, the rest of the world is noticing was a shtt show the Copa was. Terrible dress rehearsal for the World Cup.
The reports are that CONEMBOL deserves the brunt of blame. I would be partially true. I did read that FIFA is taking control of ticketing and venue operations. I expect minimal issues other than probably transit to/from venues.

imagine if every fball game thousands of non ticket holder crashed the gates and climbed walls to get in.

I guess one good thing about the dome its much harder to just scale walls and get in.

imagine if every fball game thousands of non ticket holder crashed the gates and climbed walls to get in.

I guess one good thing about the dome its much harder to just scale walls and get in.

Did you see how they absolutely destroyed an escalator?
People were climbing in through the air conditioning vents!
Animals!

Did you see how they absolutely destroyed an escalator?
People were climbing in through the air conditioning vents!
Animals!
Miami is horrifically run city in general. Failures at every level with CONEMBOL, Concacaf, USSF, and the city.

Scamacca was a disappointing 9 for Italy. Generally speaking, I prefer a 9 with a higher work rate (more Bulldog) than he showed. Their defense was uncharacteristically bad and Donnarumma stood on his head.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see fbs Azurri go far in 2@26 despite their showing.
Scamacca was definitely a disappointment. As was Spalletti. He did some great things with Napoli. he is clearly a really good coach but he also clearly did not know what to do with this team. Perhaps given time...

I wouldn't be surprised either. With the Azzurri, it can be feast, famine or anything in-between.

LOL...not sure it is deserved but appreciate the faith...

We were oversees for a couple weeks so missed the first two US games but saw the Uruguay game. Thought we played well. Perhaps if the team had played with that level of urgency more often, we might not be looking for a new coach.

I am not a fan of the MMA midfield unless we are playing an opponent who wants to give up and down with us and our athleticism can be used to our advantage. I am also not a fan of Reyna playing on the wing. I thought both worked in the first half against Uruguay. Uruguay wanted to get up and down just enough that MMA were effective. And Reyna was also effective but, to me, Balogun was the difference maker - dropping between the lines to pick up the ball and lay it off. I thought the turning point of the game was when Balogun had to go off. After that, we were effectively toothless in attack. And, instead of bringing Reyna inside to provide that linkage and a creator, he did nothing. We went out and he was fired. Deservedly so.

He had done just enough throughout his tenure to keep his job. Getting out of the group at the World Cup, qualifying for the 2026 World Cup, winning Nations League. But he had never been able to make this team more than the sum of its parts and, arguably, one might say that it was often less than the sum of its parts. Watching the Euros, some of these teams punched way above their way and the thread they all had in common was the willingness to fight to the death for each other, for the coach and for their country. Saw that way too infrequently during the Berhalter tenure.

If the Klopp overtures were real (and I am not convinced they were), it would show that the US is willing to significanlty pay up for a coach. I just want a coach who can get this group to perform above its talent level , keep its collective head and fight for each other, for the coach and for their fans.

I truly hope Spain wins. They still have issues at the 9 but Williams and Lemine Yamal have give this team a dimension they have not had in a long time, if ever. They are so much fun to watch. The Spanish midfield with French quality wingers? Fugghedaboutit.

The Euros have been great. Just one great game after the other.

The Copa America is amateur hour by comparison. No goal line technology. VAR that seems like Pong compared to what is being used at the Euros. Absoutely abysmal reffing. Games have seemed more like rock fights than games. Like watching Ben Howland Pitt play Jamie Dixon Pitt in an intrasquad scrimmage. U-G-L-Y, and you ain't got no alibi. Hopefully, the final is a good game. Rooting for Messi (not Argentina although Nico Gonzalez plays for my club team, Fiorentina, so I root for him also).

Oh yeah and, after winning it all 3 years ago, Italy absolutely sucked. Still think the national team coach doesn't make a difference? We go from Mancini to Spalletti and from Champs to Chumps.
Well, ok, then what would you have done against Uruguay?

For the second half, I would have switched to a 3-5-2. I would have moved Robinson and McKennie to wingback (he played that role for Juve all year), slide Reyna into the 10, moved Pulisic up top with Pepi.

Maybe we get our doors blown off on counter attacks but I think we could have played for a year and a half and not scored with that line-up and formation, especially after Uruguay went up 1-0 and was content to sit in and defend.

Whether we lose 3-0 or 1-0? Who cares?

I think the main thing was for the longest time a tie would have gotten us thru to the next rd and down a man thats probably the result you have to hope you can get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom