USMNT 2024 | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT 2024

How were we allowed a 4th change? Is this competition different?

Bottomline just don't give up 2 goals over 70 mins against a bad Panama team and we are through. No excuses.

CONCACAF IMO is the 4th best confederation. We will never get better playing weak teams all the time.

That being said outside of Pulisic this squad is worse than any I can remember. No defenders at all, made worse by the manager's tactics. No one who can score a goal. Overrated midfielders. Musah seemed so promising a few years ago and he looks awful now. And we used to have multiple quality goalies, now we have none.

To make matters worse there is no way I see them making a move away from Berhalter.

Our last dozen matches we have 5Ws, 1D, 6Ls. And 11 of those 12 were played on US soil. The last 9 we have 3Ws, 1D, 5Ls.

How is that acceptable?

Also how many games have we played outside of the US combined in 2023 and 2024? Two? With one being powerhouse Grenada. Inflating out FIFA ranking isn't going to make us better.

I feel like Berhalter wants to win the expected goals World Cup. That isn't reality. Get off the computer during matches.

I feel like Berhalter wants to win the expected goals World Cup. That isn't reality. Get off the computer during matches.
Except you can’t win the expected goals World Cup if you get no shots on goals. I think yesterday there was maybe one shot on goal in a must win match.

A lot of this debacle is on the players… I think the team selection is generally okay. But Berhalter ball asks too much from the back four and goalie on offense and the ones who played last night are not good enough for that against a good team. This is also why team like Panama beat us… we make at least one or two mistakes in bad places leading to easy break outs for the other team.

Need new coach and new thinking… we need to be much more direct and probably much more conservative.

Going back to his time in Sweden, he got fired because his teams never scored goals. He's a bad manager. Even in MLS he's good not great. USSF hired a lackey to be in charge.

Except you can’t win the expected goals World Cup if you get no shots on goals. I think yesterday there was maybe one shot on goal in a must win match.

A lot of this debacle is on the players… I think the team selection is generally okay. But Berhalter ball asks too much from the back four and goalie on offense and the ones who played last night are not good enough for that against a good team. This is also why team like Panama beat us… we make at least one or two mistakes in bad places leading to easy break outs for the other team.

Need new coach and new thinking… we need to be much more direct and probably much more conservative.

He talks about expected goals all the time, even last night. But I agree with you.

Our team used to play with a chip on its shoulder. We lacked talent but we worked harder, were more physical, and were more fit that anyone out there. We played like these lower UEFA teams we have seen in the Euro. Now we play like we are Brazil, and have spoiled players who think they are better than they are. It will never work. We need to go back to being a gritty team that is well organized on the pitch. That will not happen with Berhalter given his tactics and wanting to be every player's friend.

Looking ahead to the 2026 team, where are we better vs the 2014 team? There are some 2nd teamers on that squad who would start IMO. Pulisic is a great players but the rest are overrated. I do think they way they are used by Berhalter does not help. But that is only part of the problem.

I think there's probably a good chance we're advancing if Weah just doesn't punch a player in the back of the head against Panama. Advancing here doesn't mean we don't have issues though. I tend to agree with Otto; I think our players are generally overrated. We simply don't have enough guys that can score goals or stop the other team from scoring goals. I'm totally fine with moving on from Berhalter, but I think we'll likely find that an upgrade in manager just exposes the fact that the team isn't talented enough. We've been bad against top 10 teams, solid against the 11th-20th best teams, and rack up wins against teams below that; that feels pretty much exactly where we are talent-wise to me.

I know it's unrealistic but USA should be following the best practices of Europe. Meaning promotion/relegation, solidarity payments for youth talent, etc.

Many will disagree but I see plenty of american investors going to Europe for clubs of all sizes because you can merit your way up and down the pyramid.

I think there's probably a good chance we're advancing if Weah just doesn't punch a player in the back of the head against Panama. Advancing here doesn't mean we don't have issues though. I tend to agree with Otto; I think our players are generally overrated. We simply don't have enough guys that can score goals or stop the other team from scoring goals. I'm totally fine with moving on from Berhalter, but I think we'll likely find that an upgrade in manager just exposes the fact that the team isn't talented enough. We've been bad against top 10 teams, solid against the 11th-20th best teams, and rack up wins against teams below that; that feels pretty much exactly where we are talent-wise to me.

I think we have ample talent honestly. If you look at the rest of the world we have the horses. We don’t have the leadership to bring it together and that is both on the sidelines and on the field that is lacking . Turner is not a leader in goal and with all the talent in the midfield and on the wings there is no leadership showing up there either. I think a better manager can hopefully help to build that within the team too. When effort is flailing accountability can’t be in hindsight- it needs to be real time.

I am not even sure what formation works best for the players on this team.

Balogun and Pepi are still young but I don't see either being able to succeed playing in a 433. IMO they will need either a 2nd striker, center forward, or #10 playing alongside.

Weah is not a forward so where do you play him?

Where does Gio fit? IMO he isn't a mid in a 433. Nor is he a forward. He has talent but seems positionless. Maybe a 4231 but then where do you play McKennie? He has no position in that formation.

Ream is already old. Richards isn't very good. Carter Vickers even worse. I think this is the least talented unit so they need help. Ideally you have your best 11 on the pitch but maybe playing a 3 man backline will hide the lack of talent better? Then you can play Ream still and maybe even Scally.

I think our fullbacks are the only position of strength.

Pulisic and Adams IMO are hands down our best players. They can play anywhere. The question is who and where are the other 8 guys playing?

I am not even sure what formation works best for the players on this team.

Balogun and Pepi are still young but I don't see either being able to succeed playing in a 433. IMO they will need either a 2nd striker, center forward, or #10 playing alongside.

Weah is not a forward so where do you play him?

Where does Gio fit? IMO he isn't a mid in a 433. Nor is he a forward. He has talent but seems positionless. Maybe a 4231 but then where do you play McKennie? He has no position in that formation.

Ream is already old. Richards isn't very good. Carter Vickers even worse. I think this is the least talented unit so they need help. Ideally you have your best 11 on the pitch but maybe playing a 3 man backline will hide the lack of talent better? Then you can play Ream still and maybe even Scally.

I think our fullbacks are the only position of strength.

Pulisic and Adams IMO are hands down our best players. They can play anywhere. The question is who and where are the other 8 guys playing?

We can’t constantly play out of the back with the challenges on defense and poor leadership from Turner. We need a healthy Dest.

Part of why it’s so hard to nail down the best formation is because Berhalter has done such a poor job with his tactics and leadership. I concur in terms of not being very certain how we should line up.

To me, given the make up of the team - we should be running a 4-4-1-1 with a coach who knows how to use it. You can re organize as needed and play with more spacing or tighten things up given we have the talent with both attacking and defensive midfielders. The lack of discipline provides for more issues to me than the talent.

Greg lacks the coaching chops to play a more versatile formation and it’s been the writing on the wall with how poor he has been with game planning and adjustments.

I think we have ample talent honestly. If you look at the rest of the world we have the horses. We don’t have the leadership to bring it together and that is both on the sidelines and on the field that is lacking . Turner is not a leader in goal and with all the talent in the midfield and on the wings there is no leadership showing up there either. I think a better manager can hopefully help to build that within the team too. When effort is flailing accountability can’t be in hindsight- it needs to be real time.
I waffle between whether the program has sufficient talent because I don't like their lack of composure on the pitch.

At times they play listless and seem disengaged and then they run hot with heavy touches/fouls and explode at the ref or opponent. Adams is usually the only level-headed calming influence; he's the heart and soul of the team. Pulisic is too much of a hot head for how important he is to this team.

I would like to see the USMNT have a more polished, mature approach on the field rather than pull the same antics other CONCACAF and CONMEBOL countries use.

Uruguay put on a masterclass of physical play, professionally fouling to break up tempo, and attacking with speed. I would love if USMNT played like that (minus most of the flopping).

I waffle between whether the program has sufficient talent because I don't like their lack of composure on the pitch.

At times they play listless and seem disengaged and then they run hot with heavy touches/fouls and explode at the ref or opponent. Adams is usually the only level-headed calming influence; he's the heart and soul of the team. Pulisic is too much of a hot head for how important he is to this team.

I would like to see the USMNT have a more polished, mature approach on the field rather than pull the same antics other CONCACAF and CONMEBOL countries use.

Uruguay put on a masterclass of physical play, professionally fouling to break up tempo, and attacking with speed. I would love if USMNT played like that (minus most of the flopping).

You need a coach that demands respect both in personality and acumen with this group not a guy they enjoy playing for. To me this is why you need to bring in someone from overseas. If that doesn’t do the trick then we simply have too many mavericks on the team but I think it’s the fact for the first time ever we have high paid international level talent all over the pitch but that comes with big egos. You have to have something to counter that in your manager and Greg ain’t it.

You need a coach that demands respect both in personality and acumen with this group not a guy they enjoy playing for. To me this is why you need to bring in someone from overseas. If that doesn’t do the trick then we simply have too many mavericks on the team but I think it’s the fact for the first time ever we have high paid international level talent all over the pitch but that comes with big egos. You have to have something to counter that in your manager and Greg ain’t it.
I agree that the dynamic between Berhalter and the players is missing something.

There's something to be said for a coach who can walk the line developing young talent while remaining firm with accountability. I think Berhalter has probably coddled the players too frequently when a few of them need a boot in the arse.

I like that much of the media is calling out the players in addition to calling for Berhalter's scalp.

We can’t constantly play out of the back with the challenges on defense and poor leadership from Turner. We need a healthy Dest.

Part of why it’s so hard to nail down the best formation is because Berhalter has done such a poor job with his tactics and leadership. I concur in terms of not being very certain how we should line up.

To me, given the make up of the team - we should be running a 4-4-1-1 with a coach who knows how to use it. You can re organize as needed and play with more spacing or tighten things up given we have the talent with both attacking and defensive midfielders. The lack of discipline provides for more issues to me than the talent.

Greg lacks the coaching chops to play a more versatile formation and it’s been the writing on the wall with how poor he has been with game planning and adjustments.
I was thinking the same, 4411 might be the best overall. But where does Gio go? Super sub?

Our defense scares me no matter what.

I was thinking the same, 4411 might be the best overall. But where does Gio go? Super sub?

Our defense scares me no matter what.

Super sub or a 55-60 minute pitch count guy.

I know it's unrealistic but USA should be following the best practices of Europe. Meaning promotion/relegation, solidarity payments for youth talent, etc.

Many will disagree but I see plenty of american investors going to Europe for clubs of all sizes because you can merit your way up and down the pyramid.
Except every starter in this tournament plays in a league with promotion/relegation. Not disagreeing or agreeing w/ your statement, but not sure how it's relevant to performance in this tournament.

Except every starter in this tournament plays in a league with promotion/relegation. Not disagreeing or agreeing w/ your statement, but not sure how it's relevant to performance in this tournament.
I'm talking about the overall program and how to develop more and better players. I don't know that the team in 2024 has that much better individual players vs 2010/2014 etc. Cherundolo, Bradley, Dempsey, Jozy, Gooch, Howard etc all have had Euro careers similar to current crop. Only Pulisic is the big outlier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom