USMNT - Greg Berhalter Takes Over | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT - Greg Berhalter Takes Over

Just promote Tab Ramos interim and do a deep search in Europe

Ramos was supposedly derailed by Jay Berhalter to be interim coach. Apparently he thought he could be very successful and disrupt the plans to hire Greg.

I personally think Ramos is a trash coach, and always has been, but the rumor is funny (and sad?) nonetheless.

Ramos was supposedly derailed by Jay Berhalter to be interim coach. Apparently he thought he could be very successful and disrupt the plans to hire Greg.

I personally think Ramos is a trash coach, and always has been, but the rumor is funny (and sad?) nonetheless.

I think Ramos is very solid, especially as a national team manager. His results with the U20's speak powerfully IMO. His only negative to me is picking his favorites (but every manager has that issue)

I think Ramos is very solid, especially as a national team manager. His results with the U20's speak powerfully IMO. His only negative to me is picking his favorites (but every manager has that issue)

Besides taking advantage of 3 straight very fortunate draws (partially caused by lopsided fields due to the screwy U-20 qualification process) and having 1 win over France, I actually think he's performed poorly when he didn't have an obvious on-field talent advantage.

Gotta be honest though -- I really only follow the world cups for the youth teams. There's only so much soccer one can watch.

And yeah, maybe calling him 'trash' was too harsh by me.

Besides taking advantage of 3 straight very fortunate draws (partially caused by lopsided fields due to the screwy U-20 qualification process) and having 1 win over France, I actually think he's performed poorly when he didn't have an obvious on-field talent advantage.

Gotta be honest though -- I really only follow the world cups for the youth teams. There's only so much soccer one can watch.

And yeah, maybe calling him 'trash' was too harsh by me.

Perhaps weak opp is a factor but he plays a nice progressive 4-3-3. Good possession based system. He runs we all think GGG is probably talking about.

Arsenal? No. Not even close. USA is like one of those crap mid-table teams that manages to qualify for Europa League every five years.

Strange thing about the tweet is that Arsenal finished strong a few times in Wenger's final seasons to make CL or finish above Tottenham, almost like they were imposing their will to finish where they needed to. The opposite of us.

Realistically though, Arsenal always seemed to have 4/5/6th place talent, but usually outperformed that. Only their fans expected trophies every year.

I take it with the fact no real disgust has come out of the USSF. There isn't going to be any change at manager.

If we can't beat Canada in a real match on the road. Winning in Panama, Honduras, El Savador, Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago, Mexico is unlikely in WCQ.

My dream hierarchy for USSF: (sure to cause debate here)
President: Eric Wynalda
Sporting Director: Jürgen Klinsmann
Chief Scout: Hugo Perez
Youth National Teams Director: Tab Ramos
Something cause he's worth it: Just retired Damarcus Beasley.

EDIT:U17 Coach Raphael Wicky is doing some fantastic work with that group and should be considered here.

I'm shocked this is on this site, but since it is... the coaching hire is horrendous, the players aren't good enough, and it'll be a struggle to qualify because of all of the above

I'm shocked this is on this site, but since it is... the coaching hire is horrendous, the players aren't good enough, and it'll be a struggle to qualify because of all of the above

100% Facts.

Our talent shouldn’t be an issue to qualify for the WC.
Mexico has superior talent.
Costa Rica is on par with us.
The rest of the region is inferior.
CONCACAF is the A-10 basketball league of soccer.

UEFA is old Big East.
CONMEBOL is the Big Ten.
Brazil is Ohio State
Argentina is Michigan.

We should qualify pretty easy for the WC from this region.
I just have no confidence this manager will put the pieces together to make it easy.

Our talent shouldn’t be an issue to qualify for the WC.
Mexico has superior talent.
Costa Rica is on par with us.
The rest of the region is inferior.
CONCACAF is the A-10 basketball league of soccer.

UEFA is old Big East.
CONMEBOL is the Big Ten.
Brazil is Ohio State
Argentina is Michigan.

We should qualify pretty easy for the WC from this region.
I just have no confidence this manager will put the pieces together to make it easy.
So.. this rest of the region is inferior... Canada just smoked us...

So.. this rest of the region is inferior... Canada just smoked us...
That is why I want the manager gone.
At worst we should draw at Canada.
Our roster isn’t gelling. We should have lost the Canada match 4-0 but Stefffon made a couple saves off lazy giveaways.

I was done with this manager when Venezuela humiliated us at home before the Gold Cup 3-0.

This manager’s system doesn’t fit our talent and the play has been lifeless against quality competition.

I don't think GGG has a system. Or whatever he think is his system only works against MLS teams? Also let's not forget the Columbus Crew were fairly average. I can't believe they laughed Tata Martino out of the room because of his lack of English.

Totally horrific from all parties.

Atlanta United survived and now will advance. They definitely missed Miles Robinson (hamstring injury) no thanks for Berhalter and his post-match intense fitness training at a 11 p.m. in a cold D.C (what has been reported). There is no need for him and US soccer to be working on fitness. These players are match fit now. Not to mention ATL UTD requested his workload to be limited.

Thankfully Parkhurst started in his place and helped anchor the backline. But he was hurt with 90 seconds left in extra time and could not return. Frank has already said that Mile's injury may keep him out into the 2nd or 3 round if they advance.

Moral of this story in addition to the "managing" debacle Berhalter has been for US Soccer (no surprise)... he has to go.

Last edited:
Atlanta United survived and now will advance. They definitely missed Miles Robinson (hamstring injury) no thanks for Berhalter and his post-match intense fitness training at a 11 p.m. in a cold D.C (what has been reported). There is no need for him and US soccer to be working on fitness. These players are match fit now. Not to mention ATL UTD requested his workload to be limited.

Thankfully Parkhurst started in his place and helped anchor the backline. But he was hurt with 90 seconds left in extra time and could not return. Frank has already said that Mile's injury may keep him out into the 2nd or 3 round if they advance.

Moral of this story in addition to the "managing" debacle Berhalter has been for US Soccer (no surprise)... he has to go.

Robinson got hurt training after a match he didn't play in? At the end of the MLS season? That's malpractice my friend. De Boer is gonna have words next time they see each other.

Robinson got hurt training after a match he didn't play in? At the end of the MLS season? That's malpractice my friend. De Boer is gonna have words next time they see each other.
Yes and yes.

"Miles Robinson suffered a pulled hamstring with the USMNT Friday, and it will be "touch and go" on if or when he can play in the playoffs. He goes on international duty, and 11 o'clock at night after a game where he sat on the bench, they're doing a hard training session and he's doing sprints and he pulls his hamstring. Just really disappointed that he was put in that position. It frustrates the heck out of us and I feel sorry for Miles because he's had a wonderful season, and now, with the biggest game for him in his career with Atlanta United, it's going to be touch and go whether he's able to play and when he's back in the playoffs."

GGG needs to get slapped right across his pathetic face. How embarrassing to do that to a player.

The players "aren't good enough" is 100% false.

You've got one of the best shot stoppers in the Bundesliga, with 2 or 3 backups that are nearly as good.

You have a right back who was rated by most publications between 8-12 best right back in the EPL last season.

You have a potential midfield pairing of two starting Champions League midfielders.

You have a centerback pairing that can rotate in a UCL-level Bundesliga team CB and a bunch of guys who are boarderline EPL/ECL players.

Add on top of that one of the most expensive young player transfers in the last few years.

We lost to a bunch of MLS non-factors and CPL players. Plus a Bayern youth player.

It's not a talent issue. We have lots of talent compared to the rest of CONCACAF. I expected our talent to be better at this point than it is, but that's not the reason we lost to Canada. We are easily the second most talented team in our region. By a LOOOONG shot.

My boy GGG, who I LOOOOVED as a MLS coach, is gutting our identity. He has created a system with zero shape, that is weak to a counter, and has decided backline's M.O. should be to constantly gamble.

But the MLS playoffs are unbelievably entertaining though -- so I got that going for me.

The players "aren't good enough" is 100% false.

You've got one of the best shot stoppers in the Bundesliga, with 2 or 3 backups that are nearly as good.

You have a right back who was rated by most publications between 8-12 best right back in the EPL last season.

You have a potential midfield pairing of two starting Champions League midfielders.

You have a centerback pairing that can rotate in a UCL-level Bundesliga team CB and a bunch of guys who are boarderline EPL/ECL players.

Add on top of that one of the most expensive young player transfers in the last few years.

We lost to a bunch of MLS non-factors and CPL players. Plus a Bayern youth player.

It's not a talent issue. We have lots of talent compared to the rest of CONCACAF. I expected our talent to be better at this point than it is, but that's not the reason we lost to Canada. We are easily the second most talented team in our region. By a LOOOONG shot.

My boy GGG, who I LOOOOVED as a MLS coach, is gutting our identity. He has created a system with zero shape, that is weak to a counter, and has decided backline's M.O. should be to constantly gamble.

But the MLS playoffs are unbelievably entertaining though -- so I got that going for me.
I'm not saying the players aren't good enough to beat Canada... I'm saying our players are generally poor... my measuring stick is more so Mexico, and they are far superior at the moment

I'm not saying the players aren't good enough to beat Canada... I'm saying our players are generally poor... my measuring stick is more so Mexico, and they are far superior at the moment

Honestly, Mexico has always been far superior talentwise to us. We just had a 12 year period where we could consistently frustrate the hell out of them with twin deep lying d-mids and a surprisingly good counter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom