USMNT - Greg Berhalter Takes Over | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT - Greg Berhalter Takes Over

Interesting take. You watch a lot more MLS than I do.

However, I do think an MLS All-Star team could certainly compete in Serie A. They are not beating Juve or Inter but when you start to get down into relegation territory (SPAL, Lecce, Brescia - teams that traditionally have a talent level that bounces back and forth between Serie A and Serie B), I think an MLS All-star team could consistently beat those teams. I don't think an MLS All-Star team that plays a full season in Serie A ends up being relegated to Serie B,

I think it’s really hard to compare, so when I think about it, I essentially benchmark current players now against players who have recently moved overseas.

There’s too much soccer to watch to be an expert on all of the Serie A, B, MLS, the Championship, etc. so I think the best way to do a comparison is to take a guy like Aaron Long. He’s a really solid MLS defender. But when you compare him to what Matt Miazga or Tim Ream (or heck, even Ike Opara and Chad Marshall in his prime) was in MLS, he’s clearly a step below and none of those guys ever became consistent players for a team that could stay in the top flight — and that’s the defender most “ready” to make a jump to Europe. (And let’s be honest, that jump probably meant going to be the fourth choice CB at WHU)

But like I said, your front four or five could probably do it, someone like Ring or Gregus could not look out of place in a DM or box to box role, (though both never established themselves in the Bundesliga or at Copenhagen)

Then the defense would be likely a big step below our guys who are playing or trying to get playing time in the Championship.

I couldn’t see that team be competitive in any top flight Euro league (but again, I’m not gonna pretend I’m an expert on lower Serie A or Lihue 1 teams, I’m just assuming the bottom of the league is comparable to Championship teams where we have some guys trying to get minutes abroad).

Just my current opinion.

Not to derail the thread but...

Has anybody else watched the Maradona documentary on HBO?

I watched most of it last night and thoroughly enjoyed the insight into his 80s club career (from Boca, to Barca and then Napoli).

Some should watch it just to see how violent Serie A was in the 80s - it was Big East hoops during the 6 foul era brutal.

La Liga was no cakewalk either as Maradona endured one of the most gruesome tackles (from behind) you could possibly imagine.

I think overall the issue is MLS quality and the place of americans in it. Right now an MLS All-Star team really doesn't have a lot of USMNT eligible guys. Especially when it comes to attacking spots.

I think overall the issue is MLS quality and the place of americans in it. Right now an MLS All-Star team really doesn't have a lot of USMNT eligible guys. Especially when it comes to attacking spots.

I gotta be honest, I’m not sure it’s a huge issue. Ten years ago there was more American attacking talent in MLS than there is Now, but it’s primarily because most MLS academy players and USSDA players are oversees rather than staying home. It used to be that you’d get a few really good years of Dempsey or Jozy or (for many years) Donovan domestically. Now guys like Sarge and Puli and Weah are jumping to big leagues at first opportunity and not occupying those “all-star” spots for a few years.

Not to derail the thread but...

Has anybody else watched the Maradona documentary on HBO?

I watched most of it last night and thoroughly enjoyed the insight into his 80s club career (from Boca, to Barca and then Napoli).

Some should watch it just to see how violent Serie A was in the 80s - it was Big East hoops during the 6 foul era brutal.

La Liga was no cakewalk either as Maradona endured one of the most gruesome tackles (from behind) you could possibly imagine.
The game was officiated completely differently back in the 80s in ALL the leagues, not just Serie A and la Liga.

You want real brutality? Watch the 1982 World Cup elimination match between Italy and Argentina. Count the yellows and straight reds that would be given today versus what was given in that first half (hint: zero). In fact, the only yellows shown in the first half of that game were for dissent when players would complain about teammates getting absolutely obliterated.

Better yet, watch the France-Germany 1982 World Cup semifinal when Schumacher knocks Battiston unconscious - and doesn't even get a foul whistled against him.

Maradona was so beloved in Naples that, during the 1990 World Cup semifinal between Argentina and Italy in Naples, there were definitely divided loyalties in the stadium...

He was an unbelievable talent: single-handedly willing Argentina to World Cup glory in 1986 with, possibly, the greatest World Cup goal of all-time against England: a mazy run through the entire English defense (same game as the "Hand of God" goal)...

The game was officiated completely differently back in the 80s in ALL the leagues, not just Serie A and la Liga.

You want real brutality? Watch the 1982 World Cup elimination match between Italy and Argentina. Count the yellows and straight reds that would be given today versus what was given in that first half (hint: zero). In fact, the only yellows shown in the first half of that game were for dissent when players would complain about teammates getting absolutely obliterated.

Better yet, watch the France-Germany 1982 World Cup semifinal when Schumacher knocks Battiston unconscious - and doesn't even get a foul whistled against him.

Maradona was so beloved in Naples that, during the 1990 World Cup semifinal between Argentina and Italy in Naples, there were definitely divided loyalties in the stadium...

He was an unbelievable talent: single-handedly willing Argentina to World Cup glory in 1986 with, possibly, the greatest World Cup goal of all-time against England: a mazy run through the entire English defense (same game as the "Hand of God" goal)...

Yes, I know the rules have changed quite a bit to eliminate much of the brutally physical play from the 80s.

Argentina vs Italy in 1990 is a great part of the documentary - filmmakers spend time showing Napoli's divided loyalty and the blowback for Maradona afterward.

They also chronicle the rise of a southern franchise (Napoli) in Serie A dominated by the northern giants (Juventus, Milan, Inter). You're probably already familiar with much of the disdain northern Italians had (still have?) for their southern compatriots.

Given the lack of soccer coverage (and tv broadcast) in the 80s, it was very interesting to catch a glimpse through one of the all time greatest players.

His "Goal of the Century" is the most ridiculous WC goal considering how quickly he moved to avoid contact while retaining possession.

I gotta be honest, I’m not sure it’s a huge issue. Ten years ago there was more American attacking talent in MLS than there is Now, but it’s primarily because most MLS academy players and USSDA players are oversees rather than staying home. It used to be that you’d get a few really good years of Dempsey or Jozy or (for many years) Donovan domestically. Now guys like Sarge and Puli and Weah are jumping to big leagues at first opportunity and not occupying those “all-star” spots for a few years.

I guess i'm coming from the perspective that to really improve the team young players should be coming through MLS academies, showing out, and moving before age 23-24 to europe for a nice fee. Much like what you see in brazil, argentina, even mexico etc.

Yes, I know the rules have changed quite a bit to eliminate much of the brutally physical play from the 80s.

Argentina vs Italy in 1990 is a great part of the documentary - filmmakers spend time showing Napoli's divided loyalty and the blowback for Maradona afterward.

They also chronicle the rise of a southern franchise (Napoli) in Serie A dominated by the northern giants (Juventus, Milan, Inter). You're probably already familiar with much of the disdain northern Italians had (still have?) for their southern compatriots.

Given the lack of soccer coverage (and tv broadcast) in the 80s, it was very interesting to catch a glimpse through one of the all time greatest players.

His "Goal of the Century" is the most ridiculous WC goal considering how quickly he moved to avoid contact while retaining possession.
Napoli was the first franchise south of Rome to win the Scudetto.

Much of that disdain is economic as the north is industrialized while the south is agrarian and much poorer, but yes, North still looks down on South.

Also - 2 years since we failed to qualify -- anyone willing to throw out their best 11 (how you would line them up, not how Berhalter would)?

I've been thinking about this for a few minutes -- I'd know my shape, can't figure out the personnel (so, maybe I don't really know the shape?).

Steffen
Dest - Miazaga - Brooks - Antonee Robinson
-------------Adams--McKennie-----------
Pulisic------Duane Holmes------Weah
-----------------Sargent---------------

-------Sargent------Weah
----Pulisic-------------McKennie
-------------Adams
-Dest---------------------Yedlin
---Miazga--Brooks--Ream
-------------Steffen

I enjoy watching a team with an aggressive 3-5-2. Especially with some athletes as wingbacks like we could put out there. I also think we are strong enough on the ball and athletic enough across the back three to hold our own. Brooks' distribution also helps somewhat fit into Berhalter's style because he could act almost as the second pivot he like to employ. I think Adams ahead of him is an underrated distributor.

I think we'd be really exposed on our left flank -- it kinda makes me wish Yedlin could slide left, Cannon could slot right, and Dest could be an offensive spark off the bench. I wish I saw more of Miazga. So much potential at 20 -- I'm not really sure where his career has gone the last two year, to be honest. I know it's not where I thought he would end up. I was almost 100% sure he'd end up on a mid-table EPL team like WHU. Wrong.

Sad thing is, no matter how you line them up, I don't think we are noticeably better than we were last cycle. Talentwise, we may be a small step up, but cohesively I'm not impressed with this group. Let's hope something clicks.

-------Sargent------Weah
-------------Adams
---Miazga--Brooks--Ream
-------------Steffen

I enjoy watching a team with an aggressive 3-5-2. Especially with some athletes as wingbacks like we could put out there. I also think we are strong enough on the ball and athletic enough across the back three to hold our own. Brooks' distribution also helps somewhat fit into Berhalter's style because he could act almost as the second pivot he like to employ. I think Adams ahead of him is an underrated distributor.

I think we'd be really exposed on our left flank -- it kinda makes me wish Yedlin could slide left, Cannon could slot right, and Dest could be an offensive spark off the bench. I wish I saw more of Miazga. So much potential at 20 -- I'm not really sure where his career has gone the last two year, to be honest. I know it's not where I thought he would end up. I was almost 100% sure he'd end up on a mid-table EPL team like WHU. Wrong.

Sad thing is, no matter how you line them up, I don't think we are noticeably better than we were last cycle. Talentwise, we may be a small step up, but cohesively I'm not impressed with this group. Let's hope something clicks.
You should get ESPN+ and watch Serie A. Lots of 3-5-2 in Italy.

-------Sargent------Weah
-------------Adams
---Miazga--Brooks--Ream
-------------Steffen

I'd like to see Antonee Robinson get called in again. Started every game at LB for Wigan. Has the pace and ability to move forward. But we get Daniel Lovitz. Oh well

Nice start. Morris to McKennie ×2 in first 5 minutes.

Morris adds one at 8th minute. 3-0.

McKennie set a new record 13th minute for fastest hattrick from the start of the match.

I just turned it on. What what what what what what the heck is going on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom