USMNT - Greg Berhalter Takes Over | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT - Greg Berhalter Takes Over

Can you imagine how long it would take to find a replacement this time?
Our federation is a joke. They have so much money and operate like a mid major.
We hired an MLS coach. Its just not the right manager. Pay the money and hire a European coach who can develop a defensive system.

We need a Brad Stevens of soccer type manager.
I am just sick of Zardes being the striker for the national team. He isn’t that good.

BERHALTER(S) OUT. CORDEIRO OUT. USSF WHOLESALE CHANGE.

I'm tuning out for the next 12 months barring some major changes. Will only watch the Youth Teams because frankly they play better soccer.

Just promote Tab Ramos interim and do a deep search in Europe

No energy, no zest, no crispness

Complete low point

I was not quite 2 last time Canada beat the US

As the announcers stated. Worst performance in memory by a US squad. Worse than two years ago.

Such a joke.
If this guy remains manager I don’t think we will qualify for the 2022 WC.
I really don’t.

I only watched the last 30 minutes, but what stood out to me was how easily simple passes were taken away from us in midfield.

Once Canada dropped 11 men deep behind the ball and we tried to push Bradley farther up the field all it took was one of the Canadian forwards to drop back and take away any entry passes to Bradley to disrupt our entire flow.

After that we defaulted to over-the-top, 35 yard diagonals, or corner sprints to try to generate something. It was really wild -- I don't know if I've ever seen a team show to the ball less than we did in those last 30 minutes. No idea what we were supposed to be doing offensively -- we need some better go-tos besides whip a 25 yard cross into the box.

The USMNT has almost no talent and absolutely had no energy tonight.
That is just terrible.
If the federation doesn’t tear it down now we are in trouble. Canada actually has developed some decent players.
We have McKenize and Pulisic.

The USMNT has almost no talent and absolutely had no energy tonight.
That is just terrible.
If the federation doesn’t tear it down now we are in trouble. Canada actually has developed some decent players.
We have McKenize and Pulisic.
Pulisic looks defeated out there.

Not sure this move to EPL is helping him out

If Berhalter remains it’s clear the US Soccer federation just doesn’t care.

I won’t sugarcoat it I hated the hire from day 1. Klinsmann wasn’t a good coach but he knew the status quo wasn’t good enough for the USMNT to get better. Berhalter was more Unproven than Bob Bradley.

if you can’t beat Canada then your not making the WC. We’ve improved but overall the talent outside Davies (and a few others) isn’t there.

36 year winless streak broken. Interesting. Still don’t think we will even come near qualifying in 22.

To be fair, he was being interviewed on FS1 immediately before they cut the broadcast to the players in front of the crowd.
Okay well that changes the narrative then. He obviously can’t be in both places at once.

Waiting for WCQ to fire Berhalter puts qualitying for the World Cup in Jeopardy.
This guy is not an intentional level manager. The Canadians looked like they had a system. The USA players looked like they were stuck in mud and had no plan.
Pulisic was pissed when Berhalter pulled him 60 minutes in.
What the heck is he thinking taking him off unless he was injured.
I don’t care if he doesn’t play a lot for Chelsea, Pulisic is the best talent on this roster by miles.

Can we please just pay for a real manager. Hire Bob Bradley in the interim. Atleast that guy managed another country did okay, managed in Europe as well.

I only watched the last 30 minutes, but what stood out to me was how easily simple passes were taken away from us in midfield.

Once Canada dropped 11 men deep behind the ball and we tried to push Bradley farther up the field all it took was one of the Canadian forwards to drop back and take away any entry passes to Bradley to disrupt our entire flow.

After that we defaulted to over-the-top, 35 yard diagonals, or corner sprints to try to generate something. It was really wild -- I don't know if I've ever seen a team show to the ball less than we did in those last 30 minutes. No idea what we were supposed to be doing offensively -- we need some better go-tos besides whip a 25 yard cross into the box.
I watched the entire sordid affair.

Roldan with a horrific giveaway to tee Canada up at the top of the 18...should have been 1-0.

Bradley with the giveaway right outside our defensive 3rd on a bad touch of a simple pass. Then Canada gives it away just for Ream to give it right back.

Yedlin knew he had to track back to get goal side of Davies before the cross but couldn't be bothered to sprint back. 1-0.

Could have been 2-0 off of a simple flick on of a long ball. Absolutely no excuse for that.

Second came off of another long ball and a simple pass and Steffan gets beat near post. 2-0.

If Canada could finish, this was a 4-0 ball game...

There was nothing complicated about Canada. Their goals and missed chances all came off of either really bad giveaways or simple, basic offensive maneuvers. High school-level basic breakdowns and defensive mistakes.

You have one player on the entire roster who can conjure up a moment of magic out of nothing and he is your first sub out? For Arriola? Really?

And why is Sargent playing even with the 6 on D? Every time we won possession it was Pulisic with the ball 1 v 4 or 1 v 5 with Sargent at the top of our 18...he is supposed to be your outlet to relieve pressure...

It looked like bad club soccer. Pulisic receives the ball with no support and turns to go 1 v 4... That never ends well. And it didn't as he turned the ball over time after time as 3 or 4 Canadian players converged on him while everyone else was still in our defensive 3rd.

Once upon a time, we were not very good but played really hard...now we are not very good and just go through the motions...

This team has no pride, no fight, no energy, no leadership...

We aren’t hiring Jose Mourhino.
I am not saying hire Guus Hiddink.

Hell at this point I would rather give Jill Ellis a crack at the job over Greg Berhalter.

Just find a manager who select a better roster.

The USSF sees the sport as a vehicle to make commercial dollars, that is it. until the federation is taken over by true reformers and sport experts, this is the current reality. not much will change.

We aren’t hiring Jose Mourhino.
I am not saying hire Guus Hiddink.

Hell at this point I would rather give Jill Ellis a crack at the job over Greg Berhalter.

Just find a manager who select a better roster.
I don't know that there is a better roster...that is the problem...

I don't know that there is a better roster...that is the problem...

I don’t think the roster is the problem at all. We clearly have the second most talented squad in our region right now and if you look at the last two decades, I’m not sure our full strength team lags behind any that we’ve seen.

The issue is we sold our identity to try to learn to play a more attractive style and we’re running into a round peg/square hole situation.

I don’t think the roster is the problem at all. We clearly have the second most talented squad in our region right now and if you look at the last two decades, I’m not sure our full strength team lags behind any that we’ve seen.

The issue is we sold our identity to try to learn to play a more attractive style and we’re running into a round peg/square hole situation.
Agree with you on both points...probably the most talented roster we've ever had but still not up to playing one and two touch soccer...

It is one thing to get beat by a reasonably solid South American team when trying to play that possession style but when you get dominated by Canada, that is a whole nuther kettle of fish...

Just way too many giveaways on bad first touches and errant passes (even when not under any pressure)...

Agree with you on both points...probably the most talented roster we've ever had but still not up to playing one and two touch soccer...

It is one thing to get beat by a reasonably solid South American team when trying to play that possession style but when you get dominated by Canada, that is a whole nuther kettle of fish...

Just way too many giveaways on bad first touches and errant passes (even when not under any pressure)...
Not having a left footed CB to pair with Long hurts distribution and cover. John Brooks is easily that guy when healthy but that’s been the issue. And Tyler Adams will cover up a lot of issues with his work rate and ability to close people down in defensive midfield as long as Gregg doesn’t keep trying to play him at RB. Still worried about someone to play in that CAM role though.

Not having a left footed CB to pair with Long hurts distribution and cover. John Brooks is easily that guy when healthy but that’s been the issue. And Tyler Adams will cover up a lot of issues with his work rate and ability to close people down in defensive midfield as long as Gregg doesn’t keep trying to play him at RB. Still worried about someone to play in that CAM role though.

Duane Holmes or Mendez or Ledezma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom