USMNT soccer team thread | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lichaj redeems himself to go up 2-0 at half.

Nagbe and Bradley pairing starting to settle in. Love Nagbe ability to keep the ball and beat people off the dribble. Not sure he has enough bite to play in a 2 man central vs. better teams but man I like it.

I love Clint, but after watching that 90 I think he's done. Few steps too slow. Maybe he's just in poor form but I struggle to remember anything he did other than one turn on the 18.

Yeah. Maybe as a sub cause he has a knack of making things happen but I think 90 is too much for him at this point. He had that pass to Zardes where he was called off and that left footed shot that the goalie had to save. All in all he is a little slow out there

Yeah. Maybe as a sub cause he has a knack of making things happen but I think 90 is too much for him at this point. He had that pass to Zardes where he was called off and that left footed shot that the goalie had to save. All in all he is a little slow out there

Forgot about the pass to Zardes. He did assist Lichaj on that turn as well. He's always been slow, but he just seemed extra lethargic tonight. I guess the coach has to weigh those few times vs. the rest of the game. Unless the ball is at his feet he is useless pressuring opposing defenders at this point. Even with the ball he seemed easily dispossessed tonight..

Really want to see him break the record though, I'm sure he's still capable to provide moments of brilliance.

Last edited:
Forgot about the pass to Zardes. He did assist Lichaj on that turn as well. He's always been slow, but he just seemed extra lethargic tonight. I guess the coach has to weigh those few times vs. the rest of the game. Unless the ball is at his feet he is useless pressuring opposing defenders at this point. Even with the ball he seemed easily dispossessed tonight..

Really want to see him break the record though, I'm sure he's still capable to provide moments of brilliance.

I agree. That's why they have to play him up top now. He doesn't have the energy to be an attacking midfielder. It is getting to the point where you use him as a poacher and for his passes and link-up play up top, and yes, he probably shouldn't be playing 90 minutes every game.

So...have managed to catch up and watch all US Gold cup games...a few thoughts on the games as well as what has been written in prior posts about the cup...

I think that this has probably been immensely valuable for Arena. This tourney has given him to ability to see a lot of people in meaningful games, even if the competition hasn't been the best.

Unfortunately, I think what is has shown him is that, at least for now, there is slim pickings in the B and C team ranks. And, although this team was inexperienced at the intl level, it was not young, so it's not like you can say that these guys are young and will grow into the speed of the game.

Now, there is a huge difference between throwing together 11 new and inexperienced guys and asking them to play together versus slotting in one or two new guys with an experienced line-up that is used to playing together. Evidence of that? Acosta looked like a totally different player when paired with McCarty versus with Bradley.

Of the new guys that I saw, Miazga and Rowe were the two that impressed me the most...

I love Dwyer's work rate but I'm with CUSU that I just don't think he has the skills to get it done at this level. I think he'll be in the mix because he does work so hard. No offense, IM, but there is no way that Dwyer makes the turn and pass that Dempsey did on Wednesday. And that turn and pass is why Dempsey still gets major minutes even though he has lost a step. That moment of brilliance created the second goal. Not a lot of guys in stars and stripes that can conjure that up.

I think McCarty, Hedges, Pontius, & Corona are all throw-ways.

Agudelo and Arriola are young enough that I give them a remote shot.

Morrow, Lichaj and Villafana would be also except for the fact that outside back is such a weak position.

Looking at a 3-5-2 as a formation, I agree that it makes sense in a lot of ways:

Outside back is our weakest position and this formation solves that problem.

Yedlin and Johnson are ideal wingbacks.

Assuming you play with a defensive triangle, that frees Pulisic up to float - ideal for him and us and a nightmare of other teams to keep track of him.

We seem to play better with 2 forwards rather than a lone forward up top.

Question marks about that formation:

Can our centerbacks cover 1 v 1 out on the flanks because that is what a centerback has to be able to do in this formation.

How do you get Nagbe on the field in this formation? If you pair with Bradley does he have enough of a defensive mindset? If you move to an offensive triangle, do you leave the Centerbacks too exposed with Bradley as the lone cover?

If either Yedlin or Johnson get hurt or suspended, who takes their place? One of the biggest issues when the 3-5-2 becomes a 5-3-2 in a defensive posture is making sure that the wingbacks are in sync with the centerbacks' line. Not an issue with Yedlin and Johnson but could be an issue with someone like Zardes or another replacement who has not played outside back.

All-in-all, I think that this tournament has demonstrated that the guys that Arena has been putting out there for big games are the guys that should be out there for big games...

This tournament has done nothing to tell me that there has been a problem with player selection...

Looking at a 3-5-2 as a formation, I agree that it makes sense in a lot of ways:

Outside back is our weakest position and this formation solves that problem.

Yedlin and Johnson are ideal wingbacks.

Assuming you play with a defensive triangle, that frees Pulisic up to float - ideal for him and us and a nightmare of other teams to keep track of him.

We seem to play better with 2 forwards rather than a lone forward up top.

Question marks about that formation:

Can our centerbacks cover 1 v 1 out on the flanks because that is what a centerback has to be able to do in this formation.

How do you get Nagbe on the field in this formation? If you pair with Bradley does he have enough of a defensive mindset? If you move to an offensive triangle, do you leave the Centerbacks too exposed with Bradley as the lone cover?

If either Yedlin or Johnson get hurt or suspended, who takes their place? One of the biggest issues when the 3-5-2 becomes a 5-3-2 in a defensive posture is making sure that the wingbacks are in sync with the centerbacks' line. Not an issue with Yedlin and Johnson but could be an issue with someone like Zardes or another replacement who has not played outside back.

On the topic of CBs: Cameron can definitely go out and cover, that's why I'd play him at the right CB. At the left, Ream, Besler I believe are quick enough too. Brooks may be able to eventhough I'm not sure he has the quickness. Or you could look at more defensive outside backs like Lichaj etc.

In terms of Nagbe I think the options are playing him next to Bradley. Braldey (6), Nagbe, (8), Pulisic (10). Or you take of Dempsey and play Pulisic as a withdrawn striker next to Altidore. Then it would be Bradley as (6), Lletget or Acosta etc. at (8), Nagbe (8/10). This is why I prefers the 3-4-3 because it allows Nagbe and Pulisic to attack space as the AMs with two CMs behind them.

I actually though Nagbe played pretty well at the 8 on Wednesday.

RWB: Chandler, Arriola, Zusi?
LWB: Villafaña, Saeif

Chandler played very well at wingback at his club, but allows under performs with USMNT. Though wingback would give him less defensive responsibility which may help, he plays RM quite a bit this year. Arriola plays wingback in LigaMX. Zusi in desperation.

Villafaña is decent going forward. Would be serviceable. Saeif, wish he didn't get injured for the gold cup would also be a good option. Plays left wing and wingback for Gent who made the champions league.

I don't love the way this group has played and hope I'm wrong but I'm going 3-1 to the Ticos.
I was torn.

I went with the good ole US of A without knowing lineup, because they have done just enough since Bruce returned

But I could easily see it be a disaster depending on lineup ... I can see Bruce playing a lower level squad to save some formation and talent for the September match

Lineup prediction:

-----Altidore---Morris/Agudelo--
Nagbe--Bradley--Acosta--Arriola
Villafaña--Besler-Gonzalez--Zusi
---------------Howard--------------

Just catching up on this thread -- I gotta say, I am surprised at the amount of people complaining about the drop off in talent after our A-team. This is without a doubt the most depth that the US has ever had in its history. The past few cycles when we didn't send a full squad to the Gold Cup we were starting players like Logan Pause, Chad Marshall, Clarence Goodson, Santino Quaranta, Brian Ching, Davy Arnaud, Jay Heaps, etc, etc.

Right now the team obviously isn't clicking the way that we hope, but the talent level is leagues above where it was just a few cycles ago.

Controlling the game, need to finish and the final pass needs to be better.

Controlling the game, need to finish and the final pass needs to be better.
This is where our players have poor skills in training.
Somebody like Pulisic would finish or have the touch.

The US got unlucky on the Morris goalpost but the rest of our chances have been poor last touches.

Altidore is useless in this style of game

In fairness he can be a threat in the box on set pieces... unless the opposition is allowed to wrap him up with two arms and goes unchecked. #CONCACAFrefstho

This is where our players have poor skills in training.
Somebody like Pulisic would finish or have the touch.

The US got unlucky on the Morris goalpost but the rest of our chances have been poor last touches.

Nagbe needs to find a final pass on a few of those slicing runs. Wish Jozy would have blasted it far post on his open chance.

We have had so much possession it has helped the defense bigtime.

I think 1 goal and we will win this.

Arroila just isn't a world class player. That last touch was amateur.

This team needs 3-4 more Pulisics. Which I believe we will get but the competing with big boys won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.