Ut oh - Babers dodged the "are u here for the long term question" | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Ut oh - Babers dodged the "are u here for the long term question"

Lol I made the mistake of not watching and just commenting.. now that I actually watched it, I think it was a great response and a very professional answer. He’s right we do get way ahead of ourselves let’s just focus on setting ourselves up for something special and enjoy the ride.

He thinks he can win here, matter of fact he now knows it. If we can compete and win our division, then we can play for an ACC Championship and therefore have a shot at a National Championship.

If he can do that here, how many other programs that are down like we were wouldn't absolutely kill to get him there and pay him a shlit -ton of money.

The question is, does he want to start all over again and how much money will it take to get him to jump? Also, is he going to a better situation than what he has here, more support, better recruiting area, etc.

Need an extension ASAP with a huge buyout.

Fans will come. Need to secure Uconn win. Can not afford a let down. Excitement is building among the fairweathers. I can feel the buzz in the office with people who have marginal interest. Winning FSU was huge in the grand scheme of things.

One year is not going to turn around attendance. And frankly even 1-2 big wins annually won’t do it. Casual fans have to be sold on the experience- and candidly, a team that has stunk for 20 years, combined with an uncomfortable building with limited parking options and expensive food/drinks is not a good sell. And I say this as someone who attends every game. That’s why the AD is smart to focus on the total experience- pregame on the quad, 50% off concessions coupons, etc. Hopefully the Dome Reno solves some of the other issues. The single biggest factor? Wins over time.

The fan base DOES exist- remember that we had 48k for Marrone’s first game and consistently average 23k for basketball. Getting to the point we average 41-42k is achievable if we address those other factors. I love Dino (and think we should have enhanced his contract after last year) and want him to stay, but these issues didn’t begin in 2015- and they won’t be resolved in one year.

all Things we’ve beaten to death.

You could sit there and focus on all kinds of inconsequential factors, or just, ya know, go watch a ballgame. Their loss, missing a good time and an FSU Win.

It is what it is, who will come, will come.

The beautiful weather was the biggest deterrent IMO.

He is going to leave because of attendance yet the attendance is down since we haven't had sustained success in 20 years. He's 4-8 and 4-8 and now he's gonna leave in a huff b/c the fans haven't come back yet. That's somewhat of a petulant excuse. How about win 9 games a few years in a row and then see what the fans are doing before you decide to make a decision about attendance.

He'll leave b/c he'll be paid 2x and his assistants will as well. I think the idea of hiring his assistant for continuity is the fraught with peril decision we made with Marrone. I personally never expected him to be a long termer so i'll be surprised if he sticks around.

Let him go, find another guy who can come in and run the program.

Dino’s introductory press conference he asked the fans to have faith. I would ask Dino the same thing. Have faith, belief without evidence, that the fans will show up. Will it be at the snap of a finger? No. It will be like the turning a battle ship. Gradual. But as the wins come so will the fans. And after the last nearly 20 years of Syracuse football, I don’t blame the fans at all to be honest. We have been flat out bad aside from a few outlier years.

Just my two cents.
Cant believe you posted this, I agree and was about to post the exact same thing. It goes both ways.

If he’s expecting us to get 49k for Wagner, it’s never going to happen. But 45k for Clemson and FSU and 35k for everyone else is certainly doable.

The fans not showing up obviously don’t care enough to show up. Don’t care what the record is or who the coach is. If he bails they still won’t care. And won’t show up for the next guy either.

It’s up to the local diehards to bring as many fence sitting friends as they can.

Or bring your kid to the game and let him bring one or two buddies with him.

Get creative.

The ridiculous money is usually hand in hand with 70K plus stadiums. Not a lot of those out there that are warm weather that will be in need, but a few for sure.
Attendance money is a pittance. It's all tv money.

Exactly and it’s why I’m can’t understand why seats aren’t cheaper, and feels like they nickel and dime on the cost of the seat. Cheaper seats = more butts = more concessions and merchandise sales.
I wonder how much money people would spend on concessions if they had free tickets to the upper tiers. It might be a better model than trying to make money on tickets. Or maybe you give vouchers for the price of admission to use on concessions.

The Dome attendance is much like the housing market in Central NY...very consistent and slow to go up or down. It will go up or down but depending on circumstances around it and as for the Dome crowd, wins/losses. It will build upward but at a slower pace and I agree, it would be wonderful if Coach had the same faith he asked us fans to have but that said, how much faith did the fans have? Did we fill the Dome like we did for Marrone in his first game? I just have a feeling the crowd for UConn is going to be 32K or less and that ain't going to cut it.

As for Coach Babers. Like he says, I want people who want to be here and I feel the same way about him and his staff. Babers is sly, and does keep his cards close to his chest and I'm hoping he loves it here like Mac and sees the value of having his family here along with the other wonderful opportunities CNY has. Who knows, maybe he wants to do as many ads on TV as Boeheim? Does he like that type of love as well?

I don't know what's going to happen but it is fun being 3-0 and to be honest, I do have faith in JW to do what is best for the University that he obviously loves.

Last edited:
One year is not going to turn around attendance. And frankly even 1-2 big wins annually won’t do it. Casual fans have to be sold on the experience- and candidly, a team that has stunk for 20 years, combined with an uncomfortable building with limited parking options and expensive food/drinks is not a good sell. And I say this as someone who attends every game. That’s why the AD is smart to focus on the total experience- pregame on the quad, 50% off concessions coupons, etc. Hopefully the Dome Reno solves some of the other issues. The single biggest factor? Wins over time.

The fan base DOES exist- remember that we had 48k for Marrone’s first game and consistently average 23k for basketball. Getting to the point we average 41-42k is achievable if we address those other factors. I love Dino (and think we should have enhanced his contract after last year) and want him to stay, but these issues didn’t begin in 2015- and they won’t be resolved in one year.

The food and drink really isnt expensive. That being said, they need chairs. The omission of chairs in the dome renovation is freakin mind boggling to me.

Honestly, does it really matter? If we win 8 games and have an awesome and veteran DLine, O Line, WR corps, QB (new, but battle tested), RB, and Secondary (and we will), with planned Dome renovations, then we’ll be able to find a hot commodity to coach us. We aren’t in post-HCSS ages of futility, and we’re not a total rebuild. Coaches will want to coach for us.
Let's win some more games before we get "all snooty like". Many of us middle aged fans have been through many coaches that had no business being head coaches. I once believed that Greg Robinson was a god in the football industry, with his illustrious resume' and got sold some bad fools gold on that one. I see where you're coming from with how stocked the cupboards are, however I don't want to see another debacle of a bad coach or two in the next decade.

Looking at it through non orange tinted glasses. I think he’d be pretty dumb to jump ship right now if we can match or come close to an offer.. he has a depth chart that’s really starting to come together, pretty much Clemson as the only main dog for atleast another year or two, he literally got to pick his boss ( wildhack).. the recruits and fans will start piling in if they can see that its a long term deal with success, the expectations are not that high here. But if he does so choose to leave I won’t b mad because for the love of god Hollywood won’t b the one picking the next man up.if he’s leaving atleast that means he’s leaving a good roster and we’ll b a hot job on the market ...
seems like he has a great relationship with Wildhack too.

Well, FSU and Nebraska we’re both dumpster fires last season too. I don’t know that those are the picks you should make . . . .

Let's win some more games before we get "all snooty like". Many of us middle aged fans have been through many coaches that had no business being head coaches. I once believed that Greg Robinson was a god in the football industry, with his illustrious resume' and got sold some bad fools gold on that one. I see where you're coming from with how stocked the cupboards are, however I don't want to see another debacle of a bad coach or two in the next decade.

Neither do I. I’m not saying that our next coach will be great. I’m saying we’ll attract a similar or improved level of coaching hire this time around if Dino gets snatched away. We’ll have a good team, and that will be attractive to a number of hit coaching commodities.

Here are the top attendance for schools in 2017:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2017.pdf

I see only 2 private schools in the listed top 30. ND #17 with a 77K avg and Miami #25 with a 58K avg.

Syracuse is also ranked #25 for attendance increase year over year. And I'll bet we creep up again this year. Going up is a good thing.

Frankly, had that FSU game been a late start - like say night time - it would've easily had over 40K . Nooners are tough in September especially when the weather is beautiful. And I don't blame them at all. Life gets in the way sometimes of Noon kickoffs.

I understand they get what they get but, Syracuse AD should do whatever they can to play these games late. Nooners frankly suck because the whole day is shot.

If we get above 34,000 for UConn I, and many others, should consider that a very very positive sign for attendance.

I see only 2 private schools in the listed top 30. ND #17 with a 77K avg and Miami #25 with a 58K avg.

Syracuse is also ranked #25 for attendance increase year over year. And I'll bet we creep up again this year. Going up is a good thing.

Frankly, had that FSU game been a late start - like say night time - it would've easily had over 40K . Nooners are tough in September especially when the weather is beautiful. And I don't blame them at all. Life gets in the way sometimes of Noon kickoffs.

I understand they get what they get but, Syracuse AD should do whatever they can to play these games late. Nooners frankly suck because the whole day is shot.

USC too. ND, of the 3, is the only one selling out consistently.

USC and Miami play in professionally sized stadiums that are usually 60% full.

Hes a west coast guy. The fill the Dome thing is total Bull. Offer him a significant raise as well as his staff. SU has plenty of money. We could double salaries and it is at best a rounding error. If he wins the fans will be there 40k strong every game. Its not about attendance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom