UVA Attendance | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

UVA Attendance

05098D6B-BCEA-434E-BEFC-EC7CBF809339.png

When it’s an orange out all the old people complain b/c all they have are blue shirts. Now it’s a blue out and all the old people are complaining they can’t wear the orange shirt they don’t own.
Don’t worry. You’ll get here someday too!
9C43FAAE-E9FC-4F18-B148-816CBEBE02FB.jpeg

Again not to beat a dead horse but your not erasing almost 20 seasons/years (with a few decent years sprinkled in) of bad football, terrible offenses, horrific losses, and ill-timed disasters in less then a month. There is definitely more of a buzz but people have to realize there isn't 10K or so casual fans who have been on the fence about buying tickets who are suddenly going to jump on the bandwagon. Were just starting to get people on the fence at this point.

Again not to beat a dead horse but your not erasing almost 20 seasons/years (with a few decent years sprinkled in) of bad football, terrible offenses, horrific losses, and ill-timed disasters in less then a month. There is definitely more of a buzz but people have to realize there isn't 10K or so casual fans who have been on the fence about buying tickets who are suddenly going to jump on the bandwagon. Were just starting to get people on the fence at this point.
I agree and I am not a fan of these tweets or whatever that start taking shots at our fan base. We win 3 games and everyone is on the fans for not showing up - we have shown up for two decades of mostly crap. The fan base has been better than the product for a long time at this school- the product needs to pump their brakes on guilting fans into going to games.

If you really want to make your eyes bleed go back and look at the home record over the last say 15 years. Outside of 2018 it's brutal. We need winning records AT HOME year after year to start reversing this...

Amen to that, Louisville and Purdue were so much FUN. It felt more like a party then just a game. Me and a group of guys behind me were going ballistic. cheering, high fiving. When we got the pick 6. I jumped from my seat, tackled one of them and the rest dog piled ontop of us. it was so stupid, it was insane…… it was so much fun! lol.
ha I Did the same thing to texanmark leaving him a bit battered bruised (literally!) with a torn shirt, his lucky shirt. Luckily he's a good sport and I bought him dinner the night of the game as penance, LOL. What game, lets have more of that!

I think there are a bunch of factors.

1. Not as many season ticket holders. After the great 2018 season a lot more season tickets were sold which increased attendance dramatically. We haven't been close to replicating that performance on the field since so it makes sense season tickets have gone down. If this season continues on the current trajectory I think we'll see a nice bump for next year. But then it's crucial we follow it up with another successful season so people don't feel burned.

2. Premier home games still upcoming. If you're a casual fan you're probably only going to attend a game or two. We still have a ranked NC State, Notre Dame and Florida State on the home schedule. I'd pick one of those games over Virginia.

3. Sports attendance is down overall. Cheap TVs, streaming options, comfort of your own home, etc. I'm hoping we're at the point where casuals will tune into the game instead of ignoring it completely. Keep winning and they'll hopefully want to go to a game.

Not sure I agree with the prevailing sentiment here. True there are “former” fans who are now only fair weather fans, who are probably not back on the bandwagon yet. The want/need more evidence.

But there are loads of people who could easily be convinced that SU football looks like fun and they will want to check it out - perhaps for the first time. This is our market. The cantankerous “show me first” crowd will only come back when SU has a season or two of success - if then. F ‘em.

This is how I tell those two groups apart. If I mention going to an SU game and they say, “Yeah, it’s SU, they’ll find some way to blow it.” Then I write those people off. They will never (again) be fans. If they say something like, “We’ve been thinking of going.” Then lock in. This is the market. They just need a little push.

If you are willing to go out and spend $30 on a meal or $15 on a movie ticket or $10 on a craft beer and you like football at all I dont know why wouldnt spend $20 to go watch a game in the Dome.

If if you didnt like all of the results the last 10 years there still have been a ton of fun games to watch.

Not sure I agree with the prevailing sentiment here. True there are “former” fans who are now only fair weather fans, who are probably not back on the bandwagon yet. The want/need more evidence.

But there are loads of people who could easily be convinced that SU football looks like fun and they will want to check it out - perhaps for the first time. This is our market. The cantankerous “show me first” crowd will only come back when SU has a season or two of success - if then. F ‘em.

Too many fair weather fans in Syracuse. You either support the program or you don’t. Win or lose.

The 90s packed dome sustained quality football era fans are aging out. We desperately need a few winning years in back to back . It has to start with increased STHs.

I think this is true, BUT...

In 2019 (coming off of 2018), we had 40k+ for every game until the bottom dropped out for that final Wake game with nothing on the line.

This year, the home schedule is so front loaded, it's going to be tough to get there. Beat UVA, beat Wagner (duh), and we should be above 40k the last 3. Our most attractively named opponents to the casual fan.

Not sure how that will play into next year. Depends on how special this season ends up (which depends on how healthy we can stay). Next year's schedule is pretty crappy though. Good for winning, but not good for the casual event driven fan.

I doubt UVA breaks 40k. I doubt NC State breaks 42k. ND will be a big crowd. FSU will depend on how good both teams are.

I will say our football marketing team seems to be pretty bad and has been for awhile. I’m going to throw some numbers out here.

Between Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Albany and Binghamton the population is about 2.8 million people. There are roughly 22,000 students at SU, at we’ll be conservative and say an away team brings in about 1,000-2,000 fans a game (obviously depending on team). Then you take into account parents visiting students, alumni coming back for games that are out of state or not living in those areas I mentioned. There are also so many smaller colleges within those cities that I mentioned that are likely full of students who are Cuse fans. If you are struggling to get fans, drop off 50 tickets at a St John Fisher, Nazerath, RIT, Utica university, SUNY Albany, etc…hell give 100 to lemoyne or whatever. Sell them to the school for $10 a pop and I’m sure the school would be able to get rid of them pretty quick and the school would likely set up a bus to bring the students for travel. The kids would love that and that’s a couple thousand fans right there….the marketing is just so bad

But then we somehow struggle to get 40k for big games like this? It doesn’t make sense and the marketing is piss poor. Out of those numbers I said you can’t convince 40k people to come to a big football like this….pretty piss poor. Now I understand not everyone of those people I mentioned above is a Cuse fan, or alum, etc…but the marketing team has to be better, marketing is a big numbers and demographics game. Syracuse has the numbers around the area and the demographic to fill the stadium they are just bad at it….and not to mention our HUGE alumni base in the NYC area that would probably make a weekend to come up to a big Syracuse football game. Has to be better, much better

I think this is true, BUT...

In 2019 (coming off of 2018), we had 40k+ for every game until the bottom dropped out for that final Wake game with nothing on the line.

This year, the home schedule is so front loaded, it's going to be tough to get there. Beat UVA, beat Wagner (duh), and we should be above 40k the last 3. Our most attractively named opponents to the casual fan.

Not sure how that will play into next year. Depends on how special this season ends up (which depends on how healthy we can stay). Next year's schedule is pretty crappy though. Good for winning, but not good for the casual event driven fan.
Those 2019 attendance figures are not accurate, definitely counting tickets sold instead of butts in seats. After the Clemson loss attendance was back to its usual 25-30k.

I will say our football marketing team seems to be pretty bad and has been for awhile. I’m going to throw some numbers out here.

Between Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Albany and Binghamton the population is about 2.8 million people. There are roughly 22,000 students at SU, at we’ll be conservative and say an away team brings in about 1,000-2,000 fans a game (obviously depending on team). Then you take into account parents visiting students, alumni coming back for games that are out of state or not living in those areas I mentioned.

But then we somehow struggle to get 40k for big games like this? It doesn’t make sense and the marketing is piss poor. Out of those numbers I said you can’t convince 40k people to come to a big football like this….pretty piss poor. Now I understand not everyone of those people I mentioned above is a Cuse fan, or alum, etc…but the marketing team has to be better, marketing is a big numbers and demographics game. Syracuse has the numbers around the area and the demographic to fill the stadium they are just bad at it….and not to mention our HUGE alumni base in the NYC area that would probably make a weekend to come up to a big Syracuse football game. Has to be better, much better
Just do an hour and a half radius from Campus.

Geneva to Utica, Watertown to Binghamton.

Access on 90 East West and 81 North South.

40k consistently shouldn't be a hard ask, even with the historical bad play.

History be damned - live in the moment. THIS TEAM is undefeated and exciting. That should be enough.

Unfortunately, as rrlbees stated, a lot of people in this area are front runner, band wagon fans.

For whatever reason, a lot of people enjoy rooting against the University and it's teams.

It's hard for the die-hards to be objective.

Too many fair weather fans in Syracuse. You either support the program or you don’t. Win or lose.
Or

Tickets cost money and this AD and Coach have gave us a poor product more often than not.

I can love a local restaurant but if 3 out of 4 meals are bad… a good appetizer’s not convincing me the next main dish will be worth it.

Keep winning and generate more hype.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom