UVA Attendance | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

UVA Attendance

I think NC State will be very similar to NC State in 2018. IMO there is a better chance of NC State having 2 Ls than there is of having no Ls when we play. But let's say they are 5-1. In 2018 they were 5-1 and ranked #22. So if they are 5-1 this year they will be ranked right around the same. In 2018 we were not ranked even though we deserved it. I think the same thing will happen this year even if we are 5-0. That NC State game in 2018 had 40,750. So given the similarities, I don't see how we get significantly more people to this year's game. I will be surprised if we can hit 44k for NC State.

Those 2019 attendance figures are not accurate, definitely counting tickets sold instead of butts in seats. After the Clemson loss attendance was back to its usual 25-30k.

I'm fine with that.

Right now, people buying tickets is just a big a problem as those not showing up.

a210c512-ca39-4453-94df-b266097928a8_text.gif

I think this is true, BUT...

In 2019 (coming off of 2018), we had 40k+ for every game until the bottom dropped out for that final Wake game with nothing on the line.

This year, the home schedule is so front loaded, it's going to be tough to get there. Beat UVA, beat Wagner (duh), and we should be above 40k the last 3. Our most attractively named opponents to the casual fan.

Not sure how that will play into next year. Depends on how special this season ends up (which depends on how healthy we can stay). Next year's schedule is pretty crappy though. Good for winning, but not good for the casual event driven fan.

Thats all true but as you noted it was all coming off of 2018 thoguh I think we did have a good crowd the last home game in 2018. If SU keeps playing well attendance will keep goign up but were not going to see the true effects until probably late in the year or 2023.

Two horrific days. I said to myself we turned the corner…
1 We pound W. Va in the Pinstripe and the program is looking like it’s all systems go. Two days later DM heads out of town with staff in tow .
Camping world bowl, Orange fans swarm Orlando and we finish 10-3 and season tickets swell. Then Md and Covid drop us to record low #s. Digging out of that is still in process, Beat UVA !!!!!Please

Just do an hour and a half radius from Campus.

Geneva to Utica, Watertown to Binghamton.

Access on 90 East West and 81 North South.

40k consistently shouldn't be a hard ask, even with the historical bad play.

History be damned - live in the moment. THIS TEAM is undefeated and exciting. That should be enough.

Unfortunately, as rrlbees stated, a lot of people in this area are front runner, band wagon fans.

For whatever reason, a lot of people enjoy rooting against the University and it's teams.
I don't think people root against the school or team. I think their are many variables regarding the area, modern sports and modern life that make 40,000 the norm crowd a pipe dream. I think those that do attend often take shots at some of the school decisions but in my opinion the University usually earns those shots. Again the fans have been outperforming the teams for years.

I don't think people root against the school or team. I think their are many variables regarding the area, modern sports and modern life that make 40,000 the norm crowd a pipe dream. I think those that do attend often take shots at some of the school decisions but in my opinion the University usually earns those shots. Again the fans have been outperforming the teams for years.
Call me an eternal optimist, I don’t think 40,000 fans on a regular basis is a pipe dream with consistent winning. (7-5, 8-4 ) type years. We’re going to have around 44k capacity 40 will look pretty full.

No he's right there is a sizeable portion of locals who are anti-Syracuse sports fans. I know a couple of them of personally, trust me they exist.

Or

Tickets cost money and this AD and Coach have gave us a poor product more often than not.

I can love a local restaurant but if 3 out of 4 meals are bad… a good appetizer’s not convincing me the next main dish will be worth it.

Keep winning and generate more hype.

I’ll stick with the front runner theory. I know some and it’s been proven when people say we stink or have stunk so long I’m not going. And I’m not talking about people who don’t go because of their financial situation or kids activities or health reasons etc. Comparing attendance to food is silly.

Idk it’s hard to even get the hardcore fans there

How many people on this thread are going to the game tomorrow?

And of those who aren’t, how many are complaining about crowd size?
Fiancée and I will be there tomorrow coming from Rochester.

After every game this year I’ll call around to my group of friends and see if anyone wants to go to the next home game. Had 2 bite for Friday. The interest is definitely growing with the others.

so kansas who has sucked for many many years and is close to selling out is different than su.. not like kansas is a hot bed of fball.

And look at all the other schools over the last 5+ years that have seen big drops in attendance even during good years. For how poor FB has been the last 20 yrs our attendance is actually pretty good. The decline in attendance in CFB is pretty well documented if you look.

Using one other school as your argument is usually not a good place to start.

History be damned - live in the moment. THIS TEAM is undefeated and exciting. That should be enough.

Unfortunately, as rrlbees stated, a lot of people in this area are front runner, band wagon fans.

For whatever reason, a lot of people enjoy rooting against the University and it's teams.
Your last statement is SO true. I’m sure that all schools experience this to some degree. But per capita, it seems more prevalent in this area. I think people don’t accept the challenges a school like SU faces, and they think we are supposed to be Alabama or Ohio State. And if we’re not, then the coaches suck or the players suck, or both. Their fanhood is dolled out in miserly amounts, and always with conditions that can never be met.

Last edited:
No he's right there is a sizeable portion of locals who are anti-Syracuse sports fans. I know a couple of them of personally, trust me they exist.
Not my experience, I have heard on many occasions “ I follow basketball, football team sucks” although that could be on the bubble. (Pun intended)

Also keep in mind people forget. We’ve lost a generation or two of potential fans. My nephew is a huge SU fan and SU BB. He’s 19, he’s been to a bunch of FB games. Has zero interest in the program and he played FB in HS as well. So it’s a sport he follows. 20 years has had a huge impact on creating fans, those fans don’t exist. That can’t be understated. IMO it may be the single biggest issue SU attendance faces for FB. The other stuff; the fair, CNY negative attitude, etc. Those have always existed. We’ve lost a whole generation of potential fans.

I’ll stick with the front runner theory. I know some and it’s been proven when people say we stink or have stunk so long I’m not going. And I’m not talking about people who don’t go because of their financial situation or kids activities or health reasons etc. Comparing attendance to food is silly.

3 wins vs non ranked opponents doesnt make this annually underperforming product attractive to non die hards. Blaming the fans is silly considering how much people on the hill are paid to make sure local support doesn’t deteriorate to where it has.

That said, they’re doing a fine job rebuilding

2/3s ORANGE.

Still would rather see O-O-W with a nice Orange stripe on the pants.

But OBO is easy on the eyes.

A blue out….is not.

O-O-W makes me think of Clemson. I wouldn't mind O-O-B. That combo is not worn often anywhere in the country. It would make us unique and help with our brand. The color combo below but with better styled Unis (like white numbers and orange pant stripe). Then away we can be O-W-O.

usa_today_10284039.jpg

I'd include the money side of Monroe County too...Fairport, Victor, Brighton, Webster, etc...about 75 mins away

Folks have said the last two games were more FUN than they've had in ages. For the casual, it hasnt been fun in the dome for a long time(terribly disappointing) This team really is FUN to watch. Hopefully word of that gets around.

Being higher ranked in the ACC power standings is a start. If we're 5-0 heading into NC State, with a national ranking on the line? (And pretty please, Game Day) Why wouldnt we get 45k?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom