Va Tech Thoughts... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Va Tech Thoughts...

I will be very interested what happens with Benny going forward especially the next game but as far as Syracuse we are better with Brown and Taylor on the floor and we are by far better with the forwards of Brown, Taylor and Benny.

Bell IMO should be the one not playing and being bench for good.
If you can't see that Bell is the best pure shooter of that group you're blind.

Joe was so good he only got thrown under the bus just a few times in the game thread!
I am usually tough on Joe due to his defense but VTs lack of 3-point shooting helped. Joe had one of his best games last night.

Justin Mutts: 22NP
Judah Mintz: 7NP.
But we overcame that. ;)

Williams-Bell: -3NP in 18 minutes
Brown-Taylor 32NP in 62 minutes

JB had Benny sit next to him his whole time on the bench. Even when Bell got hurt and wanted to sit there, JB motioned him away and told Benny to sit back down. talk about a hot seat!

Jesse and Malik have great two man game going’s, The best since Arinze and Rick.

Do we have the best backcourt in the conference? Joe is the senior and Judah the sophomore but I think Judah has influenced Joe’s game more than ha influenced Judah’s
When Judah starts hitting jumpers, who can stop them!

Judah won't start hitting jumpers. It's not happening and it's fine.

Second level defense decision making when the help / rotation is coming is what is key. Part of that is having the right lineup out there (see Brown and JT with Joe and Jesse).

Part of that is getting slightly better at body control attacking the rim.

Any extra shots he makes are cream cheese. But that's not his next level. His next level is cooking fools on the second level with teammates that are going to benefit from wide open looks.

He has less than an 11 PER.

He's a net negative on the floor.
He's still playing tentative, like the freshman he is. When he gets past that, with the release he has. it will be special. He doesn't just have a sound stroke, he has touch and feel, not many players have that.

He's still playing tentative, like the freshman he is. When he gets past that, with the release he has. it will be special. He doesn't just have a sound stroke, he has touch and feel, not many players have that.

I'm not saying he won't be good.

But right now he is not good. We all focus way too much on shooting.

He is a two-dribble inconsistent shooter that does nothing else consistently or well.

He's a net negative and a big reason why we aren't a good team.

I am very satisfied with this game. Almost everything I have been whining about was addressed last night. JB may have finally found his rotations and the team is much more exciting for it. I thought the gameplan was also pretty solid. Let's hope the young guys keep developing and the team as a whole gels for an ACCT run.

He is a two-dribble inconsistent shooter that does nothing else consistently or well.

I really hope Bell can develop over the course of a few years and not bolt to the portal. I think he has the potential to be a solid player as a soph/junior if his game can become more well-rounded. He has a very smooth jumper, it's just the other aspects of his game simply aren't there yet.

I am very satisfied with this game. Almost everything I have been whining about was addressed last night. JB may have finally found his rotations and the team is much more exciting for it. I thought the gameplan was also pretty solid. Let's hope the young guys keep developing and the team as a whole gels for an ACCT run.
Would love to pull a Georgetown, because that is what it will take.

He has to play to get to the point where he is shooting at the level he is capable of. It's worth the trade off because when he gets on track he is going to blow up. His shot is pure poetry.

If you can't see that Bell is the best pure shooter of that group you're blind.
If you can’t see that Brown is the better pure basketball player you’re blind.
The same Brown Coach Boeheim said was the best practices player yet played the least.

Bell shooting without giving us any defense or rebounding is a net negative but you can call people blind.

Was at the game with a good view.

Girard was getting hand checked, held, pushed, battered.

He faced a physicall ACC opponent and f’in dropped them
Yep, and he did it by being patient and playing within himself. Even when he was missing shots at the beginning of the game, they seemed like good shots in the flow of the offense. Great game by Joe, and much better movement by the offense overall. VT had some sticky defenders to challenge Joe and Judah and make guys work for their shots, but after UVA it probably didn't feel nearly so stifling.

The same Brown Coach Boeheim said was the best practices player yet played the least.

Bell shooting without giving us any defense or rebounding is a net negative but you can call people blind.
I said he was the best pure shooter. When he has a game when he is in the zone, then you will understand.

I really hope Bell can develop over the course of a few years and not bolt to the portal. I think he has the potential to be a solid player as a soph/junior if his game can become more well-rounded. He has a very smooth jumper, it's just the other aspects of his game simply aren't there yet.
I agree with you 100%. I am getting very uncomfortable with all the piling on Bell. He is a freshman playing at Syracuse. Why do we expect so much right away given all the guys we have seen come through here and struggle their first year? He is considerably better than Kris Joseph was as a freshman. Bell can shoot and he can also shoot off the dribble. We haven’t run a single play for him all year. Of course he needs to get stronger. But this is clearly a kid who is a product of an AAU program where he was asked to score and not do any dirty work. It is the staff’s job to keep working on him and helping him develop into an all-around player. Of course it doesn’t help that JB beats the hell out of them and singles him out at every single press conference . Frankly maybe he should recognize that the kid is not a rebounder and is best suited to play the two or only play the three when he has two other strong rebounders in the game.

Lastly I have seen no reason to question his heart or desire. In particular he has been one of the only guys to get back for chase down blocks. The willingness of some to quit on this kid boggles my mind.

So, Benny just has to understand that he hasn’t separated himself from anyone at that position. JB is probably still going to play the hot hand at both forward positions the rest of the year.

I still think JB will start Benny - but the leash is getting shorter. If we get good active Benny- he’ll play more. If he comes out and plays defense the way he did tonight early, we’ll see Brown more.

It’s that simple. It’s hard for a five star to accept that role, but the tape doesn’t lie.

It looked to me like Benny was mad he didn’t start the second half. Then JB put Benny in and Benny immediately took a very tough turnaround shot that he got fouled and JB wasn’t thrilled. Benny made 1-2 from the line.

Next timeout JB puts Taylor in on offense and I think he was about to go offense defense with Justin and Benny…but Benny throws a fit and JB sat him the rest of the game.

Also note that the first rebound after Benny pouted, Taylor got jumped over on the defensive glass for a rebound that I bet Benny gets.

We’ll need them both.
Neither Bell nor Justin can rebound. They are both 2's forced to play the 3 spot. Play Benny at the 3. Brown is our only 4, although I think that Jesse has some 4 skills.

I said this in the game thread, but Benny checked out and pouted after he was pulled during a timeout in the second half. I think he could have a role on this team, but his time really seems to be running out.
It started even before that. As soon as the 2nd half started Benny and JB had words on the bench sitting next to each other. Like Jake alluded to, seemed Benny was pissed he didn't start the half. Oh well, hopefully he shakes it off as just frustration in the moment, and plays with that fire he's shown in a few games.

I thought JB said that about Benny.

Boeheim just can’t help himself in the pressers. I can’t believe how rude he is to Donna for no reason. Always has been. She’s the nicest person ever. Didn’t say Malik had a good game. Said he’s doing what he’s suppose to. I gotta stop watching these lol
What is his deal with Donna? He went out of his way to be a jerk to her last night. Her question was totally innocuous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom