Very Disapponted... | Syracusefan.com

Very Disapponted...

ApexSUFan

Walk On
I know this has already been mentioned numerous times in previous threads, but I felt the need to vent!

Personally, I haven't missed watching a Syracuse game in over 15 years. I've been able to travel to see the team live or I've had the ability to watch them on TV or via streaming services. I have had to watch a few games in replay due to family obligations, etc., but have always had the ability to actually see the games. That is until this year...

I simply don't understand how games can be blacked out when I live 650 miles away... all during a pandemic when fans aren't even allowed to attend in person. What's the point? Am I missing something here?

I know this has already been mentioned numerous times in previous threads, but I felt the need to vent!

Personally, I haven't missed watching a Syracuse game in over 15 years. I've been able to travel to see the team live or I've had the ability to watch them on TV or via streaming services. I have had to watch a few games in replay due to family obligations, etc., but have always had the ability to actually see the games. That is until this year...

I simply don't understand how games can be blacked out when I live 650 miles away... all during a pandemic when fans aren't even allowed to attend in person. What's the point? Am I missing something here?
If you check the in game thread, you will see a number of different options to see the game. Maybe one of those is something you can do in the future?

I would be extremely aggrieved. Sorry, man.

because its not blacked out.. you just dont have the right package.. this is different than in the 80s when goes were literally blacked out around the Dome. Every game is on somewhere and these games are on exactly the same place they would have been on the last couple of yrs. RSN games.. Streamers are not kind to sports and we knew that all along

Upperdeck, you're probably right that the games are available with certain packages or satelite. It's just frustrating that I subscribe to YoutubeTV and I also have access to ESPN+. The last 2 games have been on ACCNX and are listed as available on ESPN+. Unfortunately, when the game begins I get a message that the game is blacked out.

Maybe they're not actually blacked out, but the games aren't available.

It is frustrating to see a blackout clear into the Savannah area. Why?

I'm not willing to give some streaming site my credit card number even if they say they'll never use it. And I don't want to spend all night searching for a stream that is easily available..

Really?
Not on my YES Network feed in NJ...home of disenfranchised Orange alumni.
Do you get it in real time?
Well I stream. But yes I’m streaming it in the yes network section of the fox sports app. My nephew on Long Island said it’s on in real time on the Yes network as well. RSN is a fox affiliate I believe.

Upperdeck, you're probably right that the games are available with certain packages or satelite. It's just frustrating that I subscribe to YoutubeTV and I also have access to ESPN+. The last 2 games have been on ACCNX and are listed as available on ESPN+. Unfortunately, when the game begins I get a message that the game is blacked out.

Basically in the same situation as you, except I currently have Hulu Live which also no longer carries Yes Network or RSNs.

My solutions:
For the Niagara game, one of the “illegal” streams that someone posted here worked great. Watched it on my iPad. I had the NESN feed.

For the Rider game, I found out on here that AT&T has a package that offers Yes Network. This package is $80 a month, but there is a free one week trial. If I had known this a few days earlier, I would’ve gotten both games within my free week. I’ll be cancelling before 1 week is up.

Next time I’m in this situation...I guess I’ll try a different email address/credit card and see if I can get another free week. If not, I’ll look for another “illegal” stream. I think most of our games are on one of the ESPNs or the ACCN going forward though.

Last edited:

I guarantee if you get Direct TV you will not miss games. If I have an SU game to watch I simply go to Search mode andit tells me what channel it is on and will even take me there if I ask it to. I have never missed a game since I got it.If I want to record a game and the channel gets changed for some reason it will still record that game on the new channel. Enjoy

Last edited:
Really?
Not on my YES Network feed in NJ...home of disenfranchised Orange alumni.
Do you get it in real time?
I live in NJ and had no problem watching it live on YES.
As far as the blackout goes, my Mom lives in Syracuse and also watched it live.

The fundamental problem is that the ACC has signed away some of its inventory for football and basketball to be shown on regional sports networks. That contract does not expire until 2026-27. It is extremely unlikely it is going to be bought out, so I do not expect this to go away until then.

The RSN deal means you have to have service with a provider with a contract that not only provides ESPN, but also one of the RSNs that own the rights to the game. I believe YouTubeTV recently dropped the RSNs from their network, leaving people with that provider without coverage of these games.

The good news is that there are only 2 RSN appearances left for SU this season. One for a game at Pitt and one for a home game against VT (no TV has been announced for the Georgetown game but no way that will be an RSN game).

A good strategy might be to sign up for a provider like Hulu Live to get through the OOC portion of the schedule each season, then drop coverage. I would guess most of the games that are RSNs are going to be OOC games most years. The better we get as a program, the less games should be shown on RSNs.
Hang in there.

For whatever reason, I wasnt able to watch the game on Hulu Live. There must be some dispute with Hulu and Yes network. Last season YES was on Hulu. This season its not. I was reduced to watching the game on someones live feed from their tv. They talked all during the game as if they were a narrator. And they talked over the actual narrator. Then you would occasionally see someone block the feed as they got up from the sofa or something. Then I had to listen to their conversations. But it was all worth it to see my Orange. I will end up doing it a couple more times during this season since those games will be on YES.

I have YoutubeTV and access to ESPN+, which I can’t tell if my TV setup actually recognizes, and I was able to get both games through the ESPN app streamed through my TV. Last nights game was f’d up because the stream didn’t start until under 10:00 remained in the first half. I think this was a widespread technical glitch judging from comments posted here last night.

I say I can’t tell if this setup is actually using ESPN+ because when I go to register my subscription credentials it continually rejects them. So I’m unsure whether I got the game because I subscribe to a service (YoutubeTV) that gives me access to all ACCN programming including ACCNx or because I subscribe to ESPN+, especially since I access it through the ESPN app. Very confusing.

Last edited:
The fundamental problem is that the ACC has signed away some of its inventory for football and basketball to be shown on regional sports networks. That contract does not expire until 2026-27. It is extremely unlikely it is going to be bought out, so I do not expect this to go away until then.

The RSN deal means you have to have service with a provider with a contract that not only provides ESPN, but also one of the RSNs that own the rights to the game. I believe YouTubeTV recently dropped the RSNs from their network, leaving people with that provider without coverage of these games.

The good news is that there are only 2 RSN appearances left for SU this season. One for a game at Pitt and one for a home game against VT (no TV has been announced for the Georgetown game but no way that will be an RSN game).

A good strategy might be to sign up for a provider like Hulu Live to get through the OOC portion of the schedule each season, then drop coverage. I would guess most of the games that are RSNs are going to be OOC games most years. The better we get as a program, the less games should be shown on RSNs.
Hang in there.

You're right... this wasn't an issue last year and I was able to watch all the games with YoutubeTV. If they don't pickup the RSN games next year, I may re-assess.

You're right... this wasn't an issue last year and I was able to watch all the games with YoutubeTV. If they don't pickup the RSN games next year, I may re-assess.
I am guessing they will. There is no such thing as customer loyalty any longer. The people who have cut the cord are going to move freely to whatever solution best meets their needs. I think if YouTubeTV is to survive, they need the RSNs. It is a key variable towards creating existing and adding new vsubscribers.

Surprised they haven’t done so already. The RSNs must be asking for a lot of money. Don’t think this stalemate can last forever. It is in the best interests of both sides to settle this ASAP.

I am guessing they will. There is no such thing as customer loyalty any longer. The people who have cut the cord are going to move freely to whatever solution best meets their needs. I think if YouTubeTV is to survive, they need the RSNs. It is a key variable towards creating existing and adding new vsubscribers.

Surprised they haven’t done so already. The RSNs must be asking for a lot of money. Don’t think this stalemate can last forever. It is in the best interests of both sides to settle this ASAP.

It will be interesting to see if Google's scale, along with the national reach, allows it to truly push a different cost model. I don't think that DIRECTV or DISH ever really got there. The problem with the networks (RSNs or whoever) thinking they can all drive a "premium" carry fee, is that it eventually makes YoutubeTV just another high cost "cable" option, except that it is reliant on someone else's infrastructure for delivery.

At least for those of us that watch primarily on our TV and don't take advantage of the mobile element.

Last edited:
Forgive me if this is a repeat, but YouTubeTV is not in contract with some RSNs/Fox Sports Regional Networks. I too am a YTTV subscriber and I currently do not have access to FoxSports Florida or FoxSports Sun.

I think there is a hope that this could be rectified from March/April, as MLB begins its season. More folks watch MLB than college hoops and that pressure could allow the two sides to find common ground.

Also note that there is no pressure coming from NBA and/or NHL fans, as their seasons are beginning late.

Only time will tell, but if this is not rectified by YTTV in the coming months, I am going to exit. Good luck.

I guarantee if you get Direct TV you will not miss games. If I have an SU game to watch I simply go to Search mode andit tells me what channel it is on and will even take me there if I ask it to. I have never missed a game since I got it.If I want to record a game and the channel gets changed for some reason it will still record that game on the new channel. Enjoy
yup, i have directv & both niagara & rider were on about a dozen different channels

I have FoxSports Florida and Foxsports Sun in Fort Lauderdale and the Niagara game was on but the Rider game was not.

I have DirecTV as well, after cutting the cable for like 2 weeks this summer & trying YouTubeTV... I ended up going back to DirecTV (in part because it cuts my internet bill in half as well). I did have to spend way too much time on the phone initially getting set back up... my biggest gripe is that the monthly bills seems to fluctuate too much. However, since getting DirecTV back I haven't missed a game of football or basketball, either it's on a DirecTV channel locally (Dayton, OH) - I was able to watch the Rider game on Fox OH crystal clear, or DirecTV gives me access to Watch ESPN which carries the games too. It's a great set up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom