Very, very poor choice of words | Syracusefan.com

Very, very poor choice of words

Zippy1808

2nd String
By Syracuse alumnus (and fellow classmate of mine) Andrew Catalon during the OkSt-Gonzaga game.
If you didn't hear it and wish to, there are already ways to do so. I will not repeat here.
It was a very poor choice of words, for sure, and he apologized twice on air.
I feel sick to my stomach for him, and he still has 2 games to call tonight.
We've all been there... just not on one of the biggest broadcasting stages there is.

Catalan should be ashamed of himself.

How dare he refer to that Gonzaga player as a "Hoya."

Wouldn't surprise me if syracusefan censored that nasty 4 letter word.

deadspin.com/cbs-announcer-andrew-catalon-drops-polack-on-gonzaga-1549135624

You can see it in the Gonzaga-Oklahoma St thread. You can see a large number of "Did He say Just that" comments.

It involved a Polish Player, Think Archie Bunker.

That was rough. He's just lucky he picked a group that's not protected. I'm not saying this to be a . Just being honest.. If that guy was Jewish or Black, he would never be announcing a game again.

I'm Polish and hope this doesn't hurt his career. Just a very big mistake he made because he was joking with his Polish partner/friend.

His wife was so excited too...

1497517_563953027025556_1168915844_t.jpg
Jessica Layton shared a link.
3 hours ago ·
5SYOjS874Mk.png

Ecstatic to be watching my husband make his NCAA Tournament play by play debut today! He's calling four basketball games today, including the one TNT right now. Thanks to the TU for a great write up on his accomplishments:
http://www.timesunion.com/default/article/Catalon-remains-on-the-rise-at-CBS-5336533.php

Less ecstatic now probably.

1912013_584477721639753_911767611_n.jpg

I think it's all a big over-reaction. Like two3 said, if anything it's PC that has gotten out of control. Lighten up all, learn to laugh a little more, and be a little less indignant. You'll enjoy life a lot more. :)

Isn't that Gminski next to him?
I'm not saying that what he said is ok but maybe he's friends with Gminski (who is of Polish descent) and he can make Polish jokes with him so he lost his senses for a minute and thought he could make a joke about a Polish player on the court.

I guess it doesn't matter.
Make a sincere apology and move on.

Poor choice of words, but if he said this 20 years ago it wouldn't have been mentioned after it happened. The PC in this country is just insane nowadays.

This and I'm a Polack.

Reactions: cto
The thing I never understood was how the polish word "polak", translated to English means "polish man". While the english word "pollack", which is pronounced the same, is derogatory.

Ok, I started this thread and now I'm going to end it.
Let's get back to just using Hoya as a derogatory term - and there won't be any complaints.

Poor choice of words, but if he said this 20 years ago it wouldn't have been mentioned after it happened. The PC in this country is just insane nowadays.

Who cares? I'm a Polack. (Well actually Slovak, next door neighbor.) I've been called Polack countless times. It really doesn't matter. Lighten up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom