Very, very poor choice of words | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Very, very poor choice of words

I was almost born Polish and it didn't bother me.

Na Zdrowie!

Je hochu piwa!

150px-Okocim_beer.jpg

It may not be offensive but some of the reasoning in this thread is troubling. Just because something was cool 20 years ago doesn't mean it should have been cool then and that it, by extension, should also be cool now.

Its all about the context of the use and it was not used in a hurtful manner, so thats cool. As far as the "PC is killing us" crowd, sometimes PC is bs..other times its just being decent and thoughtful regarding people that dont look like you or have your cultural background.

I just read what he said and I literally lol'ed.

And if I offended anyone for laughing, tough noogies!

Saw this in Toronto. Audience loved it. Opening now.
full.png

I just heard the comment and wow is he lucky. This country is getting too PC but I am glad it wasn't a really bad slip of the tongue. This is Catalon's first NCAA assignment if he is lucky he will be back next year. I think though he may be done next year as I think Rece Davis is going to jump to CBS because Chris Fowler got to keep Gameday and is taking over for Brent Musberger.

The thing I've thought about is that there seems to be a lot of Polish people in this thread and we all don't seem too bothered by it, but are any of us "off the boat" Polish? My grandfather is off the boat, still speaks Polish as a second language and cooks Polish meals all the time. I wonder if he would have a different opinion than us? Just something to think about.

I've only ever been offended by that word once and it wasnt because he used the word Polack, it's because he used the word, I laughed and said be careful man, I'm Polish...then he continued to say another Polish joke and then he found out that you probably shouldn't mess with Polish people because we're usually bigger than you.

I am Polish. It is an offensive word. It is intended as an entirely derogatory term. Now, if you are Polish, and it doesn't bother you, that's great. But don't think its original intent was anything but derogatory.

That doesn't mean that I think the guy intended the comment to be derogatory toward the player, but there really is no place in society for any of these types of words, regardless of which race, nationality, or culture they refer too.

Feel free to think me overly sensitive, but this is just a comment from the other side of the fence.

A German, Frenchman and Polack were walking in the deserts. The German was carrying a canteen, the Frenchman a turkey leg and the Polack a car door.

The Frenchman turned to the German and asked "Hey, why do you have that Canteen?" The German replied "We're in the desert and I'm going to get thirsty. I'll be able to drink the water from the canteen." "Very good idea" countered the Frenchman.

The German seeing the turkey leg asked "Why are you carrying around that turkey leg?" The Frenchman replied "So when I get hungry from all this walking, I will have something to eat." "Ahhhh, good choice", replied the German.

Then the German and Frenchman looked over at the Polack, then looked at each other, finally asking in unison "Hey, why are you carrying around that car door?" to which the Polack replied "When it gets too hot, I can roll down the window."

I'll be here all day folks!

He will be fine. You can say disparaging things about white people all you want especially is basketball. Not athletic or non-athletic has been code for white boy for some time now.

Last edited:
I am Polish. It is an offensive word. It is intended as an entirely derogatory term. Now, if you are Polish, and it doesn't bother you, that's great. But don't think its original intent was anything but derogatory.

That doesn't mean that I think the guy intended the comment to be derogatory toward the player, but there really is no place in society for any of these types of words, regardless of which race, nationality, or culture they refer too.

Feel free to think me overly sensitive, but this is just a comment from the other side of the fence.
My only issue is that people get offended by certain derogatory words and not others. I think everyone is too PC about all derogatory terms but I'm pretty sure there's a few terms about others colors/races/nationalities that could have been inserted instead of "Polack" and certain people in this thread screaming about the PC police would be wanting Catalan's head on a stake.

(Bangs head against wall) It's not offensive nor derogatory.

(Bangs head against wall) It's not offensive nor derogatory.
Ok, whatever you say. You have a huge contingent of Polish people on here and none of us think its a big deal so we should just leave it at that, but don't tell me it's not derogatory. Riiiiight.

My only issue is that people get offended by certain derogatory words and not others. I think everyone is too PC about all derogatory terms but I'm pretty sure there's a few terms about others colors/races/nationalities that could have been inserted instead of "Polack" and certain people in this thread screaming about the PC police would be wanting Catalan's head on a stake.

I agree 100% with what you just said. There is no doubt in my mind that if you were to use certain other words, you would find yourself banned in short order. But don't mind me, I'm just a dumb Pollack, what do I know?

Ok, whatever you say. You have a huge contingent of Polish people on here and none of us think its a big deal so we should just leave it at that, but don't tell me it's not derogatory. Riiiiight.

It isn't man. Seriously. A pole is a Polack. That's what they are called. In any Slavic, Cyrillic, or English. I think just the way certain actors on TV emphasized it, specifically Andy Sipowicz and Archie Bunker, it became perceived as negative. It just sounds funny more than anything. It's not negative. I have polled a few Poles and Ukrainians FROM the old country now. Much ado about nothing.

It isn't man. Seriously. A pole is a Polack. That's what they are called. In any Slavic, Cyrillic, or English. I think just the way certain actors on TV emphasized it, specifically Andy Sipowicz and Archie Bunker, it became perceived as negative. It just sounds funny more than anything. It's not negative. I have polled a few Poles and Ukrainians FROM the old country now. Much ado about nothing.
Exactly, it became a negative term, regardless of whatever its true root may be, therefore it is considered a negative term.

Do you think "Hack a Negro" is offensive?

Exactly, it became a negative term, regardless of whatever its true root may be, therefore it is considered a negative term.

Do you think "Hack a Negro" is offensive?

No, but you can't go there. I thought the phrase/rhyme yesterday was clever, frankly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom