Very, very poor choice of words | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Very, very poor choice of words

No, but you can't go there. I thought the phrase/rhyme yesterday was clever, frankly.
Haha, I'm just going off on a bigger societal view right now but in a vacuum, he probably said it more to mess with his boy Gminski, he just forgot he was on live tv.

Haha, I'm just going off on a bigger societal view right now but in a vacuum, he probably said it more to mess with his boy Gminski, he just forgot he was on live tv.

Haha. That makes even more sense now. I didn't know Gminski was doing the color. Too funny.

I hate PC. I loved watching Archie Bunker as a kid because I saw his character for what it was...satire.
Alot of people seem to be missing the point in all this. The man was doing a PROFESSIONAL job, and as a competent professional that word, along with many others too numerous to name, was simply inappropriate at that time.
I have friends of all races who watch sports and hang out w/ me. In social, NON-professional situations, we get on each other all the time. I always use the line from the "Godfather" when Tom Hagen says he's German-Irish, & the movie-maker Woltz replys; "Well, let me tell u something, my Kraut-Mick friend..." and we all get a big laugh from that.
But guess what??? I'm not at work, doing my job, representing myself & my company, before millions of people.
Lets not lose sight of the point here, folks. Honest mistake or not, act like a professional, tone it down, and watch what you say.
Myself and many others weren't offended- but why risk offending even 10K people, out of the millions who were tuned in...what good does that do?

I hate PC. I loved watching Archie Bunker as a kid because I saw his character for what it was...satire.
Alot of people seem to be missing the point in all this. The man was doing a PROFESSIONAL job, and as a competent professional that word, along with many others too numerous to name, was simply inappropriate at that time.
I have friends of all races who watch sports and hang out w/ me. In social, NON-professional situations, we get on each other all the time. I always use the line from the "Godfather" when Tom Hagen says he's German-Irish, & the movie-maker Woltz replys; "Well, let me tell u something, my Kraut-Mick friend..." and we all get a big laugh from that.
But guess what??? I'm not at work, doing my job, representing myself & my company, before millions of people.
Lets not lose sight of the point here, folks. Honest mistake or not, act like a professional, tone it down, and watch what you say.
Myself and many others weren't offended- but why risk offending even 10K people, out of the millions who were tuned in...what good does that do?

You're right, I suppose. However, big difference between Woltz's line and Polack. Especially overseas, saying Polack is as common as saying a 'German.' It's correct linguistically. Kraut or Mick is a slang, albeit funny. Polack is NOT a slang or slur. Somehow it became viewed as one I guess by uneducated folks and certainly not the Poles.

Hack a Polack

Hack a Kyke

Hack a Guinea

Hack a Mick

Hack a Negro

Hack a Spick

Hack a Dot Head

Hack a Camel Jockey

Hack an Injun

Hack a Dego

Hack a Cracker

Hack a Kraut

Choose wisely.. You're only allowed to degrade a few on this list. Here's a hint, if they look white, you can probably say it with minor backlash.

You're right, I suppose. However, big difference between Woltz's line and Polack. Especially overseas, saying Polack is as common as saying a 'German.' It's correct linguistically. Kraut or Mick is a slang, albeit funny. Polack is NOT a slang or slur. Somehow it became viewed as one I guess by uneducated folks and certainly not the Poles.
Yea, Merriam-Webster is such an uneducated dictionary

"a native or inhabitant of Poland. 2. usually disparaging : a person of Polish birth or descent."

That was rough. He's just lucky he picked a group that's not protected. I'm not saying this to be a . Just being honest.. If that guy was Jewish or Black, he would never be announcing a game again.

I'm Polish and hope this doesn't hurt his career. Just a very big mistake he made because he was joking with his Polish partner/friend.

Soon, we aren't going to be able to use any words to describe anyone because they will all be slurs.

This is getting out of hand.

Soon, we aren't going to be able to use any words to describe anyone because they will all be slurs.

This is getting out of hand.
I agree. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy that is certain people are untouchable while others are fair game.

Fair enough.
In fact Archie Bunker made words like "Polack" common if not popular. But today, imagine a man calling his wife a "Dingbat" or a Gay man "F*g" like Bunker used to do...in a public forum?
Slur or not, someone is gonna be offended- and they won't really care about the technicalities involved.
That's what sucks about PC, and why you must watch what you say... especially while performing in a professional capacity.

CiscoCuse said:
Buddy was a very good coach...you from Rome?

I'm from Whitesboro and I agree, Buddy was very good! It's funny how RFA used to act like they were Syracuse with how they used to stand and clap before the first made FG. My father coache Wboro back in the early 80's and we had the RFA crowd standing past the first quarter.

BonaCuse said:
What camp? I remember going to Hamilton College basketball camp and being terrified to go to his stations. And my Dad went to high school with him, so he knew me.

That's the camp! Maybe 1990 was the year. My Dad was a coach at the camp and knew him also. The only stations I didn't like we're my fathers! Always a double standard with me.

Yea, Merriam-Webster is such an uneducated dictionary

"a native or inhabitant of Poland. 2. usually disparaging : a person of Polish birth or descent."

This is the equivalent of trusting Fox News or something similar. I won't post any more about it but anyone who grew up with immigrants from Ukraine/Poland/Russia whatever or has immigrant friends knows that it simply means 'Polish' DUH in Polish or any Slavic language. Simple as that. Nothing negative, truly.

This is the equivalent of trusting Fox News or something similar. I won't post any more about it but anyone who grew up with immigrants from Ukraine/Poland/Russia whatever or has immigrant friends knows that it simply means 'Polish' DUH in Polish or any Slavic language. Simple as that. Nothing negative, truly.
I'm Polish. I totally get what you're saying but just because you don't find it offensive because of the root of the word doesn't mean it's not used as an offensive term. Negro in its root isn't offensive but I wouldn't recommend saying "What up Negro" to the next black man you see.

when howard cosell said "look at that little monkey run" was he being disparaging ? in his mind no. were many people offended? yes. howard could have said "gazelle". no problems. but he said "monkey".
and that as the title of this thread states was a "very,very poor choice of words" .and the reason that even today if you wiki howard cosell you will still find that one quote staining his outstanding legacy.

Last edited:
I'm totally outraged about people getting outraged over the Polack comment outrage. God, that really steams me. &#*%(!$^!!

When I grew up in the 50's and 60's it was. "Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me.” For those of us growing up in that era, the above may sound like a cliche.

For sure, PC is out of control, and deleting words from our vocabulary is not the answer. People will always, either in jest or seriousness call other individuals "bad" names. However, if you know who you are, if you feel good in your own skin, then being attacked by words should not bother you. Unfortunately, we are a society today that is slowly being conditioned to respect what Big Brother dictates. Instead of instilling the need to believe in ourselves, the elite removes words from our vocabulary for fear of offending someone. Words are not the problem. It is the way the word is interpreted that cause a negative reaction.

I am of Italian decent. I’ve been called wop, dago, etc. Honestly, the words never affected me. But some of my Italian friends, if called those words, they’d break your face. That was because those individuals never understood the meaning of, "Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me.”

When I grew up in the 50's and 60's it was. "Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me.” For those of us growing up in that era, the above may sound like a cliche.

For sure, PC is out of control, and deleting words from our vocabulary is not the answer. People will always, either in jest or seriousness call other individuals "bad" names. However, if you know who you are, if you feel good in your own skin, then being attacked by words should not bother you. Unfortunately, we are a society today that is slowly being conditioned to respect what Big Brother dictates. Instead of instilling the need to believe in ourselves, the elite removes words from our vocabulary for fear of offending someone. Words are not the problem. It is the way the word is interpreted that cause a negative reaction.

I am of Italian decent. I’ve been called wop, dago, etc. Honestly, the words never affected me. But some of my Italian friends, if called those words, they’d break your face. That was because those individuals never understood the meaning of, "Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me.”
I think it's about respect. Like I said earlier, someone out with a group I was a part of made a polish joke and used the word Polack. I laughed it off and said watch it man, Im Polish (In a joking way expecting him to stop, no big deal). When he went on and said another polish joke and used the word Polack after I said that, then he got a right handed babka to the face. (Not really, I just shoved him but I wanted to use the phrase right handed babka)

I think it's about respect. Like I said earlier, someone out with a group I was a part of made a polish joke and used the word Polack. I laughed it off and said watch it man, Im Polish (In a joking way expecting him to stop, no big deal). When he went on and said another polish joke and used the word Polack after I said that, then he got a right handed babka to the face. (Not really, I just shoved him but I wanted to use the phrase right handed babka)
We had a Polish childhood friend. We called him SnotSki because his face was constantly caked with snot, even during the summer months. He used to blow his nose on the underside of his tee shirt. He never complained about that name.

Or the equivalent of trusting any proven liar.

(If you like your doctor, you can keep you doctor)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom