Very, very poor choice of words | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Very, very poor choice of words

I always thought it was polock, not polack. All I know is I like Polish sausages.

Good thing he didn't call him a Mick or a leprechaun. Or a drunk irishman because then the world would have caved in.

Eh, I can't imagine any of my polish friends caring...lol. I'll do a poll later and report back. :)

Still, anyone on TV probably should know that's coming when you say it.

wielka sprawa ... tutaj nie ma problemu. Polski here

Last edited:
harmless comment no doubt. but that can't be good. self censorship is pre-requisite . i expect he's canned.

JoeyZ said:
I'm Polish and I also couldn't care less. Holy Piergogie, this culture is getting ridiculous. We should all just become robots to avoid the few people that are always looking to get upset about something.

Hey Joey. I would have never guessed you were polish. :)

How ya been?

It's a good thing polish people are the best because that is really dumb to say over the air

He blew it.

But you're taking aim at the wrong "culture"

In the age of social media, everyone feels they have to come up with the hottest take, the best Twitter zinger. Even the guy talking to a national audience instead of his 500 followers.

Call the game, have some freaking dignity, stop trying so hard to be cute.

It may not have been offensive (to pretty much all) but it is still a boneheaded thing to say.

As a professional person in the media you need some self-censorship and some knowledge of what to say. If a group of ugly UK fans are on screen, with a fat woman in the middle, an announcer shouldn't point out how fat and ugly the lady is. A professional needs to have some common sense on what needs to be filtered.

PS - I would love if an announcer ever pointed that out.

It's funny how times have changed! Back when I was in high school in the early 90s, I went to a basketball camp and Buddy Evans the former Rome high school coach was my coach. During a game he kept yelling to me, Guard The Pollack! Guard The Pollack! And not one person flinched at that. The funny thing was I was oblivious to who the pollack was!

It may not have been offensive (to pretty much all) but it is still a boneheaded thing to say.

As a professional person in the media you need some self-censorship and some knowledge of what to say. If a group of ugly UK fans are on screen, with a fat woman in the middle, an announcer shouldn't point out how fat and ugly the lady is. A professional needs to have some common sense on what needs to be filtered.
PS - I would love if an announcer ever pointed that out.

Pretty much this exactly. But never mind, let's be outraged by the outrage. It's the new cool thing to do.

certainly when i grew up in the 70's it was considered highly offensive.and still nothing i would say today.even with friends.

Last edited:
It's funny how times have changed! Back when I was in high school in the early 90s, I went to a basketball camp and Buddy Evans the former Rome high school coach was my coach. During a game he kept yelling to me, Guard The Pollack! Guard The Pollack! And not one person flinched at that. The funny thing was I was oblivious to who the pollack was!
Buddy was a very good coach...you from Rome?

He blew it.

But you're taking aim at the wrong "culture"

In the age of social media, everyone feels they have to come up with the hottest take, the best Twitter zinger. Even the guy talking to a national audience instead of his 500 followers.

Call the game, have some freaking dignity, stop trying so hard to be cute.
C'mon guy or gal, oops gal probably not the right word to use, I don't know A twitter from from (any word) and don't a know A facebook from a paperback, but I do know that these threads have made me laugh really hard for sometime. Oh and I have quite a bit of dignity

I have Polish blood and I didn't find it offensive at all. In fact, I take offense to people who do find it offensive. Seriously, it was HARMLESS and no ill intent whatsoever. I hope this doesn't amount to anything big or ruin this guy's career. The PC police are WAY too sensitive and ready to pounce in this country. It makes everybody look bad.

There but for the Grace of God goes most of us, if not all.

I think most people will give it a nod but not harp on the guy.

I'm willing to bet many people didn't even know it's a derogatory term. I sure as hell didn't. Maybe it's because I'm young?

What camp? I remember going to Hamilton College basketball camp and being terrified to go to his stations. And my Dad went to high school with him, so he knew me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom