Villarri runs | Syracusefan.com

Villarri runs

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
I know he's a hero on this board, but the only time it makes sense to take McCord out of the play for Dan to take direct snaps was the short yardage motion for Dan to QB for a sneak. The other runs ...give me McCord throwing it.

You beat me to commenting on these. I'm fine with the plays in concept, but not in the red zone. Seemed like wasted plays.

Yeah so I love how Villari did some things last year and was a leader for the team. He has not been productive at all receiving. He has done some blocking. I thought his 4th and 1 pickup was creative and a good job. We should not be taking out McCord, OG, Meeks or Pena in the redzone.

Last edited:
So, I’m going to be a dissenting view.
I love using him on 4th and short, especially with McCord in shotgun. I thought that was brilliant play design.

I really like using him in wildcat on first down to see if we can get a decent gain. 1-2 times a game.

The red zone touches I’m 50-50 on. The game gets horizontal inside the 20. On one hand, the windows are smaller to throw in, but losing a McCord throw isn’t ideal down there.

It’s also another item teams have to prep for.

Last edited:
I dont mind it either a few times but get ourlinemen down in a 3 point stance and get them off the damn downhill.

I love using him on 4th and short, especially with McCord in shotgun. I thought that was brilliant play design.

I really like using him in wildcat on first down to see if we can get a decent gain. 1-2 times a game.

The red zone touches I’m 50-50 on. The game gets horizontal inside the 20. On one hand, the windows are smaller to throw in, but losing a McCord throw isn’t ideal down there.

I like it. Dan is a weapon with his legs and i think in most cases hes good for 4 yards a carry from that set.

We can’t throw in the RZ, as was even sent last night, without some semblance of a run game. We don’t have a consistent run game, especially a power run game in the RZ so I’m fine with the staff trying new things.

I mean this is what we want/wanted right? A staff willing to try new things, find ways to win, do things different when the other stuff isn’t working?

Using him to get a yard bc it saves McCord from taking a hit — smart.

Taking the ball away from McCord outside that scenario is bad. McCord is more talented by an order of magnitude and he should have the most chances possible to make plays.

Shrader was a real qb, until he lost his arm completely.

McCord is a unicorn. doesn’t mean Shrader was awful.
Didn't mean it as a shot at Shrader, although I can see how it came off like that. I was referring to the end of the season games when Shrader was hurt and Villari wildcat was the only thing that would work.

Agree. If it's 3rd or 4th and short, I love having him as a wildcat option. Anything else and I feel it's a wasted play. Remember we have a real QB this year. It's not like last season.
Even with our real QB, we have put up big passing yards, a lot of possession type passing between the 20s, but have not matched that with red zone scoring. Shrader was effective with his running to get points. Without that this year, Nixon is trying to mix things up and find ways to get better red zone results.

Better be a major chunk play because if I'm the opposing DC I'm saying please take McCord off the field as often as possible.

To be fair if say the same every time Gadsen comes off.
It will result in 6 points…..I hope.

Even with our real QB, we have put up big passing yards, a lot of possession type passing between the 20s, but have not matched that with red zone scoring. Shrader was effective with his running to get points. Without that this year, Nixon is trying to mix things up and find ways to get better red zone results.
Totaly agree

I had hoped to see something like a reverse in the red zone to counter NCSt’s pressure, and to get one of our speedy guys to the edge. Never happened. But, of course, what do I know. I still think the Statue of Liberty play is newfangled.

I had hoped to see something like a reverse in the red zone to counter NCSt’s pressure, and to get one of our speedy guys to the edge. Never happened. But, of course, what do I know. I still think the Statue of Liberty play is newfangled.
We don't have anyone fast enough to get to the edge. They have tryed that with Pena, and lost yardage every time.

I would love to see him in a similar role, but taking a handoff on a sweep. (I think with Pena, our use of jet sweep is under utilized anyway)

I think it would allow him to make a run pass option of short throws to Gadsden or a run 1on 1 vs a safety, a tough matchup for defenses.

I know he's a hero on this board, but the only time it makes sense to take McCord out of the play for Dan to take direct snaps was the short yardage motion for Dan to QB for a sneak. The other runs ...give me McCord throwing it.
He’s not a hero in the game thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom