Virginia sucks and yeah I guess that means we really suck | Syracusefan.com

Virginia sucks and yeah I guess that means we really suck

Not sure if this is sarcasm but it will be a thing to watch. I think well-prepared teams will give us fits because we aren't real difficult to prepare for with the way play on either end.

You can run pretty simple offensive actions and, if you execute well, get a lot of open layups and threes. We've got to get waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy better with secondary and tertiary slides. We are fine with the initial switch most of the time, but our PNR defense is brutal, we often have one defender way behind the play if a team curls a player off a screen on the wing and around a second screen at the top of the key, we are slow to help and don't anticipate help well.

Offensively we have stretches with very little movement and if JJ is struggling we have moments where we've got one primary offensive threat (Judah), a solid second option (Bell or Copeland, maybe) and then three guys who struggle to score and/or create (McLeod, Taylor, Benny, Brown).

JJ playing well really helps and I feel like we'll see more copeland because of the activity he brings on both ends and in transition. Hope we continue to try and push the ball (Red is often imploring this team to run). An active Benny would be amazing, maybe Westry is an addition, maybe Cuffe can carve out a role. I don't know.

Defensively, it feels like the help has improved some, but I'm a bit concerned there despite feeling like we mostly have decent defenders. Finding a way to keep McLeod on the floor and next to the basket (1-3-1 maybe?) for a decent stretch in each half could help defensively as well. Interested to watch.

Not sure if this is sarcasm but it will be a thing to watch. I think well-prepared teams will give us fits because we aren't real difficult to prepare for with the way play on either end.

You can run pretty simple offensive actions and, if you execute well, get a lot of open layups and threes. We've got to get waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy better with secondary and tertiary slides. We are fine with the initial switch most of the time, but our PNR defense is brutal, we often have one defender way behind the play if a team curls a player off a screen on the wing and around a second screen at the top of the key, we are slow to help and don't anticipate help well.

Offensively we have stretches with very little movement and if JJ is struggling we have moments where we've got one primary offensive threat (Judah), a solid second option (Bell or Copeland, maybe) and then three guys who struggle to score and/or create (McLeod, Taylor, Benny, Brown).

JJ playing well really helps and I feel like we'll see more copeland because of the activity he brings on both ends and in transition. Hope we continue to try and push the ball (Red is often imploring this team to run). An active Benny would be amazing, maybe Westry is an addition, maybe Cuffe can carve out a role. I don't know.

Defensively, it feels like the help has improved some, but I'm a bit concerned there despite feeling like we mostly have decent defenders. Finding a way to keep McLeod on the floor and next to the basket (1-3-1 maybe?) for a decent stretch in each half could help defensively as well. Interested to watch.
I think if we tried a different look like maybe a two three zone, you know, something quirky, teams would not be prepared for it and maybe we could surprise them a bit. Yeah, a two three zone, innovative, tricky, and just unusual enough so nobody really is prepared for it. Sure, in a few years teams may find the soft spots, but until then we would be unstoppable!

Memphis seems legit against ACC teams
Memphis is good no doubt. It's one thing to lose a close one in a hard fought game like Clemson did. But uva looked like a putrid jv team tonight. Like they did earlier in the year vs Wisc. Like they did the other day vs northeastern. But we make them look like the gd Globetrotters

I think if we tried a different look like maybe a two three zone, you know, something quirky, teams would not be prepared for it and maybe we could surprise them a bit. Yeah, a two three zone, innovative, tricky, and just unusual enough so nobody really is prepared for it. Sure, in a few years teams may find the soft spots, but until then we would be unstoppable!
ummm, I never mentioned a 2-3 zone which, coincidentally, we play every time a team inbounds from the baseline. But I will admit, you took that straw man and really fashioned yourself quite the argument!! Well done!

We don't need to call it a two three, we can think of something more catchy like the pentagon, yeah a 5 sided monster with each player being responsible for a specific zone, think Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines And Coast Guard. Who votes for the new pentagon defense? I hope Red reads this, I may have future as head of intelligent basketball thinking.

Last edited:
We don't need to call it a two three, we can think of something more catchy like the pentagon, yeah a 5 sided monster with playr being responsible fora specific zone, think Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines And Coast Guard. Who votes for the new pentagon defense? I hope Red reads this, I may have future as head of intelligent basketball thinking.
lol -- does it feel good to get this out of your system?

lol -- does it feel good to get this out of your system?
Yeah, With the football recruits putting me in a giddy mood I wanted a healthy outlet. This seemed like a good place for it.

Yeah, With the football recruits putting me in a giddy mood I wanted a healthy outlet. This seemed like a good place for it.
You should know by now that, at the end of the day, Syracuse sports are a detriment to your health … and possibly marriage.

Also Colorado seems legit against ACC teams. It has 2-1 record against ACC. Two ACC powerhouse UNC and Miami suffer the loss. to Colorado.
UNC did not lose to Colorado. They lost to UConn, nova, and Kentucky.

Memphis is good no doubt. It's one thing to lose a close one in a hard fought game like Clemson did. But uva looked like a putrid jv team tonight. Like they did earlier in the year vs Wisc. Like they did the other day vs northeastern. But we make them look like the gd Globetrotters
We can’t ignore the fact that UVA beat us at JPJ. I really believe if we played them now at JMA it would be very close if not a win.

- beekman dominated mintz and mnceely hit over 20 in 3's

any team that can shut down beekman and uva 3's...is going to have an extremely high chance of winning

any PG that dominates Mintz is going to give his team a very high chance of beating SU

next game, someone else should cover beekman, maybe copeland

- NO OPEN 3's

(that said, cant give up uncontested 2 as well)

- on offense, the 1 on 1 wont work against UVA. ball movement beats them not dribble drives.

can they switch it up?

- home court calls helped uva...im assuming it would be differnt not at jpj

- also, once UVA got a lead, SU basically gave up...cant let that happen anymore

imo, UVA and SU are pretty even and SU should be able to beat them...definitely should not be a blowout losss for SU

The UVa team is a "work in progress". It is extremely young and very inexperienced. Only one starter returned from last year, and only two subs who saw regular action, and they were both frosh last year. There are only four upperclassmen on the squad, two of whom are grad transfers, and the rest are either 1st or 2nd yearmen. There is little to no continuity this year, and Coach Bennett's better teams depended on that. Results are going to vary from game to game. There is talent on the team. However, they are capable of being very good, and they are capable of sucking. A Schroeder's Box kind of thing, doncha know!

I don't see any way we can win 14 of 20 games in the ACC.
Yeah so far we beat bad teams and get smoked vs good teams. UVA, Duke, UNC, Miami, Clemson should be ahead of us and Wake is back to full strength. Hopefully we steal some games from them.

It can only be one reason...it's their Superbowl. ;):p:mad::mad::mad:

UNC did not lose to Colorado. They lost to UConn, nova, and Kentucky.
You are right. I saw Colorado beat UNC. Then I went to another web site to check what's going on. The UNC actually means University of Northern Colorado. So for the correction, Colorado has 1-1 record against ACC this year.

I don't see any way we can win 14 of 20 games in the ACC.
I think we end the season 19-12 or within a game. I will be interesting to see how we handle this early portion of the schedule with PITT (who I think is decent) UNC, Duke and BC (who is improved). Hold serve at home for the most part and split with Clemson or someone...19-12 feels right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom