Wake Forest Game Thread... | Syracusefan.com

Wake Forest Game Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Syracuse vs Wake Forest
Saturday, November 30, 2019 | 12:30 p.m.
TV: RSN | Tom Werme '91, James Bates, Kelsey Wingert

1575122483300.png

As disappointing as this season has been, even finishing with a losing record and no bowl game, ending it at 5-7 is monumentally better than 4-8. Wake Forest may be playing for 9 wins and a better bowl, but this is a definite gut check/character game for Syracuse. A chance to send the seniors out the only way they should be, as winners. A chance to give a very disappointed fan base some hope for the 2020 season and a chance for this team to have looked internally at themselves and said enough is enough, this game sets the tone for here on out. The momentum for the 2020 season starts today. Syracuse University Football, you have 105 reasons to play a hard complete game and come out with a win. Finish 2019 the right way and begin your preparation for the better days to come. It's all up to you, Go Orange!!!!!!!!!!!

Just want to win and fast forward to next season...hard pill to swallow after having so much excitement and hope for this season

Game thoughts:

Newman had a huge day last week, throwing for close to 300 yards and running for 150 or so. In many ways, he reminds me of Eric Dungey. Big, strong, confident. Great leader. Can beat you with his arm, his feet or his head.

The WF coaches must be licking their chops after watching the UL film, where it seemed like Cunningham was able to run 10 yards before anyone on the Syracuse defense would get close to him. I expect to see a ton of plays featuring Newman running the ball today.

WF has nowhere near the talent at WR that UL has especially with Sage and Washington out (I assume Washington the 6’7 WR is still out; he hasn’t played in a couple of weeks). So the play action deep balls that UL used with such great success might be harder to pull off. But with our secondary, it might not matter.

It will be interesting to see if our troubled defensive staff will be able to make adjustments to take away the QB run. The WF RBs are also not nearly as good as the UL RB but they aren’t bad either. In theory, this is a largely one dimensional offense that should be fairly easy to defend. Their best WR is a converted QB (Hinton), who is having a good season, but is not close to an all conference type player.

Their pass rush is not strong. They have one good pass rusher guy at DE and a bunch of untalented strong slow guys to fill out their DL. Hoping Servais can handle their good DE and we can have some time for Tommy to throw.

They have two solid CBs and a couple of not very good safeties. Team have hurt them more through the air than running but WF is not very good in either area on defense.

Their PK hasn’t missed a FG or PAT all season but he has a weak leg and has only even attempted 2 FGs longer than 40 yards, and only 6 longer than 30 yards all season. He is unlikely to get the ball into the end zone kicking off as well. Their coverage teams are among the worst in the conference and they were absolutely gouged last week against Duke, as Duke rolled up big numbers running KOs and punts.

On the positive side, Maggio, their punter, is having a great season. I believe he is averaging over 47 yards a punt, which is even better than Hof. Sage was a fine return man. Without him, they aren’t very good here.

So special teams is a place we should have a major advantage.

It is a shame that just as Jordan starting making a big impact, we have to shut him down. He could do damage against these weak WF coverage units.

I think a key to the game is the health of Tommy. Really worried his injury is worse than people think, and Clayton is going to be our starter.

To roll up big numbers on offense, we need to have a good balance between running and throwing the ball. I am optimistic we will be able to get some yardage running it now that we have a decent OL in place. But we need to throw it some too.
Hope we feature our best skilled guys when we throw: Trishton, Hackett, Benson and Courtney Jackson. Nykeim and Sean have had their chances and just haven’t done the job. Learn from what Jawhar showed you last week, get your most talented players on the field and give this team a chance to finish with a win. It is okay to throw it to the RBs a lot too. Mo can do damage as a receiver

Obviously want a win. Didn't come up here for anything else. But also want to see the continued development of the O line. If they continue to perform, I will leave the dome a happy man. Go Orange!

Adams not playing today due to injury. Moe and Howard show today. Or Moe Howard if you prefer nyuk nyuk nyuk

disappointment aside, would love to see them finish strong. 5-7 coming off a win vs a good ACC team to close the year would leave them feeling so much better during the off season than 4-8 and yet another loss.
Wake isn't really that good

Armstrong in sweats
Probably Jones will start but I expect Wake to play lots of 12 personnel, so a third LB is going to play a lot. Wallace or Richards?

Great opportunity for a youngster to stake a claim on a starting position for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom