Warriors sign Malachi to summer league team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Warriors sign Malachi to summer league team

I have done a 180 on this in the last 5 years. I think you're either good enough or not to stick in the NBA beyond the initial contract no matter how long you stay in school. The odds of sticking in the NBA are so slim. If you're going to be a marginal NBA guy that is out by age 25 regardless and you have a decent chance of showing enough "potential" to trick a GM into drafting you it's better to have that guaranteed money cushion than staying in school longer and trying to get in the league via the 2nd round or undrafted route. Of all the last decade's early entrants I think the only one who had a decent chance to move up the draft boards by staying one more year was Jerami Grant.

Here is a counter point. Eric Paschall was a Fordham recruit out of high school. A-10 Rookie of the Year, transfers to Villanova and plays three years there.

He started 8 games as a sophomore, stuck with it and finished out his senior year this year. He was a second round pick and has a good shot to make the Warriors. Also has his degree and I’d wager a better shot to stick long term because of his college experience.

So I ask you, after Brissett left and is unlikely to make a roster - do you think Paschall made a mistake by leaving later than he did? Also, Paschall has no shot of being drafted two years ago. None.

Here is a counter point. Eric Paschall was a Fordham recruit out of high school. A-10 Rookie of the Year, transfers to Villanova and plays three years there.

He started 8 games as a sophomore, stuck with it and finished out his senior year this year. He was a second round pick and has a good shot to make the Warriors. Also has his degree and I’d wager a better shot to stick long term because of his college experience.

So I ask you, after Brissett left and is unlikely to make a roster - do you think Paschall made a mistake by leaving later than he did? Also, Paschall has no shot of being drafted two years ago. None.

Really makes you think.

Oshae obviously had the chance to move up too, since he never got drafted, and i think he couldve worked himself to round 1. That being said, agree w your initial point. It also somewhat defies common sense to say that guy wont get better in nba when fully dedicated to playing. Nba is just a crazy high level. Thats why guys fail.

worked his way to round 1? of what? Swaziland Pro League? The more he plays the more he exposes himself.

Each individual each player is unique. There are so many factors involved. Today the NBA drafts are potential centric. My two cents is that if you are a young player and blessed to be deemed to have the coveted potential by the NBA enter the draft. If however you are outside of this sphere of luck buckle down and improve as much as possible while you enjoy the college life and make sure that you get your degree and possibly masters as your odds of making the NBA are slim.
The kids who do well seem to be in one of two groups.
1: Early entries. Blessed by the NBA as having potential. Malachi is a perfect example. He will have earned 4-5 million. Hopefully banked 1m or more and will end up making an additional 1-2 million offshore. After that who knows.
2: Degree guys who get better and by playing 4 years at a program like SU create awareness which leads to a nice offshore gig as well as having the degree to fall back on later.
The tweeners are the ones who seem to have a rough time. No degree, no brand awareness for offshore, floundering in the G league hoping for a shot against very long odds.

if you ain't in... there's a whole new crop of super talent coming every year. that don't ever change.
younger faster and better. it's a tough business. get your degree ! plan long term. retire comfortably.

Last edited:
So Jimmer quitting might not actually matter, but that's one less guy Malachi is competing with for a roster spot.

Oshae obviously had the chance to move up too, since he never got drafted, and i think he couldve worked himself to round 1. That being said, agree w your initial point. It also somewhat defies common sense to say that guy wont get better in nba when fully dedicated to playing. Nba is just a crazy high level. Thats why guys fail.
He can't shoot or dribble. Always a 2nd Rd or UFA.guy.

if you ain't in... there's a whole new crop of super talent coming every year. that don't ever change.
younger faster and better. it's a tough business. get your degree ! plan long term. retire comfortably.
Nope. Make the money, then after done playing, (or during, with online learning), get a degree, if needed, for your next job.

Professional jobs aren't always the way to go. My neighbor had 2 choices. Go to PA school, (loans, liability) or become a fireman (in Syracuse). Chose the fireman. $70k to start. 60% retirement in 20 years, (age 43), full medical, plus pension. 4 on/4 off, plus six 12-day vacations, per year.
When he retires, he can go work elsewhere if he wants, and earn another retirement plan.

Nope. Make the money, then after done playing, (or during, with online learning), get a degree, if needed, for your next job.

Professional jobs aren't always the way to go. My neighbor had 2 choices. Go to PA school, (loans, liability) or become a fireman (in Syracuse). Chose the fireman. $70k to start. 60% retirement in 20 years, (age 43), full medical, plus pension. 4 on/4 off, plus six 12-day vacations, per year.
When he retires, he can go work elsewhere if he wants, and earn another retirement plan.

Fireman? You also risk death and serious injury. There are no free lunches.

If he only played 8 games sophomore yr. so he had no shot of tricking a GM with "potential". He still needed to prove he could compete at the highest level of college. OB has been a P5 league starter for 2 years. He's a known commodity and coming back to school for him would be a waste of time.

If he only played 8 games sophomore yr. so he had no shot of tricking a GM with "potential". He still needed to prove he could compete at the highest level of college. OB has been a P5 league starter for 2 years. He's a known commodity and coming back to school for him would be a waste of time.

He played in 30+. Started 8. And played 30+ games on the A-10 two years prior, which is not like the MAAC. He had been in front of scouts plenty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom