Washington beats Arizona at the buzzer. Why can't we | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Washington beats Arizona at the buzzer. Why can't we

Phone rings

H: :This is Mike.

SU: This is SU AD (whoever, by that time) We would like you to replace Jim.

H: I make "X$". Will you pay me more.

SU:Umm no. We will pay you 1/2 X. But you are coming back to SU.

HH :What?

SU: Plus, you would not have to live in Seattle anymore. You can hunker down, in the snowiest city in America. Its only 4 hours outside of NYC, if you have any interest in that kind of thing.

H: I'm making my own legacy out here. I am my own man.

SU: Well, here you can carry on Jim's legacy, and forever be linked. Isn't that better? Plus, Syracuse, not Seattle.

H :Goodbye. Don't call again.

Syracuse has better facilities, better access to more major cities with talent, way bigger and more passionate fanbase, better league, better brand name, and it’s a place he spent 30 years of his life.

The “make own legacy” thing may or may not be a real factor, and he very well may love Seattle, and things are off to an amazing start for him there and he very well may be all set... but we shouldn’t act like there’s no reason to want to coach b-ball at Syracuse over Washington. Syracuse bball is one of the better jobs in the country.

Ok so what about last year? That roster should have been top 10 .

I would just say the team lacked a team first pg. teams are only as good as their guards. Gillon and the pouting Howard killed team chemistry and the team wasn’t functional.

Had Lydon come back this year though it’s pretty solidly a top 25 team. Lydon’s presence would have changed Tyus and Frank’s game.

While I’m down on frank his game has improved that he’d be a really good pg with a better supporting cast. He’s being asked to carry a team and shouldering way more than he’s capable of (ie scoring). He be a great compliment if he were the 3rd option.

I would just say the team lacked a team first pg. teams are only as good as their guards. Gillon and the pouting Howard killed team chemistry and the team wasn’t functional.

Had Lydon come back this year though it’s pretty solidly a top 25 team. Lydon’s presence would have changed Tyus and Frank’s game.
True about PG. Gillon could not pass inside. I still feel the underachieved.

I feel this team is underachieving as well. 2 guys bound for NBA, a rim protector, 2 other wings that are hungry. They are playing for a coach who has admittedly left them on an island offensively. I know they are limited but they should at least be competing with UVA, beating ND, etc.

True about PG. Gillon could not pass inside. I still feel the underachieved.

I feel this team is underachieving as well. 2 guys bound for NBA, a rim protector, 2 other wings that are hungry. They are playing for a coach who has admittedly left them on an island offensively. I know they are limited but they should at least be competing with UVA, beating ND, etc.

Brissett might play in the nba on potential but he’s certainly not right now. He’s too weak to even finish around the rim against P5 players.

They’re on an island offensively because there is literally no one else.

He beat Kansas in Kansas. I wouldn't count him out.
This is the worst Kansas team in a long time. They’ve already had a record number of losses at home.

(And he doesn’t beat Kansas without the help of our coaching staff.)

While I’m down on frank his game has improved that he’d be a really good pg with a better supporting cast. He’s being asked to carry a team and shouldering way more than he’s capable of (ie scoring). He be a great compliment if he were the 3rd option.

Yes. Frank has definitely improved and can be a viable scorer and passer in a complementary role. As ACC play continues he is going to get exposed more and more being a lead guard.

Maybe all he needs to do is get the ball out of his hands next year and defer to Bazely/Carey/OB. The off-season will be interesting with him. IMO, he just ideally looks like a 20 mpg combo guy coming off the bench who can do a lot of good things for you. I mean he looks overmatched in almost every game now. He made a couple of lucky chucks yesterday and then a basket on a drive where he pushed off again but it wasn’t called. Guy owned him. Carey didn’t come here to ride pine either.

Reason for SU ineptitude: Differential diagnosis.

Need better players: Source: Coach's fault.
Need better system: Coach's fault.
Cant get good players due to prior sanctions: Coach's fault...second time he's been sanctioned by NCAA.
Combination of all factors above" Coach's fault.
Post with no substance to it that wasted 30 seconds of my life. Steveholt’s Fault.

Syracuse has better facilities, better access to more major cities with talent, way bigger and more passionate fanbase, better league, better brand name, and it’s a place he spent 30 years of his life.

The “make own legacy” thing may or may not be a real factor, and he very well may love Seattle, and things are off to an amazing start for him there and he very well may be all set... but we shouldn’t act like there’s no reason to want to coach b-ball at Syracuse over Washington. Syracuse bball is one of the better jobs in the country.
UW is a football first school. Syracuse is a better job by a mile. I’m not sure if he would want to put himself through it though due to our fan base and the level of crazy you have to deal with. Some of these threads really hammer that home.

This is the worst Kansas team in a long time. They’ve already had a record number of losses at home.

(And he doesn’t beat Kansas without the help of our coaching staff.)
They will still be on the top 2 seed line. Talking to our staff is not the thing that made the victory possible. It helped but come on. That is ridiculous

I’m sure if Hop had continued success he could pressure the AD to invest in facilities.

...especially if he had an offer from Syracuse to use as leverage.

UW is a football first school. Syracuse is a better job by a mile. I’m not sure if he would want to put himself through it though due to our fan base and the level of crazy you have to deal with. Some of these threads really hammer that home.

Washington would seem to be an ideal job for him at this point...they had nowhere to go but up, little pressure, and a place that you can have success at- while not a b-ball power, they’ve had some strong teams here and there and are in a league where they could easily become a top 5 program in the league. I could see how that would be a better fit for a first year coaching job than trying to follow a 40+ year legend.

Who knows how things will look years down the road though? Things change.

Anyone discrediting Mike’s work this season needs their head examined. His team is doing very well and he deserves this success as much as anyone. He paid his dues, waited patiently and then had to move on. I am so happy for him...he is the definition of first class and humble. If he keeps this up his star will only become brighter and he will have some HUGE opportunities in front of him from much better schools.

Washington would seem to be an ideal job for him at this point...they had nowhere to go but up, little pressure, and a place that you can have success at- while not a b-ball power, they’ve had some strong teams here and there and are in a league where they could easily become a top 5 program in the league. I could see how that would be a better fit for a first year coaching job than trying to follow a 40+ year legend.

Who knows how things will look years down the road though? Things change.
It is hard to explain the lack of expectations. I mean a guy has to lose 20 games for 4 years to get the axe and even then some people will want to keep him if he is a nice guy. For us if you go 500 in league 4 years ina row the pitchfork come out

It is hard to explain the lack of expectations. I mean a guy has to lose 20 games for 4 years to get the axe and even then some people will want to keep him if he is a nice guy. For us if you go 500 in league 4 years ina row the pitchfork come out

Yup. It’s why Pasqualoni got fired...and we know how that turned out.

Maybe Brissett should just start letting himself get swatted so bad that the ball goes out to an open 3 point shooter?

That's funny and made me chuckle. To your point though...we don't have any guys likely to hit one. :)

I’m sure if Hop had continued success he could pressure the AD to invest in facilities.

...especially if he had an offer from Syracuse to use as leverage.
True. I don’t think there facilities are that bad but they also aren’t great. The football stadium got a 280 million renovation and is quite nice.

They will still be on the top 2 seed line. Talking to our staff is not the thing that made the victory possible. It helped but come on. That is ridiculous
So scouting and game planning isn’t important?

Anyone discrediting Mike’s work this season needs their head examined. His team is doing very well and he deserves this success as much as anyone. He paid his dues, waited patiently and then had to move on. I am so happy for him...he is the definition of first class and humble. If he keeps this up his star will only become brighter and he will have some HUGE opportunities in front of him from much better schools.

Agreed, my favorite is "he wouldn't have beaten Kansas without our help"

That's just insane and it's even more insane that people believe that.

yeah I mean are we going to have multiple new threads now with each UW win?
Every win? They just beat the league big dog. I thought it deserved mention. That and coupled with the past of how many of our posters didn't want him as our next coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom