Washington beats Arizona at the buzzer. Why can't we | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Washington beats Arizona at the buzzer. Why can't we

No coach would be coaching up this Syracuse team. I wouldn’t say it’s the worst collection of talent but it’s close to the worst team. you’re trotting out there Howard, Battle, Chukwu who hasn’t played in two years and 5 freshman until one got hurt so now it’s 4. There’s literally only 3 guys who can score and Brissett has hit a freshman wall. Sadibe counted above is half a player with his injury. Worst offensive outing in the dome is because nobody can score. Offensive sets or not. I mean how many bunnies do the guys miss?

So JB recruited these guys. Right, I get it. And the good players on the team left early and the sanctions have done exactly what they wanted them to do.

Teams are as good as their guards and our guards are pretty bad. Particularly in the leadership dept.

This was always a throw-a-way year.
What does that mean? This year stinks because our recruiting has done nothing to replace kids who've left early. Our strategy has stunk and we basically cobbled together a roster last spring because of the inability to recruit enough players. We had to add a mediocre grad transfer, an unknown Euro, a PG that we had passed on for a looooong time and an ECU transfer just to fill our already reduced scholarship total. That's 100% on JB and I'm not sure why this was always going to be a throwaway season. This is self-induced with roots going back a few years. It didn't have to be this way.

I agree with the rest of your reply. Our guards have not been good enough, haven't been for a while now and we don't build depth at the position. You need multiple shooters, guards that can drive and more than 2 capable players at the position in modern college hoops. We've been weak at guard, even when we have a good option, because of a lack of depth and shooting.

What does that mean? This year stinks because our recruiting has done nothing to replace kids who've left early. Our strategy has stunk and we basically cobbled together a roster last spring because of the inability to recruit enough players. We had to add a mediocre grad transfer, an unknown Euro, a PG that we had passed on for a looooong time and an ECU transfer just to fill our already reduced scholarship total. That's 100% on JB and I'm not sure why this was always going to be a throwaway season. This is self-induced with roots going back a few years. It didn't have to be this way.

I agree with the rest of your reply. Our guards have not been good enough, haven't been for a while now and we don't build depth at the position. You need multiple shooters, guards that can drive and more than 2 capable players at the position in modern college hoops. We've been weak at guard, even when we have a good option, because of a lack of depth and shooting.
All of that is true. I will say that from all I hear, and I have heard a lot from a number of different people, the ECU transfer is a real good player.

All of that is true. I will say that from all I hear, and I have heard a lot from a number of different people, the ECU transfer is a real good player.
Not disputing that and I hope he is. I was more commenting on the state of roster building and how Hughes was basically a late add to fill out the roster with big upside. It's more the other 3 than Hughes, as well. I feel like we'd have taken a player like him any year.

I really hope he is, but I've been hearing how excellent so many different guys have been the past few years only to be disappointed.

Hoping for the best but expecting average.

Agreed, my favorite is "he wouldn't have beaten Kansas without our help"

That's just insane and it's even more insane that people believe that.
Hop believes it.

Did we scout for him yesterday against Arizona as well?

Oh wait, I forgot Arizona sucks because they are in the Pac12.
That was a great conference win at home. But we were talking about Kansas.

I really hope he is, but I've been hearing how excellent so many different guys have been the past few years only to be disappointed.

Hoping for the best but expecting average.
Time will tell. one of the reasons that guys that sit out look so good is that the practices are their games. I get that. But the number of people, from high school coaches that coached against him in high school to our coaches (not just JB) that think the guy is a terrific player is quite high.

Why did he contact our staff before the game?
He literally talks to Coach Griff every week. This is what coaches do with people they have worked with. They also bounce ideas off each other. This doesn’t mean you don’t give the staff that won the game credit for the victory. I can’t believe this needs to be explained

The pitch will be come back and help rebuild a program to national prominence. 81 reconstruction will be complete along with a newly refurbished dome, hopefully. But the wildcard is Mrs Hop. Isn’t she from the East coast? Where’s her family from?
Hmmmm.

Battle of the views:
New Rt 81 vs Mt. Ranier
Destiny vs Space Needle
Onondaga lake vs Puget Sound

Some pitch

He literally talks to Coach Griff every week. This is what coaches do with people they have worked with. They also bounce ideas off each other. This doesn’t mean you don’t give the staff that won the game credit for the victory. I can’t believe this needs to be explained
I can’t believe you’re misinterpreting me. I never said it was the sole reason for the victory. It helped. You can’t deny that.

I would just say the team lacked a team first pg. teams are only as good as their guards. Gillon and the pouting Howard killed team chemistry and the team wasn’t functional.

Had Lydon come back this year though it’s pretty solidly a top 25 team. Lydon’s presence would have changed Tyus and Frank’s game.

While I’m down on frank his game has improved that he’d be a really good pg with a better supporting cast. He’s being asked to carry a team and shouldering way more than he’s capable of (ie scoring). He be a great compliment if he were the 3rd option.

The presence of Lydon on this team would not make it top 25 . It would take a legit NBA starter to do that . Come on

I can’t believe you’re misinterpreting me. I never said it was the sole reason for the victory. It helped. You can’t deny that.
You said they wouldn’t have won the game without our help. At least that is how I interpreted it.

You said they wouldn’t have won the game without our help. At least that is how I interpreted it.
I did say that, and I stand by it. It's no different than saying we don't beat Eastern Michigan without Chukwu's 15 points (including 9-11 from the line), 12 rebounds, and 5 blocks. That doesn't take anything away from Battle's 22 points or Brissett's double-double, because we wouldn't have won without them either.

Why is it so controversial to give our coaching staff credit for the assist? Virginia Tech clobbered Washington and we clobbered Virginia Tech. If JB or any of the assistants were to credit Hop for contributing to the scouting report and game plan, it wouldn't offend me at all. I'm sure most Washington fans are grateful for Hop's connections, especially when they pay off.

I did say that, and I stand by it. It's no different than saying we don't beat Eastern Michigan without Chukwu's 15 points (including 9-11 from the line), 12 rebounds, and 5 blocks. That doesn't take anything away from Battle's 22 points or Brissett's double-double, because we wouldn't have won without them either.

Why is it so controversial to give our coaching staff credit for the assist? Virginia Tech clobbered Washington and we clobbered Virginia Tech. If JB or any of the assistants were to credit Hop for contributing to the scouting report and game plan, it wouldn't offend me at all. I'm sure most Washington fans are grateful for Hop's connections, especially when they pay off.

You do realize we lost to Kansas by 16? Our coaches couldn't figure them out, and yet their advice was the reason Washington won by 9?

You do realize we lost to Kansas by 16? Our coaches couldn't figure them out, and yet their advice was the reason Washington won by 9?
Again, I never said it was THE reason. I said it was A reason. Why is this such a difficult concept?

Hmmmm.

Battle of the views:
New Rt 81 vs Mt. Ranier
Destiny vs Space Needle
Onondaga lake vs Puget Sound

Some pitch
Nobody moves to Seattle to stare at a mountain or ride a fancy elevator. And last I checked water is water. People relocate for career opportunities and that is why Hop left. Hop invested almost 30 years of life in Syracuse. His wife is from syracuse. And the syracuse brand has a lot more history than where he is now. There’s always a chance.

Again, I never said it was THE reason. I said it was A reason. Why is this such a difficult concept?

What?

Reread Post #70 to this thread.

Poster X in reply to you - " You said they w0uldn't have won the game without our help"
Day2 says - "I did state that, and I stand by it".

You are saying that without our help they don't win. By extension if we didn't help, they lose. Is that not the definition of being "the reason".

Nobody here is saying our staff may not have helped. But, no one else is foolish to claim it was the difference in them winning or losing. It's not that difficult a concept.

What?

Reread Post #70 to this thread.

Poster X in reply to you - " You said they w0uldn't have won the game without our help"
Day2 says - "I did state that, and I stand by it".

You are saying that without our help they don't win. By extension if we didn't help, they lose. Is that not the definition of being "the reason".

Nobody here is saying our staff may not have helped. But, no one else is foolish to claim it was the difference in them winning or losing. It's not that difficult a concept.
How about you read everything that came after it in that same post? It’s one of several reasons why they won, all of which were necessary IMO. If you agree our staff helped, then all you’re doing is arguing semantics at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom