Washington Huskies | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Washington Huskies

Agree if the seniors to be are all seniors next year. But the looming early departure will be a death blow IMO if we can’t have one offseason where we catch a break...we really need one year without someone leaving early.
LOL! Death Blow? Hughes is not Carmelo Anthony!

Here is a question for you. If you created a top 50 list of all-time SU greats does Hughes make the list and if so where?

How many of those players leaving produced a "Death Blow"?

Here is a question for you. If you created a top 50 list of all-time SU greats does Hughes make the list and if so where?

Will hurt more than the combo of Brissett and Battle who were equal players but couldn’t shoot.

Senior year Eli would be pretty high on the list. Maybe Wes level or so? I’m convinced he would improve again.

Will hurt more than the combo of Brissett and Battle who were equal players but couldn’t shoot.

Senior year Eli would be pretty high on the list. Maybe Wes level or so? I’m convinced he would improve again.
OK. So do you think he would be the only returning player to improve?

Personally I think he is the closes to his ceiling as a college player, because he has the fewest holes in his game compared to his teammates.

Guerrier for example can improve a ton in almost every aspect of the game.

Dolezaj can improve greatly finishing at the rim and shooting from range.

If Sidibe plays 70% of what he did yesterday game in and game out that is a gamer changer right there.

Not to mention the 2 guys coming in next year...

The sky is not falling

if we had stewart, i think wed be a top 10 team

Hard to know but if he were THAT big of a difference maker you'd think his team would do better than 3-13 in the P-12. I get that he'd be a big upgrade but he's not the missing link. We have many more issues than just the center position. Our center went for 17/15 yesterday and we still got beat by double digits at home by a 5-13 team in the ACC.

Hard to know but if he were THAT big of a difference maker you'd think his team would do better than 3-13 in the P-12. I get that he'd be a big upgrade but he's not the missing link. We have many more issues than just the center position. Our center went for 17/15 yesterday and we still got beat by double digits at home by a 5-13 team in the ACC.
Sidibe has been better later but he doesn’t command defensive attention. Teams will try yo shut down Eli and our shooters and if Sidibe beats them, so be it.

Stewart would either command a double team or score 30 ( if he got enough looks), which opens it up fir everyone else

Sidibe has been better later but he doesn’t command defensive attention. Teams will try yo shut down Eli and our shooters and if Sidibe beats them, so be it.

Stewart would either command a double team or score 30 ( if he got enough looks), which opens it up fir everyone else

Fair enough but I guess where we differ is valuing the other four spots on the floor. The quality there, in my opinion anyway, does not match what top ten level teams possess.

Fair enough but I guess where we differ is valuing the other four spots on the floor. The quality there, in my opinion anyway, does not match what top ten level teams possess.
I just think with that guy in the middle, we would look a whole lot different.

I just think with that guy in the middle, we would look a whole lot different.

We would be better, no doubt. Top ten better? That wildly overvalues the other four dudes on the court, imo.

I just think with that guy in the middle, we would look a whole lot different
Regardless of improvment/talent-
Would be better watching opponents ricochet off OUR big guy, instead of our guys get knocked around!

I think we'll be better next year and better than that the year afterwards, due to all the young players on the roster. When you have no seniors you are supposed to be optimistic about the future.

I'd share your sentiment a lot more if this was still the era whose #44 they finally retired yesterday. However, those days are long gone, and, nowadays, if there are seniors on the roster (as you are alluding to for next year) it's generally an indication that there's somewhat of a talent deficiency. Otherwise, in today's climate, they would've moved on beforehand.

image.jpg

Based on the close games we lost I think it's pretty reasonable to see this team would have 5-7 more wins.

I don't know - we're 173rd in 3 point FG % and 245th in rebound margin. We would be improved for sure - but top 10?

I don't know - we're 173rd in 3 point FG % and 245th in rebound margin. We would be improved for sure - but top 10?

I don’t think you understood what I said. 5-7 more wins puts us at about the same record as UVA and I do think our 3 point percentage and rebounding improves a ton with IS. That’s a no brainer to me.

I don’t think you understood what I said. 5-7 more wins puts us at about the same record as UVA and I do think our 3 point percentage and rebounding improves a ton with IS. That’s a no brainer to me.

No I understood you but the ongoing discussion was about whether we'd be a top 10 team. I've already acknowledged we'd be a better team for sure. My disagreement is with those who think Stewart would vault us into the top 10 or even the top 20. We have other weaknesses beyond the center position that can't be glossed over with the addition of one guy.

No I understood you but the ongoing discussion was about whether we'd be a top 10 team. I've already acknowledged we'd be a better team for sure. My disagreement is with those who think Stewart would vault us into the top 10 or even the top 20. We have other weaknesses beyond the center position that can't be glossed over with the addition of one guy.

When we played Duke I felt that the rosters were comparable except they had Vernon Carey. Isaiah Stewart could have been our Vernon Carey.

IS wouldn't affect the 3pt% defense and often times our center is out of place for rebounding because they are instructed to challenge at the foul line.

His biggest impact would be on the offensive side.

We will suck in perpetuity on D if the top of the zone doesn't change.

When we played Duke I felt that the rosters were comparable except they had Vernon Carey. Isaiah Stewart could have been our Vernon Carey.

I don't think the rosters are comparable but that's just my opinion. You do have to ask yourself if Stewart is that great - comparing him to one of the best big guys in the country in Carey - then why is his team on the way to a 3-15 record in the P-12? I get he's not surrounded by much but damn if he were that big of a stud then by accident they'd win a few more games.

I don't think the rosters are comparable but that's just my opinion. You do have to ask yourself if Stewart is that great - comparing him to one of the best big guys in the country in Carey - then why is his team on the way to a 3-15 record in the P-12? I get he's not surrounded by much but damn if he were that big of a stud then by accident they'd win a few more games.

Their sizes and numbers are certainly comparable. Their teams obviously are not.

Carey had 26 points and 17 rebounds against us while Bourama had 8 and 7. Yet were ahead most of the first half and lost by 9.

The 2 previous years he had pretty much nothing to do with recruiting and the roster and won big.

If Quade was ours and he got declared ineligible midseason we would be making ALL KINDS of excuses for a Quade-less young team.

Both the bad and the good should make Mike a better coach going forward. I'd personally consider making the move sooner rather than later bc I don't see JB putting a contender together if Eli leaves in the next 2 years.

How do people like you not understand that Jim Boeheim will go out when he feels like going out..I know it’s frustrating that Syracuse doesn’t seem to be Syracuse anymore but the guy deserves it bottom line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom