Waters | Syracusefan.com

Waters

H

HOFCeluck

Does anyone think he will go against the grain and not put 2003 in his top spot?

Does anyone think he will go against the grain and not put 2003 in his top spot?

No chance.

We've all got our biases.

His reasoning isn't consistent, but his favorite teams have been predictable.

Dion Waiters, Brandon Triche, Scoop Jardine, Kris Joseph, Rak, Fab, BMK and CJ were perty goooood

11-12 was my favorite team of all time, 09-10 RIGHT behind that and obviously 03 RIGHT behind that one. I'd say they're all pretty much equal but if I had to separate the three I would do them in that order.

C'mon guys get on the ball. If you said 1987 you're doing it wrong.

you mean other than winning the toughest 6 games? I understand your point but 2003 has to be #1

This is the same team that lost to Rutgers and lost twice to UCONN. I
Would really have no problem if 1989, 2010, or even 2012 were in the top,spot.

It makes sense. He's basically been ranking teams based on how they met expectations. Teams that underachieved have been ranked lower than less talented teams that overachieved. A preseason unranked team that wins the national championship, while beating two #1 seeds on the way, has to be #1.

I would have agreed before rewatchimg some of the game against OU and Texas. Our team looked like absolute world crushers compared to any of the last four or five years.
Agreed. That was a team that grew throughout the year. That '03 team head to head with any other team on the list would have the best player on the court, with the possible exception of the '89-'91 teams, but it did what no Syracuse team has ever done.

Do we hava any unbeaten teams? The '87 team lost to G-town 3 times

I truly believe if Onuaku had not gotten hurt that we would have quite easily won the title that year. That team was legit.
You may be right, but he did and we'll never know what would've been. The same could be suggested of the 89-90 team when DC hurt his back and was half the player he should've been, and he was the best player in the country that year.

Do we hava any unbeaten teams? The '87 team lost to G-town 3 times

So you think that the 1987 Georgetown team, that won the Big East, was a top seed in the tournament, and who we lost our regular season games to by a combined three points is a valid comparison to Rutgers.

You may be right, but he did and we'll never know what would've been. The same could be suggested of the 89-90 team when DC hurt his back and was half the player he should've been, and he was the best player in the country that year.

i would put 2003 first,, obviously, but that team would be 2nd for me. the Fab Melo team 3rd.

I don't know if the regular season success of those teams trump the NC. 2012 has loses to Cincy and Notre Dame. Cincy was solid that year but Notre Dame stunk. 2010 had no losses as bad as a Rutgers loss, but the '03 losses to UConn are no worse than the '12 Louisville losses and, again, the NC while beating two #1 seeds pushes the '03 team ahead. The '89 team was stacked, I'd take in a head to head match up against any team in school history, but 8 losses and an elite 8 loss probably make for a worse season than '03.

I don't know if the regular season success of those teams trump the NC. 2012 has loses to Cincy and Notre Dame. Cincy was solid that year but Notre Dame stunk. 2010 had no losses as bad as a Rutgers loss, but the '03 losses to UConn are no worse than the '12 Louisville losses and, again, the NC while beating two #1 seeds pushes the '03 team ahead. The '89 team was stacked, I'd take in a head to head match up against any team in school history, but 8 losses and an elite 8 loss probably make for a worse season than '03.

Notre Dame finished third in the League in 2012.

I'm not just looking at it for the standpoint of postseason success, but the year as a whole. And while 2003 obviously had the best finish, they did struggle a bit before getting to that point.

Which isn't to say that I'd have a big issue if 2003 was number one. I would just give a lot of consideration to 10 or 89.

Notre Dame finished third in the League in 2012.

I'm not just looking at it for the standpoint of postseason success, but the year as a whole. And while 2003 obviously had the best finish, they did struggle a bit before getting to that point.

Which isn't to say that I'd have a big issue if 2003 was number one. I would just give a lot of consideration to 10 or 89.
I'm curious what '89 is based on? They had more losses and lost earlier in the tournament. Don't get wrong. I love that team. I just don't think their season was as good.

I put wes johnson team #1. Maybe 87 and then 03.
An argument can be made for that, but I don't think that's what Waters is doing. He's ranking the success of the seasons.

I'm curious what '89 is based on? They had more losses and lost earlier in the tournament. Don't get wrong. I love that team. I just don't think their season was as good.

Bias toward the teams of the 80s/early nineties. Overall better play in college ball.

And Waters is only ranking teams that he covered. So you're not going to see the 1987 team at all.

So you think that the 1987 Georgetown team, that won the Big East, was a top seed in the tournament, and who we lost our regular season games to by a combined three points is a valid comparison to Rutgers.
The Rutgers game was at rutgers. A tough place to play. We were a young team that got better and better. By now, you should know that what happens in January is not who you might be in march. You made a point about losing twice to Uconn. Neither game was at syracuse. We lost at home, at D.C. and at MSG to G-town. The 03 team led almost the entire ncaa tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom